The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Tough to tell what money we will have left with outstanding issues. JW, McGinn... There is one forward on the Sharks I'd love to make a play for. The sharks may not be able to sign him with their own cap considerations. Kevin Leblanc is a RW/right shot, fast and has a great shot. He is far from reaching his full potential and I think it would be a great match for us.

I was not familiar with him, so I looked up his stats.  First of all, his name is Lebanc, not Leblanc.  He has played in 214 NHL games, scoring 36 goals.  That number is trending in the right direction though.  That said, he has only 116 hits in 214 games, roughly 1 every 2 games.  Not exactly a model of the type of physical play that we need.

Just to put that into context, Brock McGinn has played in 240 NHL games, and scored the same 36 goals.  Difference is that McGinn has 393 hits over those 240 games compared to Lebanc's 116.  I would favor McGinn over Lebanc.

Edited by beboplar

5 hours ago, beboplar said:

I was not familiar with him, so I looked up his stats.  First of all, his name is Lebanc, not Leblanc.  He has played in 214 NHL games, scoring 36 goals.  That number is trending in the right direction though.  That said, he has only 116 hits in 214 games, roughly 1 every 2 games.  Not exactly a model of the type of physical play that we need.

Just to put that into context, Brock McGinn has played in 240 NHL games, and scored the same 36 goals.  Difference is that McGinn has 393 hits over those 240 games compared to Lebanc's 116.  I would favor McGinn over Lebanc.

Yeah I fat fingered my phone on Lebanc last name. I didn't say anything about A replacement for McGinn but rather a net add. Lebanc had 56 pts last year and may be someone we could add on a limited available cap. I thi k the kid has potential.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Yeah I fat fingered my phone on Lebanc last name. I didn't say anything about A replacement for McGinn but rather a net add. Lebanc had 56 pts last year and may be someone we could add on a limited available cap. I thi k the kid has potential.

If JW resigns, then we have limited space, maybe 1 roster spot, for a Checker to graduate to the Canes.  Correct me if I am wrong, but we already have Nino, Aho, Turbo, Staal, Svech, McGinn, Foegle, Wallmark, Martinook, Haula, and Saku for the forward group.  JW would make 12, and one of the Canes, from Necas, Geekie, and Gauthier probably, would make the 13th.  A depth addition would be more like the Gibbons signing they made today, who can hopefully play and up and down role to fill in upon injuries, assuming he passes through waivers.  I will be surprised if they sign someone such as Lebanc.

And his beard potential is off the charts from his bloodline...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScVtXLvmTDBKPrlH2gubp

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Brian Gibbons?

A depth signing I have seen compared to the McKegg signing last season

Gibbons, 31, recorded 19 points (8g, 11a) in 64 games with Anaheim and Ottawa last season, including 14 points (6g, 8a) in 20 games after being traded from the Ducks to the Senators on Feb. 25. The 5'8", 175-pound forward has registered 67 points (25g, 42a) in 189 career NHL games with Pittsburgh, Columbus, New Jersey, Anaheim and Ottawa

11 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

The nhl is going smaller and faster

Yeah, I could see that in the Bruins vs Blues series? While we keep hearing that, I think that's the fantasy of smaller teams?

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Short_Handed said:

Good day all. When a player elects for Salary arbitration, how does that work?  Sorry if this has already been explained. I didn't see it. 

Arbitration is a process where a player asks for a certain amount and then the team gives their recommended salary. Each party makes their case to an arbitrator and the arbitrator makes a decision.  The arbitrator makes a decision within 48 hours. The team can sign the player to the salary decided or allow the player to be a free agent.

The positive is a team knows it will get the player under contract. Both parties are allowed to negotiate a contract up until the arbitration hearing.  The negative is the idea of having to battle over salary in front of a 3rd party.

there are a ton of nuisances to this if your interested. 

http://www.beyondplaybook.com/salary-arbitration-in-the-nhl/

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

Speaking of free agency, can you believe the NBA's version?  It's like getting a date for the prom.  Big guys on campus ask out dates to join them, like Kawhi asking Paul George, Lebron asking Anthony Davis, Kyrie asking Kevin Durant.  The players rule the roost.  The GM's see like they are there just to complete the paperwork.

At least it feels as if any team has a shot at winning in the NHL.  Parity at its best.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Speaking of free agency, can you believe the NBA's version?  It's like getting a date for the prom.  Big guys on campus ask out dates to join them, like Kawhi asking Paul George, Lebron asking Anthony Davis, Kyrie asking Kevin Durant.  The players rule the roost.  The GM's see like they are there just to complete the paperwork.

At least it feels as if any team has a shot at winning in the NHL.  Parity at its best.

Yah...and the prima donnas get to have a say on who goes with em...see what just happened to my Thunder (well, not exactly mine...as I HATE basketball).  

I actually hope the cap in the NHL stays at $82-86M for the next 3-4 years and we stop with the runaway contracts.  All that’s gonna do is price the game tickets out from a lot of fans’ budgets!

2 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

All that’s gonna do is price the game tickets out from a lot of fans’ budgets!

Well, and pay the players more in line with what they should be paid.

I'd love to see Durant or LeBron do what they do on skates.

On 7/5/2019 at 7:55 AM, OBXer said:

A depth signing I have seen compared to the McKegg signing last season

Gibbons, 31, recorded 19 points (8g, 11a) in 64 games with Anaheim and Ottawa last season, including 14 points (6g, 8a) in 20 games after being traded from the Ducks to the Senators on Feb. 25. The 5'8", 175-pound forward has registered 67 points (25g, 42a) in 189 career NHL games with Pittsburgh, Columbus, New Jersey, Anaheim and Ottawa

I wish we could have re-signed McKegg in a depth role. But he got a 1-way deal with the Rangers and I'm sure that wasn't an option the Canes felt like they could give him.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I wish we could have re-signed McKegg in a depth role. But he got a 1-way deal with the Rangers and I'm sure that wasn't an option the Canes felt like they could give him.

Yup, don't want to go down Recycling Players Road to anywhere the extent that JR did, but he'd be a guy I'd take back. Since he's 27, there's enough of a window that maybe he'd finish up here, if it made sense--i.e., if the next next wave (the wave after Necas/Geekie) is a little lacking bottom-six wise.

Edited by top-shelf-1

25 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yup, don't want to go down Recycling Players Road to anywhere the extent that JR did, but he'd be a guy I'd take back. Since he's 27, there's enough of a window that maybe he'd finish up here, if it made sense--i.e., if the next next wave (the wave after Necas/Geekie) is a little lacking bottom-six wise.

You just reminded me of something I meant to mention during the playoffs.  Nordy is one I wish we still had in a "perma-depth" role (same as McGinn).  Skates, can hit a bit, and still one of the best pk forwards I recall seeing on the Canes.

Ah well,going forward I'm sure we'll be seeing a fair amount of young players we don't have room for here succeeding to some extent elsewhere.  I guess that's the one downside to having good depth in a prospect pool.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Johansson to Buffalo.

Two years, 4.5 AAV.

Probably a little high. He seems capable of higher scoring numbers.

• Like 1

The increasing talks of Offer Sheets is intriguing, but I'm of the mind that even though this franchise has been offended by one of these rarities, we simply somehow cannot afford to reciprocate? As a bottom dweller during the Cap era, our situation continues to amaze me that we cannot it seems ever make these big splashes, but I think somehow our present dilemma of being relatively up against the cap involves "buyouts" of which we have the max number (correct) as well as our inversion of the usual F/D ratio of salaries? At any rate, Justin Williams delay in making his status known certainly precludes a critical amount of money? Sure is boring now?

The on-line silly season as begun.   The GMs and players are actually off to their cabins and fishing, for the most part.  Meanwhile, the nerds on-line can't handle 6 solid weeks off so they start getting silly and conjuring up all kinds of madness.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

The on-line silly season as begun.   The GMs and players are actually off to their cabins and fishing, for the most part.  Meanwhile, the nerds on-line can't handle 6 solid weeks off so they start getting silly and conjuring up all kinds of madness.

Same amoumt of silliness IMO.  Just less real analysis to dilute the crazies talk.   In other news I'm going to attend ELO in the Cap Center this week. Will sport Canes gear just because.

• Like 1