The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

I don't think there was any realistic chance he was returning.  He was a good wake up call to bring attention to the physical type player this team needs.  I don't get to watch much of the team, but how would you compare Saku to Ferland?

It's difficult to compare since Saku saw 4th line minutes mostly. But Saku has not shown Ferland's goal scoring touch, and was not as consistent and hard of a hitter. It's hard to compare hits stats because they are hits/game, and should be hit/ice time, but Ferland led the team in hits at 2.6 hits/game to Saku's 1.3. But given ice time, it might not be that different. The thing is that ice time matters. Part of Ferland's effect is that he scores enough to be out there hitting more of the time. 

Just in terms of wanting the physical, we have made a couple of moves away from that. 

Our two top hitters last year were: Michael Ferland, Calvin DeHaan. 

Haula is not a big hitter, would have ranked around #11 on our team last year. He's not a big guy too. Necas, who I've penciled in, is also not a big hitter. 

Fleury actually hit 1.3 hits/game with limited ice time, so he is one guy who could add physical. 

4 years is a lot of commitment for a guy whose game is based around bashing/fighting with that gumbo shoulder over and over again. Or he was never that hurt to begin with and was being a stronger term for wimp.

16 minutes ago, remkin said:

Just in terms of wanting the physical, we have made a couple of moves away from that. 

Haula is not a big hitter, would have ranked around #11 on our team last year. He's not a big guy too. Necas, who I've penciled in, is also not a big hitter. 

Fleury actually hit 1.3 hits/game with limited ice time, so he is one guy who could add physical. 

So rem, if I may summerize, unless we bring in some gritty player or Gautier can make the transition (and hit), our season of becoming more physical was short-lived?

16 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So rem, if I may summerize, unless we bring in some gritty player or Gautier can make the transition (and hit), our season of becoming more physical was short-lived?

Unless we replace the hits from Ferland and DeHaan, we will be less physical than we were last year. It is hard for me to see us doing that, but one never knows what the committee might be up to. Ferland and DeHaan had about as many hits per game as Slavin, Pesce, Aho, J. Williams, TVR, Teuravanen, and Walmark....combined. Slavin and Pese are very effective players, but they had .9 and .8 hits/game for combined 1.7 hits/game. DeHaan had 2.5 hits/game himself.

Gauthier is an interesting thought. I don't think the AHL tracks hits. Gauthier is massive, but I'm not sure how much he hit in Charlotte. I don't think he was a big hitter in Juniors.  But he's a guy who can score and it might be smart for him to up the physical and try to make the Canes sort of the way Foegele did, but with more pop. One way of looking at it is that if Gauthier hit more and hard, he could be a guy in the Ferland mold. Gauthier is never going to be a huge assist guy. He's a finisher/power forward. Add the power and he might find his niche.

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

4 years is a lot of commitment for a guy whose game is based around bashing/fighting with that gumbo shoulder over and over again. Or he was never that hurt to begin with and was being a stronger term for wimp.

When Brindy was asked about what was wrong with Ferland when he left a game in the first period, I think it was in January, it was obvious Brindy would have picked the latter.  I think that twisted Brindy off  so much based on his reaction that it was obvious that was the end of his time in Carolina.  Sorry, can't remember which game it was.

4 years is a gamble for Vancouver, but Ferland sure didn't get what he was originally reported as asking from us.

If the canes doesn't pick up a player with size, grit, plays the physical game and doesn't mind getting in the trenches this team will not make the playoffs this coming season.  Remember how physical Boston was with the canes and Boston and St.Louis were two of the biggest and physical team in the league.  I sure would like the canes make a trade  for DeBrusk from Boston. He is physical and pretty good scorer. Or maybe make Tripp happy and trade for Wilson. He says every GM wants a Tom Wilson on their team.

Edited by playruffcaniac

48 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Interesting -

Cory Lavalette @corylav

And before we get to the “Carolina should have signed him for this contract!” … the negotiations (if we want to call them that) from the original ask frayed the relationship. By the time the season was over, the two sides were done with each other.

That's the thing I got the feeling of. From the Brind'Amour reaction you mentioned, and other things. I suspect Ferland, from his end was probably not thrilled to be demoted to the third line post injury, especially in this contract year. I have to think if he'd have kept potting goals after his return, he'd have gotten paid a lot more. 

But the idea that even a value deal on Ferland here wasn't going to happen because both sides were "done with each other" seemed to be hanging in the air. And that was probably before the playoffs, which probably made it even worse when Ferland seemed to take forever to get back in the line up. 

Man, this really bums me out. I loved watching Ferland when he was healthy.

Having said that, I get why he ended up elsewhere. Just a shame it didn’t work out here because I was really excited when we traded for him. Like I said back then, it lessened the blow of losing Lindholm.

Oh well. Onward and upwards (hopefully).

If there was truly a frayed relationship during the season; I question why we didn't move him at the trade deadline. DW had to know that he would look elsewhere after July 1.

4 minutes ago, AssistantGM said:

If there was truly a frayed relationship during the season; I question why we didn't move him at the trade deadline. DW had to know that he would look elsewhere after July 1.

I think we thought he'd still be a good asset for our run. He may not re-sign, but he'd still be effective on the ice playing for a new contract.  Also, doubt the return was much on him as a rental at that point.

3 minutes ago, AssistantGM said:

Trading Ferland, during that playoff push? For probably a 3rd rounder given his injury and time left on his contract. The fanbase wouldn't have cared what the real story was and more El Cheapo topics would have come up. My question is why did we throw the heartless Ferland out there in the 3rd round if we knew he was done here.

45 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

My question is why did we throw the heartless Ferland out there in the 3rd round if we knew he was done here.

Motivation to win the Cup

8 hours ago, remkin said:

The Canes do have some hitters in the lineup such as Martinook, Nino, Svechnikov, McGinn, and Saku.  If they do not bring in another power forward, then Saku's position will probably become more regular.  If JW does return for another season, Saku's physicality may win the day over Necas's finesse play.  Gauthier's future on the team probably rests with his ability to raise his physical game.  Should be exciting at camp with about 3 or 4 forwards competing for the final spot or two.

8 hours ago, beboplar said:

The Canes do have some hitters in the lineup such as Martinook, Nino, Svechnikov, McGinn, and Saku

Martinook, McGinn and Saku certainly can play the physical game. What they don't bring, at least not yet that Ferland brought is an intimidation factor. Other teams knew they could no longer push the Canes around with out retribution. Early on Ferland brought set the tone, This isn't the "Candy Canes" anymore. He also showed he could add scoring so he was more than just an enforcer. As coastal pointed out by the end of the season his role had been diminished and his time as a Hurricane was over.

I think he (Ferland) helped change the culture but now it is up to players like Martinook, McGinn and Saku to keep the culture going.

• Like 4

The thing about Ferland, is that he was good enough to be one the ice, especially early with the top line. More ice time, more effect. That's the thing about the "gritty winger who can score". They are not just on the ice for 7-8 minutes of 4th line time.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Martinook, McGinn and Saku certainly can play the physical game. What they don't bring, at least not yet that Ferland brought is an intimidation factor. Other teams knew they could no longer push the Canes around with out retribution. Early on Ferland brought set the tone, This isn't the "Candy Canes" anymore. He also showed he could add scoring so he was more than just an enforcer. As coastal pointed out by the end of the season his role had been diminished and his time as a Hurricane was over.

I think he (Ferland) helped change the culture but now it is up to players like Martinook, McGinn and Saku to keep the culture going.

I agree.  To date, the primary switch amongst the forward group is Haula for Ferland.  Honestly, I have never seen Haula play.  If he scores 25+ goals and plays a 2 way game, and stays on the ice, I would not complain about that.  If Saku can pick up some of the physical play missing from Ferland's departure, that'll help.  I still wonder whether a great camp from Gauthier puts him in the picture ahead of Necas, just for this reason.

Mabye I shouldn't have, but I questioned Ferland's toughness and dedication. Martinook and CDH played with injuries that required surgery after the season, but Ferland sat out most of the playoffs. I thought he pretty much disappeared after Christmas. He had a couple big hits, but I think he took himself out of games more often than he made an impact.

53 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I still wonder whether a great camp from Gauthier puts him in the picture ahead of Necas, just for this reason.

One thing is for sure, anything can happen at camp. Guys get better over the summer, get hot in pre season. Look at Foegele. If I were Gauthier I'd hit everything that moved in camp and preseason. I still have Necas a solid step ahead of Gauthier though.

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

I agree.  To date, the primary switch amongst the forward group is Haula for Ferland.  Honestly, I have never seen Haula play.  If he scores 25+ goals and plays a 2 way game, and stays on the ice, I would not complain about that.  If Saku can pick up some of the physical play missing from Ferland's departure, that'll help.  I still wonder whether a great camp from Gauthier puts him in the picture ahead of Necas, just for this reason.

I don't remember much hitting from Gauthier last season.  If he's going to be ahead of Necas due to physicality, he needs to suddenly add some physicality to his game.

So now looking back at last years trade  .  Lindholm  + Hanifin  for  Hamilton  + Ferland + Fox   [  Now became  Hamilton  ( who is on the trading blocks )  and via trade of fox  for possibly 2nd round this year  which turned out to be   Dominick Fensore  (  AND FENSORE IS BETTER THAN FOX  AND LOVE THE WAY FENSORE   PLAYS   ! )    turned out to be not a bad trade in the end .  More of a win win  for the canes .   Now lets see what we do with  Faulk / Hamilton . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

So now looking back at last years trade  .  Lindholm  + Hanifin  for  Hamilton  + Ferland + Fox   [  Now became  Hamilton  ( who is on the trading blocks )  and via trade of fox  for possibly 2nd round this year  which turned out to be   Dominick Fensore  (  AND FENSORE IS BETTER THAN FOX  AND LOVE THE WAY FENSORE   PLAYS   ! )    turned out to be not a bad trade in the end .  More of a win win  for the canes .   Now lets see what we do with  Faulk / Hamilton . 

Yeah....no.

We clearly lost this trade.

I say the Canes, now with Ferland gone, should look for a guy who’s going to give us a little bit of a boost. Not necessarily primarily in scoring, but just with speed and grit. There are a couple players (right-handed, which we need) still available that, I think, would be a good fit: Stefan Noesen from the Devils, Jayce Hawryluk/Denis Malgin from the Panthers, and Pontus Aberg from the Wild. I originally said Leivo from the Canucks, Armia from the Canadiens, Sissons from the Predators, and Sundqvist from the Blues, but we don’t need another center (Sissons and Sundqvist), and Leivo and Armia got extensions with their teams. So, Noesen, Aberg, and Hawryluk/Malgin would be the best bets