The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

This is a good move for us.  Getting an extra 1st round pick (even late one) for only money is a good transaction, provided we don't put ourselves in a bad cap situation.  Like we are ever near the cap.  We have two more years of HWSNBN buyout.  Put that with Darling and Marleau, we are at our max buyout level for the next two seasons.  I agree that something else will be a stirring before FA starts.

I am glad that we used an actual asset (cap space) to make a move..  And from what I read, they are going to try and convince Marleau to play in Raleigh next year.  If he does not want to, they will buy him out and move on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cane-addict-1 said:

ok.... So I see it now. If he doesnt play here we spent $800k on 1st. Im fine with that!

More than that.  800k is salary at 2/3rds. Still have to pay his bonuses.

$3m bonus, so $3.8m total cost.  Just read that next year's draft is supposed to be the deepest in a long time, with picks in the latter part of the 1st round equivalent to those in the middle part of the round in most years.  Gotta believe that Tulsky was a major player in the discussion, crafting a cost/ risk/ reward algorithm that takes into account where Leafs are likely to end up next season, the depth of the draft, and the likelihood of that pick paying off for the Canes.  Apparently, $3.8m made sense.

Just now, LakeLivin said:

$3m bonus, so $3.8m total cost.  Just read that next year's draft is supposed to be the deepest in a long time, with picks in the latter part of the 1st round equivalent to those in the middle part of the round in most years.  Gotta believe that Tulsky was a major player in the discussion, crafting a cost/ risk/ reward algorithm that takes into account where Leafs are likely to end up next season, the depth of the draft, and the likelihood of that pick paying off for the Canes.  Apparently, $3.8m made sense.

2020 draft supposedly has 6 franchise level players in it.

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

2020 draft supposedly has 6 franchise level players in it.

Interesting, of course the top end isn't going to be relevant to this trade (and hopefully the Canes overall, as I'd hate to think we end up in a lottery position).  Gonna be positions 11-31 (I'm guessing most likely 16 -25) that we end up with.

When does Luke Hughes enter the draft?  If the Leafs stink up the joint enough next year to push our pick to 2021 and then stink it up again next season enough to get a lottery pick...

In the grand scheme of things 3.8 million is chump change for a professional sports organization. 

That 1st round pick has significant value.

Like Brian Lawton said teams are weaponizing their cap space. It was a crafty move that benefits both teams. Toronto got cap space, we got a 1st rounder because the Leafs were desperate.

Having said that, of course I’m still hoping this is a prelude to a bigger move.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

But that's just if, slapshot, I would bet that SJS will resign and if not, I'd doubt that we could attract him here? I'd love it if I were wrong.

Their cap is tight with what they need to do. Send Marleau back + and trade and sign Pavelski.

• Like 1

Supposedly Faulk may go to Washington for a defender they cannot sign, Priskie, plus unknown.

According to Sara. She is on Cory level for me. Not overly connected so, probably doesn’t mean a lot.

Edited by gocanes0506

Trading Faulk for an unsigned 6th round draft pick,to a team within the division, doesn't make any sense. If that's all we can get for him, I either wouldn't trade him, or wait for the deadline. .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Ok to clarify cuz Sara was confusing:

we might acquire Priskie and to give him a roster slot move Faulk elsewhere 

God I hope so...cause the Craps can go bleep themselves...especially after

refusing to trade Grubauer to us last year! 

• Like 1

All these face value weird moves got us to the ECF last season so i'll just buckle up this time, but moving Faulk within the division would be kind of ballsy maneuver.

8 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Give me a break.

Fine. What would you like broken?

I love it when other posters intentionally misrepresent what the posters they are trying to criticize have actually said. Look at Faulk's numbers, his salary, and that fact that nobody will give us anyone of value and take his contract, coastal. The market has set his value, not me. If you don't like my pointing it out, use the ignore button.

5 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

To wit, could a $10m+ AAV Aho contract leave players like Turbo, Slavin and Pesce feeling like fools for recently signing great, long term team friendly deals?

Exactly.

Again, look at Gaudreau, who put up 16 more points than SeaBass this year. If we do anything more than that with Aho at this point in his development, we dis other players and limit our ability to pay guys who can play with him. Which sounds a little too familiar for me.

My guess is that Aho decided this is a nice place to develop and then see what he can get, and that's what he's doing. But why let him name his price? There's no need; he's an RFA.

If we let the summer go by without signing him and nobody offer sheets him for the number he wants, we prove our point. If he does get offer sheeted at that number or higher, we can match it--or not. We hold all the cards. Why fold when we control the play?

4 hours ago, cane-addict-1 said:

Am I the only one concerned TD paid $3mil or whatever the buyout amount is for a 1st that may or may not turn into anything?.

Probably. My guess is we move that first AND Marleau to SJ for pretty much whatever roster player we name, and retain some of Marleau's salary as a sweetener.