The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

8 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

pick up a pretty "quick" keepe

Dare I dream? The more I think on it, Waddell has been pretty coy in some of his comments? Also wonder if Williams could play a role? Don't know if we could fit that salary in though top?

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

According to Lebrun Varly is going to Islanders so now we are after Mrazek/Lehner. 

Wow, didn’t expect to see this.

I know nothing about what is going on behind the scenes, but on the surface it sure seems like the Isles are treating Lehner like 💩. I could be way off base.

As someone who works in the mental health field, his story was pretty interesting/inspiring to me. 

Whatever the case, I wish Lehner the best in the future. 

“Mentally ill doesn’t mean mentally weak.”

-what Lehner said at the awards show.

Edited by Kyrule
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

I know nothing about what is going on behind the scenes, but on the surface it sure seems like the Isles are treating Lehner like 💩. I could be way off base.

As someone who works in the mental health field, his story was pretty interesting/inspiring to me. 

“Mentally I’ll doesn’t mean mentally weak”

My hats off to you on your profession, God knows this state is terribly underserved in that area? I hope the book on Lehner is correct as he surely didn't seem to show much against us in our playoff series?

What, a little over 12 hours to chaos time which always seems to end up for us as barely a fizzle, as well it should retrospectively? Saw a humorous quote on another site that some GM commented that "he was working hard to off load some bad contracts so he could pick up some more"? That about sums up the frenzy, buckle up one and all.

Thanks Kjun, much appreciated.

It’s a thankless profession. Politicians and others that could make a difference don’t want to talk about something as unsavory as mental illness, so they sweep it under the rug. Most areas are under-served, a sad testament to our tendency to avoid/ignore things we don’t understand or find unpleasant. Those that are afflicted often don’t want to come forward out of fear/being stigmatized. That’s why I’ll always be pulling for Lehner going forward.

Sorry to be off-topic folks.

Thanks again Kjun. 👍🏻

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Sorry to be off-topic folks.

Don't apologize Krule, as everyone in this state, Canes' fans or not, need to start demanding that our at times worthless system needs overhauling? As to Lehner, I will begin to gain new respect for him, as I always tried to pull for Darling's resurrection. 

• Like 2

I am very curious on what's going on behind the scenes.

I'm surprised none of the top available goalies (Bob, Petr, Lehner) were interested in going to Calgary.  

I too am surprised that Lehner, who's the 2nd best option in UFA, hasn't already been snatched up.  We already have Talbot to Calgary, Smith to Edmonton, Bob to Florida, and apparently Varlarmov to NYI.  Up until today, I hadn't heard any link of Lehner possibly to Carolina, which makes me think this may have been an option all along, since the media is generally lazy when it comes to reporting Carolina rumors/news (unless it paints us in a negative light).  Either way, the silence from Lehner's camp is very strange.

Wonder if GMDW is remembering the Boston series, and is contemplating Mrazek long term vs Lehner.

I guess tomorrow will answer all questions.

12 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Wonder if GMDW is remembering the Boston series, and is contemplating Mrazek long term vs Lehner.

If that were true PK17, then he also should recall the series just before Boston?? And as far as answering "all the questions", one should hope so, but I doubt it?

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

If that were true PK17, then he also should recall the series just before Boston?? And as far as answering "all the questions", one should hope so, but I doubt it?

You're referring to Mrazek's series vs the Isles?  Because Mrazek only played 1 and a half games that series due to injury, although he did play well in the time he played.

But between the two, Lehner's the better options, although we all kinda fell in love with Mrazek.

47 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

You're referring to Mrazek's series vs the Isles?  Because Mrazek only played 1 and a half games that series due to injury, although he did play well in the time he played.

But between the two, Lehner's the better options, although we all kinda fell in love with Mrazek.

No actually my reference was to Lehner, who didn't seem to have such a good series vs us? But I agree that we sort of fell in love with Mrazek? Hard not to with his zeal toward the end, and that seemed to fire up several. Debatable whether it wins games though?

I am very impressed with the GM Borg making this Reimer trade.  They took a sunk cost and turned it into something of value.  Reimer had a down year last year, but has been serviceable over his career.  Canes get some insurance at the position and save a few dollars over Darling's contract.  This is a straight up business decision.  

Resistance is futile.  You will be assimilated

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Kyrule said:

“Mentally ill doesn’t mean mentally weak.”

We loved that too. Mrs. Shelf is in MH too.

Robin's praise in the Athletic for Lou and the Isles does make his treatment surprising. That said, we don't know what he's asking for.

9 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Politicians and others that could make a difference don’t want to talk about something as unsavory as mental illness,

Let alone fund treatment. Meanwhile, we can blow up the world many times over. Absolutely shameful.

As soon as all the big names are signed, we’ll find out out which left out teams will overpay for Dzingel, Ferland, Simmonds, and Nyquist.  Columbus, Colorado, and Buffalo are my guesses.

Edited by gocanes0506

6 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

No actually my reference was to Lehner, who didn't seem to have such a good series vs us? But I agree that we sort of fell in love with Mrazek? Hard not to with his zeal toward the end, and that seemed to fire up several. Debatable whether it wins games though?

Lehner wasn’t terrible against us that series. His biggest problem was his team couldn’t score.

He only gave up 1 goal in Game 1. 2 goals in game 2, 3 goals in Games 3 and 4. He gave up a couple stinkers, especially in game 4, but they were already done by that point.

Mrazek is good, but I feel that Lehner can play lights out, and flat out steal wins for us.

• Like 2

I had this thought yesterday when I looked in and saw we got Riemer, but waited to post it. I don't know if this is the plan, but if it is, it's brilliant and I will do a happy dance: adding Reimer and adding Forsberg to go with Ned gives us incredible goalie depth to go after....Lehner. And what a move that would be. If he's on his game, he's as good or better than Bob. Last year we had league average scoring and league average goaltending. Both relatively rare for this organization. But Lehner, if his demons are controlled. is much better than that. It's hard to imagine what it would be like to have a top 5 goalie in Carolina because it's only happened once in recent memory. 

I am not in the mental health profession, but I'm pretty close to it. Bipolar is not a minor thing. It can be a devastating thing. There is legitimate risk in taking Lehner. I think it's more than worth the risk since he is so freaking good. But having 3 potential NHL goalies backing him up is perfect. Heck, even if we move Reimer we'd have two. 

I don't know if this is the move, but it's the one that I want.

• Like 2

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Mrazek is good, but I feel that Lehner can play lights out, and flat out steal wins for us.

And I am on board with that, despite some of the way my posts have sounded. Don't get me wrong, I love Mrazek's feisty attitude and do think that could buoy up a team, and further would not regret resigning him, but I just am concerned with his reputed past history good alternating with not so good years?

And on the rumor of the $5 mil was offered to Lehner, and turned down, possibly treatment of Lehner has been shabby, so a similar offer by us, particularly if Early is going to NYI as above rumor, may be accepted with joy? Let me add that rem's thoughts make huge sense. Lehner, come on down!!!

16 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

And I am on board with that, despite some of the way my posts have sounded. Don't get me wrong, I love Mrazek's feisty attitude and do think that could buoy up a team, and further would not regret resigning him, but I just am concerned with his reputed past history good alternating with not so good years?

And on the rumor of the $5 mil was offered to Lehner, and turned down, possibly treatment of Lehner has been shabby, so a similar offer by us, particularly if Early is going to NYI as above rumor, may be accepted with joy? Let me add that rem's thoughts make huge sense. Lehner, come on down!!!

I'm guessing that he was miffed about the term at  2 years. Maybe the money too, but he has to be miffed about being offered 2 years. He's worth a shot at more term, he's that good. 

Well, at least we re-upped John and Tripp!

This Aho thing really has me irked...they’re jerking him around and making him bitter over what amounts to two million and a few years?!?!  He’s gonna be the face of the franchise for the foreseeable future and this is how you treat him?

8 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

This Aho thing really has me irked...they’re jerking him around and making him bitter over what amounts to two million and a few years?!?! 

You don't know that, quit overreacting to everything you read out of Canada, lol.  Just last week the same dude said we offered 6-mil. 

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

If that's actually the case let's see if we can "get 'er done" before noon at 6 x $8.5 or 7 x $9.

Edited by LakeLivin