The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

12 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Agreed pretty crazy but TD was betting that the AFL technology would bring him millions beyond his wildest dreams while the Canes are not in that position to do so. Everyone has a budget versus potential returns. TD's not happy about the AFL debacle and wants his money back.  https://fanbuzz.com/aaf/tom-dundon-aaf-refund/

The technology theory has been pretty much debunked; multiple sources say Dundon wasn't really interested in that part of the AAF.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/30/alliance-american-football-aaf-collapse-charlie-ebersol-tom-dundon

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

There’s a video on TSN of Darren Draeger practically advocating other teams to weaponize the offer sheet against us and force a $11M annual contract against Aho that’s basically a $1M contract with a $10M annual bonus, forcing us to spend $20M in gate revenue in 12 months on him.  

How in the *edit* can someone advocate for an action that will bring financial ruin to an organization just for the sake of making a point!?!?  There are times I really wish some of these ****tards north of the border would just be flamed into oblivion. 

Luckily the NHL is not the NFL or  NBA  or  MLB .   There might be some stupid gm's   some  bung hole gms  but there is not evil gm's  like they got that would do something like that , it's a  unwritten general rule in the nhl to be neighborly to one another    and try not to make enemies   out of some teams . 

22 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

The technology theory has been pretty much debunked; multiple sources say Dundon wasn't really interested in that part of the AAF.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/30/alliance-american-football-aaf-collapse-charlie-ebersol-tom-dundon

I've read those as well but am not convinced he did not have an interest. In any event I'm still having a hard time understanding how a billionaire did not do proper due diligence before investing. He claims information was not provided to him. I'm not buying his claims as the information should of been identified during due diligence. 

• Like 1

Josh Welsey not extended a qualifying offer, which kinda bums me out because i was impressed with what i saw from him this season.

Ty Rattie, PDG, and Ryan Murphy not qualified by their teams.  Just say no (i'm sure the Canes will).

24 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Josh Welsey not extended a qualifying offer, which kinda bums me out because i was impressed with what i saw from him this season.

Ty Rattie, PDG, and Ryan Murphy not qualified by their teams.  Just say no (i'm sure the Canes will).

Ryan Murphy is still out there? Huh. 

3 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Yeah that was Gord Miller another Canadian Sportscaster. Insane. https://www.tsn.ca/video/lls-aho-062519~1715262

Oh their piling on, but I think Dundon might be drawing some of the fire. And adding to the "we don't pay past $6million" thing that's been going on to this point. I got to say, I was thinking that Dundon might just not care enough to not offer sheet someone, but now I'm thinking the rest of the league might not care enough about Dundon not to offersheet him. And if he tries to hold the line on Aho at $6 million, he just might draw an offersheet. Probably not, but you never know.

From mynhlhockeyrumors.com:

On Hurricanes RFA Sebastian Aho

@BeerLeaugeHeroe: John Shannon on @OilersNow yesterday said that the Hurricanes are only willing to go to $6 million on an eight-year deal.

@Prospects_Watch: Dreger on TSN 1050 said that if he were going to try and sign a restricted free agent to an offer sheet it would be Carolina Hurricanes Sebastian Aho.  Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon is “all about business” and if you signed Aho at $10.8 million, it might make him think of not matching.

This rumor is beyond BS. That Shannon guy is the same one who said we’d be playing in QC this season.  He got it from Kypreos and Ek 2 days ago. Which both are tabloid level insiders

these guys are trying to pull the attention off Toronto.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

I read that as well. Aho's agent probably chuckled. This one may drag on awhile.Just saw Waddell's comment on Aho. He will match any offer sheet on Aho.

It's better to sign Aho to let's say 8 for $8 mil then match an offer sheet for 5 for $10 mil

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

This rumor is beyond BS. That Shannon guy is the same one who said we’d be playing in QC this season.  He got it from Kypreos and Ek 2 days ago. Which both are tabloid level insiders

These  Toronto  north of the border  Jack offs    are  total tools .  they  hate the fact that a team like the canes is in of all places like carolina . and would   love nothing more than to relocate the team to toronto  or hamilton or quebec city.    they are always sticking their foots in their mouths  and dont care about growing the sport .  if they had it there way  . there  would be 32 teams but they would majority be in canada   ..  and only leave a few in america  that were "  original 6 "     what a joke those talking heads are ! 

Live in upstate NY right across the lake from Toronto and listen to these idiots every day. I go from laughing to being ****** off depending on how bad they get. The only one who is really good is Bob McKenzie and our old friend Jeffy O'Neill has gotten to be one of the biggest bashers of the Canes. Kind of sad but I guess if you're on in Toronto you have to be a Homer.

• Like 1

Great timing Sleek. The boards just came back up.

I'll bite, DeHaan trade, still  head scratching, but picking up Haula is masterful, especially if he is fully recovered from his bizarre knee injury. He put up solid 2C numbers prior ot the injury. I don't think Roy will even hit NHL 3C personally.

Starting to trade our cup team away.

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

Great timing Sleek. The boards just came back up.

I'll bite, DeHaan trade, still  head scratching, but picking up Haula is masterful, especially if he is fully recovered from his bizarre knee injury. He put up solid 2C numbers prior ot the injury.

What was bizarre?  I tried to find details and that's all I hear.  No details like, ACL, MCL, etc.

5 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

What was bizarre?  I tried to find details and that's all I hear.  No details like, ACL, MCL, etc.

What I read involved no details except that the surgeon who fixed him said the procedure was so uncommon, he had only done it one other time.He was in a wheelchair for a good while. Just odd, so might be hard to predict his recovery. Supposedly he was close to coming back for playoffs, but didn't make it. Waddell says they expect him to be ready for camp.

On 6/25/2019 at 8:44 PM, gocanes0506 said:

Like I said, summer. And anything but dead air (or an empty Twitter feed) is acceptable. So you go to the lake house, and between casts, post whatever springs to mind.

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

What I read involved no details except that the surgeon who fixed him said the procedure was so uncommon, he had only done it one other time.

Yikes!  Man you don't want to hear that.

If Vegas beat San Jose, It was said that Haula would have played in the next series.

He’s fine.

The question is will he ever be 100% again. Some return completely, some lose a step. Still a great, low risk move.

I’ve been reading a lot on Haula and Vegas fans over and over are saying they will miss him. Haven’t seen a negative comment which is unusual because when a player gets traded from your team he suddenly becomes garbage.

Apparently Haula is a good skater, good playmaker, he hits some, and he works really hard. He’s supposed to be very versatile, center, wing, PP, P.K. Waddell already said he will be our 3C. He also said no disrespect to Wallmark but him being pushed down is a good thing (I remember someone else saying that Wallmark needed to be our 4C at best).

Great deal. If Haula doesn’t re-sign with us, then we keep the 5th round pick (not that anyone cares).

Ned signed to a two year deal.

Two-way first year, one-way second year.

This should open door for Darling buyout no?

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 8:27 PM, remkin said:

@Prospects_Watch: Dreger on TSN 1050 said that if he were going to try and sign a restricted free agent to an offer sheet it would be Carolina Hurricanes Sebastian Aho.  Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon is “all about business” and if you signed Aho at $10.8 million, it might make him think of not matching.

Was it Dreger who said Faulk was headed to Washington for Priskie's rights? 

Regardless, I just don't get the whole "TD won't spend money" thing. That was true a year ago, while he found his feet in this business, and good on him for his moderation: It got him a finalist for GM of the year and confirmation that Roddy was the right choice for HC (and I was one of the loudest doubters on the latter here).

If we're gonna have a hands-on owner, I want one who knows how to judge his managers' abilities and who considers the full arc of player's careers. Then there's the fact that Dreger is just an idiot. There is no team in hockey that's going to take that bet, because if you lose it (which in this case would mean Dundon calls your bluff, and you have to sign him) you've just lost 11 million in cap (read: options) for every one of the next eight years. If Aho cannot stand the demands of this league for the long haul, you lose twice. That Dreger is stupid enough to suggest it won't make one NHL team dumb enough to chance it.

So what could happen? This is pure speculation, but stay with me.

Let's say Aho won't take less than $8.5 million on an 8-year deal--$64 million. So offer him 7 million for 6 years (42 million), with a gentlemen's agreement: If he grows into what we believe he will, we'll do another 6 years at $9 million a year (54 million more, a 12-year total of $96 million). He'd be 27. The overpayment in the latter years of the second deal would hopefully be as in appreciation for the Cup(s?) he's brought us as much as for helping us work within the constraints that small-market teams must if they want to survive.

On top of that, Aho would make more sooner over the 12 years of that kind of deal than he would make at what would certainly be the less than 8 million a year he'd get when his 8-year deal ends and he's staring down 30. For our part, we'd help re-establish the idea that it's fiscally imprudent to give men their payoff deals BEFORE THEY ARE MEN. 

If we were trying to sign Laine, I'd have a totally different opinion. At 21, he already is a man, in purely hockey terms. At the same age, however, Aho is not.

7 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Regardless, I just don't get the whole "TD won't spend money" thing.

I'm going to guess it is because there isn't a history yet. I do agree that it appears Dundon will spend money but when or why he spends it is still a little bit of a guess. As he develops a track record we will hear less of the "he won't spend money" talk and more on what his team building  philosophy is.

I can't imagine that we will let Aho go under almost any circumstance. .

30 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Good move for Huala.  Won't matter if we get crap goal tending.

You've actually watched hockey, right? This team, even? Once or twice anyway?

It always matters if you get crap goaltending.

I think the not spending thing comes from that huge cap gap, the allegedly not wanting to pay Hanifin and Lindholm, and not wanting to pay Skinner. The argument is a bit debunked by the signing of DeHaan to a deep defense, but then that sort of flies out with re-trading him for what amount to prospects, albeit with some NHL time.

But the summer is young, We've already made two moves, and UFA season is not yet quite upon us for real.

I think that so far, the team has made some really smart moves. The draft was IMO masterful, including buying Toronto's first rounder for next year. The trade for Huala, was very clever. His numbers from two years ago were strong SECOND line center. We can call him our third line center, but if he is good on his knee, he is really a 2C.

I am still trying to process the DeHaan trade. Forsberg cleared waivers early last year, and articles I read talked about the team possibly not signing his RFA. Maybe we see something in him. Forsling supposedly was thought to have high end offensive potential, and if he might have upside quarterbacking a PP, that might make some sense. I guess this one demands trusting our pro scouts are seeing something in these guys. If it is a pure salary dump for a guy who may not play until Nov-Dec, then we have to see more fully what we do with all that space. Maybe that's what's driving the odds-makers to think we have a shot at being the biggest spender in UFA. We shall see.

• Like 1

I too rem am scratching my head over the DeHaan thing, and although he was not my favorite player, I guess my biggest regret, and I know this will be viewed by many as overly sentimental, but I've always hoped that team ethics, as in players feeling as if they are being treated with respect, are huge in a smaller market organization. Certainly hockey is a business, and that's always going to be the bottom line, and I get that the players come to understand that, but, without having the huge "fat stacks" as some on here put it, or perhaps the bright lights and limitless distractions, or the glorified history, the one niche that our group should capitalize on is loyalty. That is a two way street, not only player for his teammates and the organization, but also the team for each individual. Now I'm possibly wrong in this, but I thought that Calvin actively sought us out and if so, unless he'd expressed some discontent, I regret that we terminated him after just a single year. Then too, I just don't know about that return. 

• Like 1