The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

ope.  Lateral move to HC another AHL team.  One in the sphere of JR. 

Is it? Or is he positioned to take over if/when Sullivan fails?

1 minute ago, KJUNKANE said:

Is it? Or is he positioned to take over if/when Sullivan fails?

Sullivan is degree one of JRs sphere.  V is now degree 2. 

So, I'm agreeing with ya, just talking obtusely.

Don't get me wrong wxray, I don't like one bit that Vallucci jumped ship so to speak, as he really demonstrated his abilities I believe with the Checkers. What I'm disagreeing with is the assertion that the move has financial overtones, and while that MAY be the very reason he left us, but to jump to the conclusion (not saying you did but several are fixated on that) that we are run by a cheapskate is really tiring?

Oh and on another front, one UFA goalie is apparently off the market. Cam Talbot signed a 1 year deal with Calgary it appears.

Edited by KJUNKANE

Unbelievable, Dallas is apparently placing Valeri Nichushkin on waivers,  1st round pick in 2013. I guess that Ryan Murphy is not the only total bust 1st rounder. Of course I believe Nichushkin needed hip surgery just recently and have a hard time seeing how recovery from that is possible for an NHLer, at least to get back to the level of play being expected of him?

Color me confused. According to a poster on Country Canes, he states that after Aho signs @ 9mil or so, that leaves only about $12mil for 7 players (15 under contract)? Surely that is incorrect as we've never approached the Cap except maybe the year of HWSNBN?

And apparently McIlhenny will be playing elsewhere aka Waddell?

Edited by KJUNKANE

1 minute ago, KJUNKANE said:

Color me confused. According to a poster on Country Canes, he states that after Aho signs @ 9mil or so, that leaves only about $12mil for 7 players (15 under contract)? Surely that is incorrect as we've never approached the Cap except maybe the year of HWSNBN?

I hope thats wrong.  It doesn't make sense that Pitts has Malkin, Crosby, Kessel and is not over the cap, and Tornoto has Tavares plus 4 other stars and is not over and just about every top 6 team has 3-4 stars signed to multi million deals.   But we sign Aho and TT and their is barely anything left?  We don't even have a goalie signed.  There must be much more money than that left over.  

37 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Oh and on another front, one UFA goalie is apparently off the market. Cam Talbot signed a 1 year deal with Calgary it appears.

He can’t sign until July 1st. I’m not a fan of Talbot so I hope he does sign elsewhere.

I’ve heard recently that Lehner going back to the Isles is not really guaranteed anymore. I don’t think negotiations are going well. It was said that Lehner is looking for at least 5 million per year, and the Isles are saying no.

Also it was said that the Isles are waiting to see where they stand with Panarin and Bobrovsky before signing Lee and Lehner. Obviously this isn’t going to sit well with either player.

I also read that we are supposed to meet with Bobrovsky, not sure if there is any truth to that.

Having said all of that I think Petr comes back.

When  I heard Lehner might not be going back I first thought, negotiating tactic, then thought hmmm maybe...then I thought, negotiating tactic. There is rumor that the Isles might try to get Bob. I'd take Lehner in a hearbeat. TBH with his history a place like Raleigh, and this group could be a pretty good situation for him. 

38 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Aho, TT, Staal, Svech, Marty, Nino, Foegele, Wallmark, Haula

Slavin, Pesce, Faulk, TVR, Hamilton

Ned

with 12 million we have 2 goalies

McGinn re-signing, Necas, Williams or a Checker, Fleury re-signed, and potentially a 13th forward

get an extra 2 million if we buy out Darling

Edited by gocanes0506

44 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

After we buy out Darling we'll have $9.81 tied up between him, Semin, and Marleau (drops to $4.33m in '20-'21).  That's 12% of our total cap space right there.  CapFriendly has us at $22m in space, subtract $9m for Aho, and yep, that leaves $13m for 7 roster spots, including goalies.  Puts the de Haan trade in a much clearer perspective.  Waddell The Committee still has quite a bit of work to do this summer.  

"Candidates" for some of those 7 spots:  Fleury,  McGinn, J. Willy, 2 goalies, Ferland (bye bye, even if both parties want to make it worth), Forsling, McKegg, Bishop, Maenalanen, McKeown, Poturalski (is it a mistake to completely write him off, as I'm wont to do?).  Fortunately quite a few of those should be solid but inexpensive signees.   Unfortunately, I don't see a big $ top 6 UFA forward in the cards unless we deal another of our big name D men.

Edited by LakeLivin

36 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

I hope thats wrong.  It doesn't make sense that Pitts has Malkin, Crosby, Kessel and is not over the cap, and Tornoto has Tavares plus 4 other stars and is not over and just about every top 6 team has 3-4 stars signed to multi million deals.   But we sign Aho and TT and their is barely anything left?  We don't even have a goalie signed.  There must be much more money than that left over.  

According to CapFriendly, our current cap space is $21.9 million. We still need to sign Aho (say 8.5M), at least one more goalie (assuming Ned as backup) (say 4.5M), and possibly JW (say 4M). By my count, that would give us 18 roster players (can have up to 23), including AHWSNBN who might be bought out. That still leaves about 5M (without AHWSNBN's buyout) to sign any or none of the following UFA/RFAs: Fleury, McGinn, Bishop, McKegg, Ferland, and Forsling OR to sign another non-previously-affiliated UFA.

More cap space can be added by AHWSNBN's buyout (but not the entire 4.5M we're paying now) or a trade. Understand that $8.5M of cap space this year is tied up with Marleau (6.5M) and HWSNBN's (2.8M) buyouts. Next year, Marleau's BO drops off, but we may add AHWSNBN's BO.

Being no CapFriendly expert, I may be reading this wrong.   

Agree with Lake that this puts the de Haan trade in a whole new light.  

Edited by spyglass88

Reading the Wilkes-Barre article on Vellucci, I didn’t realize that Vellucci’s history was 14 years coaching PK’s OHL team before coming to the Canes as assistant general manager, then adding his duties in Charlotte. Rod being the exception, starting with Francis, it looks like guys with ties to Karmanos are leaving the organization. I guess that may be natural with a new owner coming in. Vellucci may just prefer to move back to JR’s sphere of influence. And as someone pointed out, he may be next up in Pittsburgh if they get off to another slow start. With all the prospects we have in Charlotte, I hate to lose him though. We do need to make a strong hire to replace him in Charlotte. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

After we buy out Darling we'll have $9.81 tied up between him, Semin, and Marleau (drops to $4.33m in '20-'21).  That's 12% of our total cap space right there.  CapFriendly has us at $22m in space, subtract $9m for Aho, and yep, that leaves $13m for 7 roster spots, including goalies.  Puts the de Haan trade in a much clearer perspective.  Waddell still has quite a bit of work to do this summer.  

"Candidates" for some of those 7 spots:  Fleury,  McGinn, J. Willy, 2 goalies, Ferland (bye bye, even if both parties want to make it worth), Forsling, McKegg, Bishop, Maenalanen, McKeown.  Fortunately quite a few of those should be solid but inexpensive signees.   Unfortunately, I don't see a big $ top 6 UFA forward in the cards unless we deal another of our big name D men.

So there is absolutely no chance of us acquiring a big name in FA?  Like someone that we offer 7-8mil a year too?   I just don't get how all the other teams make it work and constantly go after big names when they already have big names signed and make huge offers year after year. 

So we will be maxed out at the cap after we sign Aho, Goalie, and a few 1.5mil guys?  Dang, I guess  Erik Haula is our big acquisition for next year.  I just don't get how our Cap is so tight but the only guy on the team who can score 30 goals is Aho.   

4 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

So there is absolutely no chance of us acquiring a big name in FA?  Like someone that we offer 7-8mil a year too?   I just don't get how all the other teams make it work and constantly go after big names when they already have big names signed and make huge offers year after year. 

So we will be maxed out at the cap after we sign Aho, Goalie, and a few 1.5mil guys?  Dang, I guess  Erik Haula is our big acquisition for next year.  I just don't get how our Cap is so tight but the only guy on the team who can score 30 goals is Aho.   

We've got 12% of our cap space (almost $10m) eaten up by buyouts.  That's your big name, big $ FA right there. 

Oh, and the situation also clarifies why they're negotiating with Aho instead of just paying him what he's asking.

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

We've got 12% of our cap space (almost $10m) eaten up by buyouts.  That's your big name, big $ FA right there. 

Oh, and the situation also clarifies why they're negotiating with Aho instead of just paying him what he's asking.

So why in the world did we take Marleaus Contract and buy it out?  I know at first we thought it was the set up for a big move, but at this point it looks like we just paid millions for a pick and cap strapped ourselves for it??? 

8 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

So why in the world did we take Marleaus Contract and buy it out?  I know at first we thought it was the set up for a big move, but at this point it looks like we just paid millions for a pick and cap strapped ourselves for it??? 

The actual money owed to Marleau is just a little over half of his cap hit. Let’s hope Toronto misses the playoffs by one spot, or flames out in the first round. With the talent they have, that $6+ million dollar cap hit could land us a pick at the bottom of the first round. I also hope by Monday we hear that the goalie situation is resolved and will be at least as strong as last year. Looks like Ned will be the backup. Maybe Lehner/Mrazek/Varlamov the starter?

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

After we buy out Darling we'll have $9.81 tied up between him, Semin, and Marleau (drops to $4.33m in '20-'21).  That's 12% of our total cap space right there.  CapFriendly has us at $22m in space, subtract $9m for Aho, and yep, that leaves $13m for 7 roster spots, including goalies.  Puts the de Haan trade in a much clearer perspective.  Waddell The Committee still has quite a bit of work to do this summer.  

"Candidates" for some of those 7 spots:  Fleury,  McGinn, J. Willy, 2 goalies, Ferland (bye bye, even if both parties want to make it worth), Forsling, McKegg, Bishop, Maenalanen, McKeown, Poturalski (is it a mistake to completely write him off, as I'm wont to do?).  Fortunately quite a few of those should be solid but inexpensive signees.   Unfortunately, I don't see a big $ top 6 UFA forward in the cards unless we deal another of our big name D men.

The "candidates" for the 7 spots are all players we'd need to re-sign.  Also in the mix are players still on ELCs like Necas, Bean, Kuokkanen, Geekie, Gauthier (with absolutely nothing firm to go on, I still like him in Charlotte to at least start next season).   

EDIT:  Omg, I forgot to list Necas among the candidates for a roster spot! :Oops:

Edited by LakeLivin

11 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

I think its a long term answer.

A. Im not sure how competitive we are for big UFAs to start with.

B. The 1st adds to the top end talent to of the farm. The draft is supposedly deep with as many as 6 organization changing players and down to 20 is of the same caliber as 8-12 in the past draft.  With 2 picks we could potentially move up like Rem wants.

C. We are looking to maintain a deep farm to keep the roster back loaded with talent.

40 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

Let's compare with TOR, which has at this point 6.9M of cap space. TOR 18 current roster players: 2 @ 11M+, 1 @ 6.9M, 2 @ 5M, 3 @ 4M+, 2 @ 3M+ and 2 @ 2M+. The remaining 6 are under 1M. They also have 1.2M in retained salary (Kessel). This is without signing Marner (RFA), Ennis (UFA), and Gardiner (UFA). 

CAR has 21.9M cap space with 15 current roster players: 1 @ 6M, 4 @ 5M+, 3 @ 4M+ (including AHWSNBN), 3 @ 2M+, and the remaining 5 under 1M—PLUS 8.5M of buyout hit. This is without signing Aho (RFA), a goaltender, and JW (UFA).

One big point of comparison is defense: If TOR does not sign Gardiner and goes with a below 1M guy as #6, it will have only 3 Ds making 4M+. The other 3 will be under 1M. That tells you most of what you need to know about TOR's D. CAR has 2 Ds making 5M+, 2 making 4M+, and one at 2M+. (And before the de Haan trade, we had 5 out of 6 making 4M+, since he was making 4.5M.). If we sign Fleury, it likely will be 1M+. So ALL of our Ds will be making at least 1M. We have a lot of $$$ invested in defense and most think it's worth it.

We should be able to sign Aho in the range of 8-9M and a goalie in the range of 4-5M and still find some relatively easy way to move one or two contracts and pay a top-6 forward 6-7M. By contrast, TOR will not be able to sign Marner at $$$ comparable to Tavares or Matthews unless it dumps some big contracts, and it's mediocre D is only going to get worse.

The big difference for us seems to be the $$$ we've invested in Ds and the BO hits for Marleau, HWSNBN, and possibly for AHWSNBN. We're probably overbalanced towards D, so in the end we likely will need to trade another D to make room for a top-6 winger.      

Edited by spyglass88
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think its a long term answer.

A. Im not sure how competitive we are for big UFAs to start with.

B. The 1st adds to the top end talent to of the farm. The draft is supposedly deep with as many as 6 organization changing players and down to 20 is of the same caliber as 8-12 in the past draft.  With 2 picks we could potentially move up like Rem wants.

C. We are looking to maintain a deep farm to keep the roster back loaded with talent.

I guess HCRB's gonna have to get used to a few years of that "mushy middle" that he so claims to detest....

8 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

I guess HCRB's gonna have to get used to a few years of that "mushy middle" that he so claims to detest....

Nothing suggests we’ll be mussy middle next season 

15 hours ago, cane-addict-1 said:

So far all the moves made arent horrible. But based on what we were expecting I feel underwhelmed. The Canes need to make a splash like last year or we are in trouble. Everyone admits we got the max out of our group. How often does that happen year in and year out? We need to upgrade. Not move laterally. 

I am not sure what constitutes a splash, but if we sign on JW for 1 more season, extend Aho for about 7, and get Mrazek back for 2-3 years, that will be good news IMO.  Those moves along with acquiring Huala and seeing Necas, Geekie, and others compete for a spot or two would spell splash for me.

• Like 2

We probably will not do it now, but a Pesce or Faulk signed, plus for Ehlers would probably still fit with salary going both ways. With DeHaan traded though, I cannot see Pesce anymore, and don't think Faulk brings Ehlers back, so I guess we're out on that one. So.....

IMO, we take our remaining cap and go for a goalie. Personally I'm hoping against the odds for Lehner, who people speculate $5 million/5 years maybe, or if not, maybe roll the dice on Mrazek again.

I think more and more that Haula was the forward move unless J Williams retires, in which case, we really need to make another. The D is obviously over set. So it really comes down to goalie.

But I think assuming Haula is what he was pre injury, that is enough. IF we get league average or better goaltending. But if we don't it probably doesn't matter anyways.

• Like 2