The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

On 6/29/2019 at 8:32 AM, Bonivan said:

Maybe he decided that Pitt has higher chances of firing their NHL HC than Canes firing Rod

Vellucci's path to the top will be quicker now. I've seen reports that JR is not exactly thrilled with Sullivan.

7 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Vellucci's path to the top will be quicker now. I've seen reports that JR is not exactly thrilled with Sullivan.

JR is not thrilled with anyone except the ones he signed to albatross contracts with NMC’s!

On 6/29/2019 at 12:46 PM, LakeLivin said:

After we buy out Darling we'll have $9.81 tied up between him, Semin, and Marleau (drops to $4.33m in '20-'21).  That's 12% of our total cap space right there.  CapFriendly has us at $22m in space, subtract $9m for Aho, and yep, that leaves $13m for 7 roster spots, including goalies.  Puts the de Haan trade in a much clearer perspective.  Waddell The Committee still has quite a bit of work to do this summer.  

"Candidates" for some of those 7 spots:  Fleury,  McGinn, J. Willy, 2 goalies, Ferland (bye bye, even if both parties want to make it worth), Forsling, McKegg, Bishop, Maenalanen, McKeown, Poturalski (is it a mistake to completely write him off, as I'm wont to do?).  Fortunately quite a few of those should be solid but inexpensive signees.   Unfortunately, I don't see a big $ top 6 UFA forward in the cards unless we deal another of our big name D men.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:26 PM, LakeLivin said:

The "candidates" for the 7 spots are all players we'd need to re-sign.  Also in the mix are players still on ELCs like Necas, Bean, Kuokkanen, Geekie, Gauthier (with absolutely nothing firm to go on, I still like him in Charlotte to at least start next season).   

EDIT:  Omg, I forgot to list Necas among the candidates for a roster spot! :Oops:

Update: Reimer adds $2.2m in cap space over buying out Darling, but also takes up a roster spot.  CapFriendly currently has us with $22.7m cap available for 8 spots. 

Last I heard Waddell was still working hard on signing Mrazek and was relatively optimistic they could reach an agreement before FA starts.  Does Reimer change things and make the committee take a harder line with Mrazek (I hope not)?  If we do sign Mrazek do we flip Reimer, or go with him as a 1B/backup? I don't think we go into the season with a tandem of Reimer / Ned but I guess you never know.

Interesting note: CapFriendly has Necas listed on the current Canes roster.  I wonder if that's speculation on their part or if it's from a list that the Canes submit to the NHL? 

Just playing around: $22.7m,  8 roster spots

Aho:   $8.75m on a 6 year deal  (could be more for more years or less for a shorter term)

Mrazek:  $3.75m      

J Will:   $4.5m 

Leaves $5.7m for 5 spots (but they are basically 3rd pair and 4th line)

Noteworthy Checkers

Bean  $863k

Kuokkanen: $812k

Geekie: $763k

Gauthier: $863k

[Ned: $738k]

Canes noteworthy RFAs

McGinn

Maenalanen

Fleury

McKeown

Forsling

Unless Willy passes or the Canes move out a current roster player there isn't room for much of a UFA pickup at this point.  But even if things played out like my guesstimates above, still lots of tough / interesting decisions in front of the committee. :popcorn:  

Edited by LakeLivin

Isn’t Reimer the goalie that seemed to absolutely stone us every time the KittyKats trotted him out? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I don't know what we are doing here but I'm very curious how this all plays out. We accomplished getting rid of the Darling contract without a buyout or retention of salary. Now what do we do with Reimer?  Flip him, let him fight for the crease with Ned?  Waive him and hope someone else picks up his contract?

I guessing unless we sign Mrazek or someone else those questions are mute. :popcorn:

On 6/28/2019 at 12:23 PM, wxray1 said:

What was bizarre?  I tried to find details and that's all I hear.  No details like, ACL, MCL, etc.

The surgery was on the MCL and Meniscus.

• Like 2

It doesn't matter what we do with him, he has waaaaay more value to us than Darling. Decent numbers last year in 39 games, and career 2.81 and .913. Non-contact injury in late February, played one more game and got shelled, allowing 3 goals on nine shots before getting pulled in the first.

Looks like he's the new Mac. If we can't sign Petr or an FA, he could be the new Petr. Sign Petr or an FA and Ned likely gets another year in CLT--or, we flip Reimer, who is under contract for two more years at 3.4 million. Smart move.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Danimal38 said:

We are sure to sign a 3rd and 4th line guy who we are hoping have bounce back seasons. lol.  Hopefully its not the usual and we do something a little better.  

Well, it worked out last year. Martinook.

• Like 1

Some 'sky is falling' posts here but i'm with top - Reimer holds more value to us than Darling, if for no other reason than because we can probably get rid of by simply putting him on waivers.  This was a deal to get out from under Darling and after having to buy out Marleau, getting out from having to buy out Darling is invaluable.  Consider this an insurance policy while we continue working on Mrazek or looking for another goaltender.  And if the worst-case scenario is that we go into the season with Reimer/Nedeljkovic, i'll still take that over going into a season with Ward/Lack or Ward/Darling.

• Like 5

The thing I don’t understand is what was the benefit to Florida of trading Reimer for Darling and buying Darling out? Is Darling’s buyout less of a cap hit than Reimer’s salary, so free up cap space for Bob? 

34 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Here ya go..

Hey Bob, come on down.

This is the third team in a week we’ve helped out with cap space by doing a scratcher trade.  And frankly, I’m sick of it...they got themselves into this mess, we should not be the bailout!

7 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

This is the third team in a week we’ve helped out with cap space by doing a scratcher trade.  And frankly, I’m sick of it...they got themselves into this mess, we should not be the bailout!

What are you talking about? We saved money on this deal by getting a backup for an anchor. Florida does it because they could save money on buying out the worst goalie.

We got a 1st rounder

We got a 2C for a 4th round pick. That isn’t bailing anyone out. We got better in all those deals

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

You are wayyyy off the reservation.LOL

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Hot toddy time again AWACS.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

That's what the Panthers fans are saying about helping us out of our Darling mess.

36 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

That's what the Panthers fans are saying about helping us out of our Darling mess.

All three of their fans?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Alternate perspective:  I've heard several say that the Canes are weaponizing their available cap space.  

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

27 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

All three of their fans?

Ouch! :P

8 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

According to Lebrun Varly is going to Islanders so now we are after Mrazek/Lehner. 

This team knows Mrazek, and that's all I'll say about that.

4 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

.... Never happen, but what if we signed them both?!

Stranger things have happened.

Every year after the season ends there are serviceable goalies available. This year some are more than that. If he can finally hold an NHL crease with a guy like Reimer backing him up, Mraz could be one of them, and that'd be awesome.

But if Mraz leaves, the move keeps other possibilities open. We may have just created enough space to sign Aho, and pick up a pretty "quick" keeper who won a couple of Cups with our Captain. Though his cap charge is 5.8 million for each of the last four years of his deal, his salary ($7 million this year), drops dramatically the rest of the way, to 3.5, 3, and 2.5. Pure speculation of course, but what a great guy for Ned, Helvig, and Booth to study with.