The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

12 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I bet he's asking for market value, and it's not what he's making now.  Regardless, there is more than one way to skin a cat than having the entire process of acquiring another legit top-6 scorer hinge on a Faulk trade.  Sure, he could be an important part of it, but we have assets and maybe it just takes a couple of trades to get it done.  Stuck isn't what comes to mind for me.

I guess meant we'd be stuck in terms of Faulk himself, of getting neither value, nor signing him if his ask is just too big. But that's something we rarely ever know, and is subjective. I agree that the team is not stuck in terms of any trade if we lose Faulk to a small return, in that we just have so many assets in the pipeline, including two first round picks in a very deep draft next year. It just seems less than ideal if Faulk follows the Skinner pathway. 

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

I'm just curious about this. We seem to have such a good track record with these types, Fox, Johnson,etc. And we've got enough Dmen to field 3 teams. What makes us think that we'd be any more successful than we were with Fox selling this guy on coming here? And rem, you were the main champion of Adam Fox, which I enjoined as I too would have loved to have gotten him into our system. Now why do we want to get our hopes up on another Hobey Baker finalist? A consolation prize (just kidding)? Do we have some type of schtick I don't know about?

My thing about Fox and I'm assuming this is also part of the reason we'd be looking at Priskie is that we need a QB for the PP. According to Forslund, the three positions we lack for the PP are distributer/forward, big bumper position guy and mostly PP QB. 

Faulk and Dougie have effective shots, but are not elite decision making, pass-seeing "facilitators" of the PP. The idea is adding basically two high end passer, decision making types, one at PP, and one at forward, would help the PP a lot. Fox seemed to be that guy in spades. But he was easier to research and really get a read on that Priskie. Also, Fox put up those kind of numbers pretty much all 4 years, whereas Priskie really busted out his senior year. There is this yearly march to jump on those late blossoming college UFA's, but according to one expert I heard recently, they often don't pan out in the NHL, or at least not as much as hoped. Kind of like players who stay the max years in Junior Hockey and bust out that last year tend to be pretty iffy too.

Priskie's goal total is pretty amazing. 10 PP goals in 36 games. That would be 22 PP goals in 82 games, and 39 total goals. But I'm just looking at what I can find on the internet. Is the guy a puck mover? His D was suspect early in his college career, but has he closed that down?

Anyway, I'm guessing that the only D we're really on the look out for, is PP QB, offensive types. 

Would he sign here? Yeah, I agree, same roadblock Fox saw. And he is on record saying that's why he didn't sign with Washington. So it does seem a bit odd. At least Waddell didn't put our chances at 99.9%.

11 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

As far as not having a 6 million cap man, that ended today. We already had a 6 million dollar salary man in Faulk. On top of that we have another in Dougie.

If i was a betting man it would have been something small like a 6th round pick. We weren’t doing 2 2nd rounders to get a 2 month head start on a soon to be UFA with 0 NHL time.  Heck a 60 point NHLer just fetched a 5th rounder to get a jump on negotiating.  No way the Craps could get more for Priskie.m

aho will happen. Since they are a part on years of length, it usually takes longer to negotiate years than a difference in salary.  You need to have conversations about different year lengths and salaries at each. Of course he isn’t the only focus. Potentially taking time to talk to UFAs starting tomorrow.

In terms of my post, we aren't paying anyone over $6 million/year. The cap hit doesn't matter as we're more of a floor type team. I think it's a safe bet that Aho will break that ceiling, but as of right now, no? 

I agree with part two. The price to get a little over a month to woo Priskie would be very low. I'm guessing we'd do that, and basically ask him if he'd sign with us if we traded a path for him by trading Faulk. Then really squeeze Faulk and trade him if he balked. Maybe with the limited NTC we'd get more than Pu. I would think he'd get us another first rounder, but what else? 

Waddell said at the draft that the team and Aho really were not that far apart. But who knows? I just don't see us not getting this done fairly soon. Even if we are cheap. (Not saying we are, but even if we are).

45 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

I realize draft picks after after the first 10-15 are lottery tickets, but I don’t understand trading the 37th pick. There were several players that were highly regarded by many still available. We already have a minor league system full of prospects. I would think we needed quality over quantity. If the 83rd pick pans out in 3-4 years, I guess I’ll stand corrected.

As a rule I'm not a fan of trading down unless the offer is huge. But Waddell admitted that the team had about 4-5 guys ranked equally at that point and thought they could still get one of them trading down. I'm assuming we did, but then again, I'm not sure he actually said we did. 

14 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

Rather a prescient article, isn't it? I could see a scenario with Marleau that's exactly as presented.

I would have to think, however, that the Hurricanes would balk at being left holding the bag for the $3million bonus. I still don't know how they'd work that all out.

It's interesting, but IMO they lose a lot of credibility with the '(Pesce) isn't the catch teammate Dougie Hamilton would be'.  They obviously view 'catchiness' in defensemen very differently than i do.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

It's interesting, but IMO they lose a lot of credibility with the '(Pesce) isn't the catch teammate Dougie Hamilton would be'.  They obviously view 'catchiness' in defensemen very differently than i do.

This!  Pesce would easily catch us more in a trade than Dougie would (and I don’t want to trade either of em)

With the cap limit now announced, I'd see if VGK would be willing to work a deal for William Karlsson. Looks like they're going to sign him at 8 years/5.9M AAV. They still need defense.

8 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

With the cap limit now announced, I'd see if VGK would be willing to work a deal for William Karlsson. Looks like they're going to sign him at 8 years/5.9M AAV. They still need defense.

Dang 8 x 5.9!!!!  Great deal.

they will need clear 7.7 million plus whatever else they need to make a full roster. Supposedly they want to keep the Russian on so they need clear 11+.

I’d be happy taking Haula, Miller and Subban plus take on Clarkson from them for Kuokkanen and the Rangers pick.

Edited by gocanes0506

Looks like Karlsson really wants to stay in Vegas, so highly unlikely he'd be traded to us, especially with that deal. VGK is at $89M, so they have to shed some salary. Any thoughts about Cody Eakin along with Haula or Miller? 

3 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

This!  Pesce would easily catch us more in a trade than Dougie would (and I don’t want to trade either of em)

I think Pesce’s contract, and the fact that he is a credible first pair defender makes him far more valuable than Hamilton. I’m not down on Hamilton at all, but we only have him for 2 more years, at something like 140% of Pesce’s salary. Of course if someone is looking for an offensive defenseman, Hamilton is their guy. Then there is Faulk, whom Eklund has going to the Craps in something that is almost a done deal. I know Eklund is usually full of crap, but unless there is a proven NHL ready top 6 forward coming back, I’d rather keep Faulk and let him walk next year (or depending on how the year goes, trade him at the deadline for whatever we can get) than trade him to Washington.

For those that don’t go to Hockey Buzz because Eklund and their in house people are usually full of poop, go for the entertainment value of reading what all of their Pittsburgh bloggers have to say about JR. They dump on him EVERY DAY!!! It’s priceless.

Edited by bluedevilcane
  • Like 1

Just now, bluedevilcane said:

For those that don’t go to Hockey Buzz because Eklund and their in house people are usually full of poop, go for the entertainment value of reading what all of their Pittsburgh bloggers have to say about JR. The dump on him EVERY DAY!!! It’s priceless.

And totally deserving of it 

So, sounds like initial discussions with Faulk did not go so well.  More fuel for the media. The bigger problem is that we are investing major $s in our "D" and have not solved the PP quarterback problem. And, no, Hamilton is not the answer. Perhaps the reported interest in Chase Priskie fits into that. If he is, indeed, ready to play at the NHL level, this could be a low-cost option with potentially high return  But, to me, it seems really strange for us to go after him following the Adam Fox debacle. I find it hard to believe that Donny W. would go into this without a very strong feeling he can get it done. Yes, we have Bean and Fleury as lefties able to contribute this year. (Bean likely needs another year in Charlotte).The only rightie of note is Rollie McKeown, who seems to be ready, but for some unknown reason is a forgotten man. So, in fact, our dept on defence is not a strong as it first appears. Perhaps the wildcard in all of this is Jesper Sellgren. He is probably a year away also but really showed something in the Checkers run to the Calder. So, where does that leave us. We need another top 6 forward (a center would be ideal) and a PP QB, for sure. Maybe a tender, too, depending on what happens with Petr.  And, by all accounts, Faulk is our best currency to help make that happen.

9 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

It's been reported publicly on at least 4 occasions by Waddell that both sides are negotiating a max-term deal.

If we're determined to hang the next 10 years of payroll on a 21-year-old kid who may or may not fill out enough to compete at the highest level in this league for the duration of his deal, that makes us even dumber. Negotiations that are limited to a single set of parameters are not negotiations at all, they're standoffs.

But hey, it's TD's cow. He can milk it any way he wants. I'm just having a really hard time seeing what's the hurry. Do a deal at 7 million for each of the next three years, and assuming Aho's progress continues and he is able to stand the grind, fantastic--give him his payoff after the second year, with a 10-year extension at an 8.5 million AAV (or whatever). Now you've got a more-seasoned player that you're confident will make it--and you've locked him down until he's 33 (assuming a 10-year extension).

Edited by top-shelf-1

Canes actually on list of Duchene teams to meet with. That's kinda jazzy. Not that it means anything or it's a good fit. Jazzy nonetheless.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Canes actually on list of Duchene teams to meet with. That's kinda jazzy. Not that it means anything or it's a good fit. Jazzy nonetheless.

I haven’t seen that from a reliable source, LeBrun said his agent is taking calls to lineup potential suitors. 

13 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I haven’t seen that from a reliable source, LeBrun said his agent is taking calls to lineup potential suitors. 

I'm just going off of a Twitter source quoted on Canes Country. Supposedly Canes Habs and Preds. I don't have an inside guy like I did on the Nino trade.

Edited by sleekfeeder

San Jose blogger on HB is saying especially with the lowered cap, they don’t really have room for Marleau at any price, and that the majority of posts on social media are against him coming back. Of course, management may think otherwise. But if they don’t want him and he refuses to play for the Hurricanes, what does that mean for our cap? Wouldn’t he just be suspended without pay? Or maybe he decides to play here after all. I want JWilly to come back, and I’m not sure we really want to field a team with 2 39 year old players on it. Plus it blocks someone from moving up from Charlotte. I’ll bet he does get bought out and goes back to San Jose, but there are other possibilities.

Its Ek but he says we are after Lehner. I have to think Waddell made that call just in case...

Also Anders Lee is available. 

Edited by cane-addict-1

31 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

San Jose blogger on HB is saying especially with the lowered cap, they don’t really have room for Marleau at any price, and that the majority of posts on social media are against him coming back. Of course, management may think otherwise. But if they don’t want him and he refuses to play for the Hurricanes, what does that mean for our cap? Wouldn’t he just be suspended without pay? Or maybe he decides to play here after all. I want JWilly to come back, and I’m not sure we really want to field a team with 2 39 year old players on it. Plus it blocks someone from moving up from Charlotte. I’ll bet he does get bought out and goes back to San Jose, but there are other possibilities.

Have faith, I would think that Waddell fully explored this, and a "blogger on HB" has about as much credibility as I do? I just do not think that we'll be left holding the bag on this?

Edited by KJUNKANE

12 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

we aren’t far off with Mrazek

This is really funny gocanes, do you ever think we were "far off"? I always thought that the $$$ was there, the problem, like Aho, is term?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

This is really funny gocanes, do you ever think we were "far off"? I always thought that the $$$ was there, the problem, like Aho, is term?

Article

DeCock doesn’t say what far is.