The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

Forsberg gets signed on a 2 way deal and AHWSNBN is bought out.

DeHaan gone creates a spot to move a Checker into.  DeHaan was out half this year anyway.  Seemingly ends speculation that Pesce could be moved, and that's a good thing.  Faulk must be looked at as returning.  I like DeHaan, but I can see the logic in moving a +$4M 3rd pairing guy. 

Saarela had no path to Raleigh.  You can't just keep guys there forever that start running into waivers issues.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I agree with just about everything except number 8. We have no idea what TD's internal cap may be. If he has a limit on what he intends to spend it obviously effects his options on possible trades or UFA's/RFA's. Yeah we are barely at the Cap floor, but who knows what TD's internal budget is. I dont forsee him going to the cap ceiling.

I don't either, year in and year out--but when a team gets as close as this one just did, I could see him spending pretty darned close to the cap for a year or two. Maybe it puts them over the top, maybe it doesn't--but regardless, it puts butts in the seats and buys our CLT garden time to grow.

21 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

We need seven D who are ready to go on Oct 1. We snuck into the dance this year against all odds, and I have to think that winning early and being at or near the top of the pack is the plan, because that shiz an't gonna happen two years in a row. I really think moving out DeHaan is as simple as that--although I'm still wondering if the Hawks might be willing to take Darling back if we retain some salary. Cheaper than a buy out, and if he's going to come back--big if--his odds for doing it are probably best in Chicago. 

Pure speculation.

I surely hope they bring McKeown back.  TVR and Faulk each have 1 year left on their deals, so we have 3 frontline Dmen signed beyond that (Slavin, Pesce, and Hamilton) to go along with Fleury, Bean, hopefully Mckeown, and the new acquisition.  If TVR is not ready to go for the opener then may McKeown starts in his place.

• Like 1

Avalanche making similar trades to dump cap to get to 40, yes 40, million in space.  

They have to re-sign their big RFA and couple of other good RFAs. They could Potentially get another 10 million UFA and a 6-8 million UFA.  

I just read that the Canes are offering Aho 8 years at $6M per year.  That can not be correct, can it?  

I hope Dundon's doo doo with minor league football is not getting in the way of operating the Canes like an NHL entity.

6 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I just read that the Canes are offering Aho 8 years at $6M per year.  That can not be correct, can it?  

I hope Dundon's doo doo with minor league football is not getting in the way of operating the Canes like an NHL entity.

The most likely scenario is that that was the offer before last season started (not a bad starting point at that time, imo), someone put it out there as the current offer, and the rumor grew.  Dundon isn't an idiot.

Edited by LakeLivin

3 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Our goalie situation is like a used car lot. What lemon still drives?

Ironic in connection with our owner, that you use this reference.

• Like 1

I wonder how much the waiver situation for different players factored into the de Haan trade.  McKeown and Fleury are both subject to waivers this season and I've got to believe that someone would scoop either of  them up if they hit the wire.  So, either need to create a spot on the Canes or move them before the season starts. Carrick as well, but I don't have a feel for his status.

Also, unless they move Faulk I'm going on the assumption that Canes are considering Pesce a LD, especially given how successful he was there at the end of last season.

Edited by LakeLivin

Waddell's press conference wrap up:

Talked to Faulk's rep. Have a difference in value.  Want to win this year so they will play it out

No decision on Darling.  May go out until the last minute to see if they can move him

Talk to Mrazek daily

Can and will match any offer sheet to Aho. Offer sheets are blown out of proportion

Everyone will be qualified

Brown, Pots, and McKegg are welcome back but their agents want to explore other options ( I assume a NHL starting job)

Forslund and Tripp are all but signed

Decision on Mike V will come by the end of the week. We want him back

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I read that as well. Aho's agent probably chuckled. This one may drag on awhile.Just saw Waddell's comment on Aho. He will match any offer sheet on Aho.

Edited by slapshot02

24 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Want to win this year so they will play it out

Then more substantial moves better be coming.

More from Waddell: *Confident that the team will sign a #1 goalie (having daily conversations with Mrazek). *Next 3-4 days will make a decision on Scott Darling. *Not planning on trading Faulk, conversations about extension went better than reported

15 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:
  • *Next 3-4 days will make a decision on Scott Darling.

What can possibly be the decision?  Probably have him on the NHL marketplace at half price clearance and they are waiting to see if anyone is that crazy. 

6 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

What can possibly be the decision?  Probably have him on the NHL marketplace at half price clearance and they are waiting to see if anyone is that crazy. 

We have to sign another goalie to buy him out

or

we find someone to take him, however unlikely that is

There’s a video on TSN of Darren Draeger practically advocating other teams to weaponize the offer sheet against us and force a $11M annual contract against Aho that’s basically a $1M contract with a $10M annual bonus, forcing us to spend $20M in gate revenue in 12 months on him.  

How in the *edit* can someone advocate for an action that will bring financial ruin to an organization just for the sake of making a point!?!?  There are times I really wish some of these ****tards north of the border would just be flamed into oblivion. 

13 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

There’s a video on TSN of Darren Draeger practically advocating other teams to weaponize the offer sheet against us and force a $11M annual contract against Aho that’s basically a $1M contract with a $10M annual bonus, forcing us to spend $20M in gate revenue in 12 months on him.  

How in the *edit* can someone advocate for an action that will bring financial ruin to an organization just for the sake of making a point!?!?  There are times I really wish some of these ****tards north of the border would just be flamed into oblivion. 

Yeah that was Gord Miller another Canadian Sportscaster. Insane. https://www.tsn.ca/video/lls-aho-062519~1715262

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

I read that as well. Aho's agent probably chuckled. This one may drag on awhile.Just saw Waddell's comment on Aho. He will match any offer sheet on Aho.

Agree. Whether we pay him like Gaudreau or not, I could see this going until early October unless an offer sheet speeds the process.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

How in the *edit* can someone advocate for an action that will bring financial ruin to an organization just for the sake of making a point!?!?

It's a long summer, and dead air don't sell.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

I agree with just about everything except number 8. We have no idea what TD's internal cap may be. If he has a limit on what he intends to spend it obviously effects his options on possible trades or UFA's/RFA's. Yeah we are barely at the Cap floor, but who knows what TD's internal budget is. I dont forsee him going to the cap ceiling.

So let me get this straight. We are a budget hockey team that just made a deep playoff run, owned by a guy who just blew $70 million on a 4 week experiment with an ill fated underfunded football league.

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Talked to Faulk's rep. Have a difference in value.  Want to win this year so they will play it out

No decision on Darling.  May go out until the last minute to see if they can move him

Talk to Mrazek daily

Can and will match any offer sheet to Aho. Offer sheets are blown out of proportion

Everyone will be qualified

Brown, Pots, and McKegg are welcome back but their agents want to explore other options ( I assume a NHL starting job)

Forslund and Tripp are all but signed

Decision on Mike V will come by the end of the week. We want him back

So we traded deHaan for spare parts and we intend to keep (hopefully resign) Faulk. I guess the big D for O trade ain’t happening. Does this mean we’re in on a free agent, or on offense, we like our group (including our star player we have not signed). Maybe there will be some clarity after July 1st, but right now, I’m puzzled.

• Like 1

After all the speculation of trading a damn for an offensive weapon, the Canes are all of a sudden short defenders.  I am really interested to see how the Canes get the offensive firepower they need now.  Doesn’t seem likely unless the Canes trade draft picks and high end prospects.  Not sure if they want to go that route though. 

40 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

So let me get this straight. We are a budget hockey team that just made a deep playoff run, owned by a guy who just blew $70 million on a 4 week experiment with an ill fated underfunded football league.

Agreed pretty crazy but TD was betting that the AAF and it's technology would bring him millions beyond his wildest dreams while the Canes are not in that position to do so. Everyone has a budget versus potential returns. TD's not happy about the AAF debacle and wants his money back.  https://fanbuzz.com/aaf/tom-dundon-aaf-refund/

Edited by slapshot02

23 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

After all the speculation of trading a damn for an offensive weapon, the Canes are all of a sudden short defenders.  I am really interested to see how the Canes get the offensive firepower they need now.  Doesn’t seem likely unless the Canes trade draft picks and high end prospects.  Not sure if they want to go that route though. 

We were short on defenders either way. We just happened to ship out the one that may have been hurt going in.