The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

I just went with how Haula was listed on the roster.  Either guy could play center.  That's what I like.  We are going to wear people out with that lineup...

Yes....yes....yes.    The roster in starting to look very good.   The coach has got to be chomping at the bit to get going.   This team is going to be exciting to watch this year and with just a bit of tweak here and there...look out.   I hope Williams comes back.   His leadership was off the charts and having met him a few years back I can tell you that he is a really nice guy.  A very humble person.  Competition for a roster spot this year is going to be awesome.  I agree with whomever wrote that Necas is not ready yet for a full time NHL spot.  Maybe another year or so.   I don't think these young kids need to be hurried into the NHL.   Go Canes !!

• Like 2

Chip Tweets

48 minutes ago

Dzingel says Canes should be good fit for his offensive style as a high-sped forward. "I think I'll fit right in."

Dzingel says he relies on his speed and his shot. "I'm a shooter."

Dzingel says he has been doubted his whole life. Mentioned he was 7th-rounder. "You have to earn it."

• Like 3

Michael Smith Tweets

52 minutes ago

Ryan Dzingel on signing with the : "I wanted to go somewhere where I believed in the team and the city."

Ryan Dzingel on the : "We have the group to do it. ... We're not coming to just make the playoffs. You want to win. Carolina and the city got a taste last year. We want to do more."

Ryan Dzingel, whose work ethic should fit right in: "I pride myself on working hard and doing what it takes in the summer to get me prepared for the regular season. I’m not a guy who is privileged enough or skilled enough to just come in and show up. I have to put the work in."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I think we might be. What moves are left? 

I think we'll still see one of TVR, McKeown, Fleury, or Forsling traded (longshot Faulk).

• Like 1

With Marleau's cap hit and this signing, cap space is getting a bit thin if JW comes back, considering the other RFA's that need to be signed.  I wondering if they try to trade Reimer and his $3.4M contract.

• Like 1

Extremely excited about the Dzingel announcement this morning...one thing for sure is that the “sit on your hands GM and cheapskate owner” narrative is officially over as of this offseason. Can’t wait for this upcoming season to start...

• Like 3

Put him out there on the PP with Turbo.  Maybe he can balance TTs hesitation to do the same, lol.

Edited by LakeLivin

18 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I think we'll still see one of TVR, McKeown, Fleury, or Forsling traded (longshot Faulk).

I guess we could thin the herd a bit, but really hard for me to see us adding a significant player up front or on D. 

I wonder if this makes McGinn available for a trade or even if we would walk away from an arbitration ruling if it doesn't go our way.

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

I guess we could thin the herd a bit, but really hard for me to see us adding a significant player up front or on D. 

I'm thinking if we make another move it will be to add a veteran Dman

• Like 1

With all the talk about needing a PP QB, I think Bean has the inside track. I think a couple might be moving out to make room.  We have too many that are not waiver exempt that we don't want to loose for nothing.

Necas will make the team. 

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

Agreed, I think moves the rest of the summer will be mostly "defensive", i.e., geared towards avoiding losing players to waivers.  I'm thinking that's a part of why we let McKegg go but will re-sign Maenalanen.   Ignoring waiver exemption,  I'd have preferred McKegg (both from a playing standpoint and because I can easily spell his name) to Maenalanen. 

2 hours ago, playruffcaniac said:

Might be a trade coming soon involving one or two of the younger players. Just a gut feeling. Wonder why it took so long for a team to sign Dzingel. I thought for sure he would be in Pittsburgh.

Cap space issues for many other teams.  PIT, for example, only has $1.6M left.

2 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

It's a shame half the fanbase gave up on this team when the sky fell on the first day of free agency.  They'd really like this move.

This is why I don't get excited on July 1.  The team has had a history of letting things play out and not get crazy on July 1.

JW really isn't joking when he said Aho and his agent did them a favor.  They got cap space certainty with that signing, allowing the next moves to take place.  Here it was.  Very nice.

I believe!

Listening to the RD presser he sounds THRILLED to be here and the PERFECT fit for us. Guys usually say all the right things but he seemed to mean it 100%. 

Also listened to Ferland presser. They asked him what he will remember about his time in Carolina and he 100% dodged the question (all he said was we were a young team that went to the conference final then started talking about Vancouver). Things definitely went sour with him and the org. 

Edited by cane-addict-1

4 hours ago, remkin said:

Absolutely. I am predicting Necas makes it. But it's a bet, not a bet the house. Wallmark has a huge inside track on Geekie though and I might put the house on that (OK, no I won't). Wallmark dominated at the AHL level for a prolonged period, and has been serviceable at the NHL level. Also, he does not have enough NHL games to call him a scoring bust yet as last year was really his rookie season with 11 games previously. Don't get me wrong, I love Geekie's upside, but IMO it would take an injury at center for him to get a shot out of camp. 

Canes will also need some to expose to the expansion draft which means those guys will need enough NHL games.  I think LW might be one of those guys.

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Dzingel scored 90% of his goals playing left wing, but scores his goals off rushes and right in front of the net.  Actually, he's always in front of the net and is amazing at redirecting shots and his really nice hands in close, much like Skinner.

Always in front of the net? Redirecting shots? I'm in for some of dat.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Yeah I read about Dzingle's speed. Is Haula fast, he must be quick at his size. 

Haula has speed as well,good fit.

Chip deserved an FU with his stupid 1 goals in 9 playoff games question. Brand new player you're gonna have to ask questions for 2 years and you ask that? Then his genious follow up question that Ryan had answered twice already relating to his 7th round drafting.

Someone just push him out of the room and lock the door.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 2

I think RD was a good signing.  Not much term, so if things don’t work out, it won’t hurt the Canes over the long haul.  Will now have many more options to work with in the forward line combinations.  

I dont know if the Canes can trade one of the veteran D anymore.  TVR is coming off surgery, so may need to wait and see how he is coming along.  

I can see the commitee move out one of the younger D prospects so they don’t risk losing them on waivers.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I wonder if this makes McGinn available for a trade or even if we would walk away from an arbitration ruling if it doesn't go our way.

I hope so .  maybe then we could get a right handed shooter for the canes  instead of another lefty !