The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

FWIW:

When we traded for Haula, DW said we envision him as our 3C and Wallmark as our 4C.

When we signed Dzingel, he said he talked to Brind’amour, and he said how he likes his wingers to be fast in transition and play uptempo.

Dzingel talked as though he is a winger so I don’t think we will see him at center unless things go sideways.

33 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

How does the tune go?

i had to go back to my original  statement to wonder where you are going with this  and  i'm confused by your statement .   Context can go a long ways .   

i'm Guessing   Staal would be slid down to 3rd c .    And Haula  takes 2nd line center .    We still need forwards on right wing to shoot right .  as we have all seen   how effective the power play is when you are lacking in that department .  

1 hour ago, Kyrule said:

Oh, and Bishop has been re-signed for one year on a two-way deal.

We need a couple players like Bishop.  He's not waiver exempt but I suspect we can move him up and down without too much fear of losing him. 

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

We need a couple players like Bishop.  He's not waiver exempt but I suspect we can move him up and down without too much fear of losing him. 

I questioned Brown being called up before Bishop in the playoffs; perhaps the committee saw the same thing i saw and that's why Bishop was the one they re-signed.  Lose the battle, win the war...

6 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Doubt it .   But i do wonder if with the singing of  Haula and Dzingle that would slide Staal to the 3rd line ? 

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

How does the tune go?

25 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

i had to go back to my original  statement to wonder where you are going with this  and  i'm confused by your statement .   Context can go a long ways .  

. . .

🎵  singing  🎵

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I questioned Brown being called up before Bishop in the playoffs; perhaps the committee saw the same thing i saw and that's why Bishop was the one they re-signed.  Lose the battle, win the war...

Vague recollection, but wasn't Bishop hurt at the time that they called Brown up?

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Vague recollection, but wasn't Bishop hurt at the time that they called Brown up?

Yes. Shoulder i think.

Early Eastern Conference standings to end next season

Atlantic

1 TB

2 BOS

3 Toronto

4 Florida

5 Montreal

6 Buffalo

7 Red Wings

8 Ottawa 

Metro

1 Washington

2 Carolina

3 Islanders

4 Rangers

5 Pittsburgh

6 Philly

7 NJ

8 Columbus

I think Florida and Montreal can flip. We can finish as high as 2nd and as low as 5th. I think 1st-6th is gonna be tight.  10 points might separate 1-6.  NJ will have 80 and Columbus will be 75-78.

Edited by gocanes0506

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

🎵  singing  🎵

Bingo, CFF, just wondering where the "singing" was and the tune associated with it? Just a jest.

Bishop & Forsling back on two way deals. Forsling requires clearing waivers

Fluery back on a one year one way deal worth 850k.

McGinn, Maenalenan, McKeown, Carrick & Forsberg are left.

We have 4.6 million in space left (what a crazy time) but, that includes carrying Bishop and Gibbons at a combined 1.425 million.

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

Fleury just re-upped on a one year

It's a one-year, one-way contract for the 2019-20 season worth $850,000.  I would think this is a make or break year for Fleury.

• Like 1

So how does Williams fit into this picture? If we re=sign him do we need to let some player(s) walk or trade them?

9 minutes ago, OBXer said:

It's a one-year, one-way contract for the 2019-20 season worth $850,000.  I would think this is a make or break year for Fleury.

Fleury is not waiver exempt, so they can't send him to Charlotte without losing his rights.  Bean is waiver exempt, I am not sure about Forsling, McKeown, and Carrick.  With 5 NHL defensemen on the roster plus Fleury, if a couple of these soon to be signed RFAs are made available they may be scooped up by another organization.  If that is the case, and being so close to the cap, I am not sure if they will try to move TVR.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Fleury is not waiver exempt, so they can't send him to Charlotte without losing his rights.  Bean is waiver exempt, I am not sure about Forsling, McKeown, and Carrick.  With 5 NHL defensemen on the roster plus Fleury, if a couple of these soon to be signed RFAs are made available they may be scooped up by another organization.  If that is the case, and being so close to the cap, I am not sure if they will try to move TVR.

Forsling, McKeown, and Carrick are all subject to waivers.   Same with Bishop and Wallmark up front.   Front office still has some work to do this summer.

29 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

We have 4.6 million in space left (what a crazy time) but, that includes carrying Bishop and Gibbons at a combined 1.425 million.

Okay gocanes, like OBXer was asking I guess, does this include JWilly's present salary or not? And if it doesn't, and we anticipate that he will require what, $4mil to sign, would that then exceed the Cap? Course, in the short term, I believe I'm correct to say that we can operate over cap until the season start, correct? And if that's correct than there's still space to maneuver, right? In other words, a trade could then put us back into compliance?

One additional question, how many contracts are we carrying now and are we close there?

Edited by KJUNKANE

33 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I think this clearly lays out that the team is not thrilled with Fleury. I thought this would be a masterful time to lock him up cheap for a few years. I wonder if our cap pinch was part of not doing that, but mainly it does seem like a "show me" year. I know feelings are mixed on Fleury, but I just didn't see him being that bad that he couldn't be a cheap bottom pairing guy at least, and then, if he elevates you have a cheap mid pairing guy if you sign him to a longer, cheap deal. But it appears that we're not really sold on him at all. The thing is, if he doesn't even do enough to be traded, that's a big whiff of a #7 pick. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, remkin said:

I think this clearly lays out that the team is not thrilled with Fleury. I thought this would be a masterful time to lock him up cheap for a few years. I wonder if our cap pinch was part of not doing that, but mainly it does seem like a "show me" year. I know feelings are mixed on Fleury, but I just didn't see him being that bad that he couldn't be a cheap bottom pairing guy at least, and then, if he elevates you have a cheap mid pairing guy if you sign him to a longer, cheap deal. But it appears that we're not really sold on him at all. The thing is, if he doesn't even do enough to be traded, that's a big whiff of a #7 pick. 

Could be, but that 1 year bridge deal could well be of Fleury's choosing.  Rather than commit to a cheap multi-year deal he might have opted to bet on himself with a 1 year show-me  deal, especially since losing his waiver exemption means that he'll be with the Canes full time this year. .

18 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Forsling, McKeown, and Carrick are all subject to waivers.   Same with Bishop and Wallmark up front.   Front office still has some work to do this summer.

OK, after all this time, I still don't fully understand how this works. Can't McKeown, Carrick and Bishop start in the AHL without clearing? Do they have to be promoted? Or is it that if they play in the NHL they can't be sent back down without clearing? Guys in the AHL don't count against the cap.

18 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Okay gocanes, like OBXer was asking I guess, does this include JWilly's present salary or not? And if it doesn't, and we anticipate that he will require what, $4mil to sign, would that then exceed the Cap? Course, in the short term, I believe I'm correct to say that we can operate over cap until the season start, correct? And if that's correct than there's still space to maneuver, right? In other words, a trade could then put us back into compliance?

One additional question, how many contracts are we carrying now and are we close there?

JW has no present salary as he is an unsigned FA.  I really would like to see the Canes sign him, which combined with the unsigned RFAs and 2 in arbitration, put them over the cap.  Reimer, TVR, and possibly McGinn if he is awarded too much are trade candidates.