The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

I like Saku.  Not a first liner, but I'd put that money there over giving McGinn way more than 2-mil.  I like McGinn too. 

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 3

Not to keep beating a dead horse, but what the heck is there to do during this heat infested time of the year. And if someone could help me with part of this, I'd be appreciative. SOOO, on the Faulk debate, does he presently have a trade restriction clause in his contract? And if not, will he be seeking same in his next deal?

To me, a negative answer to the 1st question and positive to the 2nd would greatly influence my decision about him. And in the words of our 2 great debaters, whether one is a "player hater" or "fanboy", I don't think there's any argument to the fact that we've observed great swings in competency in this particular player. Thus, no matter how jaundiced one's eyes are, and I'll confess that mine are on the negative side, J Faulk performed less than ideal for 3 years previous (blame that on the coaching if you'd prefer), but ACCEPTABLE last year. Now some have fixated on the 2-3 eye opening saves he made behind the goalie this past year, and they were beauties no doubt, but in the same vein, didn't we see many of those highlight reel saves over the years from Cam Ward? And I think the general consensus eventually turned out to be "average" at best on Cam. 

Thus, again, not to be stirring this cauldron, but one other element on Faulk that I've not seen discussed, but what if reuping him this next year would involve an NMC or NTC?How would the consensus go then? I for one would be very hesitant to do so based on the huge swings we've observed over the last 5 years in his play. And, if there is reservation on resigning, and with the backlog of decent to good, nee great, D we have waiting patiently to be unleashed on the NHL, is there consideration to seek out a trade partner. Admittedly, Justin's training regime seemed to put him in excellent shape last year, and his D was night and day different with fewer head scratching mistakes, so that a trade does not need to be immediate, but there's a lot to think about with him? 

29 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

SOOO, on the Faulk debate, does he presently have a trade restriction clause in his contract?

According to CapFriendly he has a modified no-trade clause. He submits a 15 team trade list.  Interesting is that the only other player left with a no-trade contract is Staal who has a full no trade clause. Of course we haven't signed Williams yet

6 minutes ago, AssistantGM said:

McGinn has resigned before his hearing. Terms are two years 4.2M. first year 1.9M; then 2.3M. Cap room getting tight for JW.

It looks like we will need to make a move or two but we should note that there are a few players on the roster who won't be there after training camp.

37 minutes ago, OBXer said:

According to CapFriendly he has a modified no-trade clause. He submits a 15 team trade list.  Interesting is that the only other player left with a no-trade contract is Staal who has a full no trade clause. Of course we haven't signed Williams yet

I really try to push myself to  see the player's side of things because I'm a fan of the team. When a player leaves for another team I don't really follow them much anymore. There are exceptions, but I go to the PNC to see the Hurricanes, and I want them to win, and thus I tend to come down on the side of things that benefit the team. This is not an intention to care about the owner's pockets at all, just that once players leave and spread out to other teams, they are not only not part of the Canes, but in some small way are trying to hurt the Canes (it's their job, but still). I want us to have the best team possible all of the time more than I really deeply care where a millionaire player ends up. He's still in the NHL, he'll be fine.

One place this comes in big time is NTC/NMC. I don't begrudge the player for wanting them. Who wouldn't want more control of their destiny even if it's just to avoid being shipped off to some team that is essentially hockey purgatory. If I were a player I would push hard for the best NMC I could get. But I HATE them for the team. They end up hurting the team, a lot. JR handed them out like candy. He probably figured they'd end up being someone else's problem. They did. Not in the form of a guy becoming un-tradeable, but in the form of our return dropping like a rock. 

Just off the top of my head: Ray Whitney: well, he turned out to be un-tradeable. He fully exercised his NTC at the end of a meaningless season. Cost us a first round pick. Love Ray, but that hurt the team. Eric Staal refused to go anywhere but the Rangers. Jeff Skinner? Buffalo or nothing. Adam Fox used a different means but same effect: Rangers or see ya. Then there is no telling how many potential deals Faulk killed with his partial NTC, or others as well. 

Who knows what players we'd have with first rounders for Whitney, Staal and Skinner just to name 3. 

Smart teams limit these buggers as much as possible. 

Another thing is dumping bad contracts. Imagine if Mongo had a NTC and refused to be traded? Some contracts are very hard to move, but at least most can be moved. Heck the Oilers actually traded Lucic. Without a NMC, you can sign guys to generous contracts and at least get market value back if they underperform. Throw that little clause in there, and good luck moving them or getting even a bag of pucks back when they are only willing to go to a team that can't sign them or doesn't want them. Now you're really stuck with that contract and a disgruntled player.

No Move Clause? I like that we've added and extra N. NNMC. No no move clauses. 

That is a good deal for us and for Brock.  For me, he's a 2M a year guy, so if we overpaid, it is not by much. 3rd liner that is a key PKer, hits everything in sight and can chip in with some goals.  

• Like 6

Our current Cap Space is $2,495,209  according to CapFriendly. They did record McGinn's cap hit at 2.1 this season. I think teams can spend 10 percent over the cap in the offseason as long as they are in compliance by the start of the season

4 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Our current Cap Space is $2,495,209  according to CapFriendly. They did record McGinn's cap hit at 2.1 this season. I think teams can spend 10 percent over the cap in the offseason as long as they are in compliance by the start of the season

They still have Bishop and Gibbons on the roster. That's 1.425 more. Not a lot, but get's us to $3.9 million. 

$3.9 million seems a little light for Justin Williams. That said, I have to think that the team has a plan. Some way to free up another million? Necas is around that.

I wonder if now that McGinn is settled, we might here something about Justin Williams fairly soon?

• Like 1

I suspect this is not legal, but what if the team told Williams, "take $3.9 million, and when you retire we'll take you on and add a $1million bonus to your salary". 

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

I suspect this is not legal, but what if the team told Williams, "take $3.9 million, and when you retire we'll take you on and add a $1million bonus to your salary". 

Ah the wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more negotiation tactic 😎 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, remkin said:

NHL would be on us like flies on *edit*...

17 minutes ago, remkin said:

They still have Bishop and Gibbons on the roster. That's 1.425 more. Not a lot, but get's us to $3.9 million. 

and Necas. The Reimer 3.4 million dollar contract is a possiible trade move even if we retain a bit of salary. I'm not sure we want to do that but a possibility. My hunch is if Williams want back in then we will find a way.

11 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I like Saku.  Not a first liner, but I'd put that money there over giving McGinn way more than 2-mil.  I like McGinn too. 

Good terms on McGinn.  That being said, at some point it gets to be a numbers game.  I like McGinn too, but I can see him being moved now for futures if they can bring JWilly back.

• Like 1

Does seem to be a bottleneck at the bottom of the forward line up. They still have to decide on Saku. 

Just fully realized that we only get one year of Haula unless we re-sign him. Next year there is some work to do. Re sign Haula if he delivers, then have to deal with Foegele, Walmark, Faulk, TVR and Fleury among others. 

We have a tendency to not re-sign guys with one year left. This makes me think a Faulk trade might still be on the table. Hanifin, Skinner, Lindholm, Ferland, even Mrazek. All wanted more than we thought was fair. All left. Faulk's initial request was apparently a bit rich.....

53 minutes ago, AssistantGM said:

Cap room getting tight for JW.

And for just general in-season flexibility, which is why I've been looking at Faulk (more likely of the two) or Staal (much, much less likely) as our only options for making space.

When we got Dougie last year, pretty much everyone here figured Faulk was gone, but there were either no takers among his list of 15 or we weren't willing to part with him for the returns offered. Both of those dynamics have changed. Our depth front and back, coupled with this being the last year of Faulk's deal, allows us to take a Cliff Pu-type return.

As for Staal, the NMC is a problem, but only to the extent that Jordan wouldn't waive. If he'd like to play with his brother again, that could work; the Wild have almost $10 million in cap space, with Mikko in the last year of his deal. Outside of him, their centers are Eric, Victor and Eriksson Ek, who is an RFA. Donato, who is still on his ELC, is listed as playing all three forward spots, and he is waivers exempt. If they sent us Donato in exchange for Staal, they could sign Eriksson Ek at a bargain price in the first year of his deal, until Mikko's off the books, move Rask or Eric to the wing, and be set at C both this year and going forward. On our side, we'd get the room we need for Willy, McKeown, and then some. 

I don't want to lose Jordan, but if we're going to dump salary, I don't see viable options for doing that other than him and Faulk.  

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 3

Got a bit off track on that last post, was supposed to be about McGinn. I like McGinn. Been following him since we drafted him. Met his father on a cruise. But is he pricing himself off the team? The team, of course, agreed to the deal, but I wonder with a team deep in prospects how long a guy like McGinn lasts, even at $2.1 million if he doesn't up his production. His 10 goals was a drop from 16 the previous year where he looked like progression might take him to 20. 

He does a lot of things right, but if he only can score 10 goals then he's a fourth liner on this team. $2 million/year is not bank-breaking, but if he's just a banger, it's a lot. IMO Warren Foegele will do much of what McGinn brings, but with a higher goal ceiling. And there are guys in the AHL and so on. 

That said, this team, this year, could use his grit. Losing Ferland and DeHaan, our two top hitters, will take us down a notch in the physical. McGinn can hit as hard as anyone. Not really a tough guy, but he can lay a hit. So I don't see us moving him, at least not this year. (So they'll trade him later today). 

Edit: I don't see McGinn being moved because he hits, but if it comes down to J Williams or McGinn? Easy. We get a prospect or picks for McGinn.

I don't see Staal or Faulk being moved at least not yet. I could be wrong but if our mantra is only trades that make us better it would be difficult to obtain in what essentially would be a salary dump.

I do see trade scenarios that might work for both players but not yet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OBXer said:

and Necas. The Reimer 3.4 million dollar contract is a possiible trade move even if we retain a bit of salary. I'm not sure we want to do that but a possibility. My hunch is if Williams want back in then we will find a way.

Yeah, I really think the committee has a plan. They may even know what Williams wants and are just making the necessary moves, even if another is needed. Brind'Amour wants Williams back in a major way, and the committee listens hard to Rod (why Jordo is not going anywhere). It will be the final piece, the announcement of J Williams triumphant return to set the stage for the new, exciting season.

10 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Good terms on McGinn.  That being said, at some point it gets to be a numbers game.  I like McGinn too, but I can see him being moved now for futures if they can bring JWilly back.

I don't see this at the moment but I can't argue that at some point it becomes a numbers game. McGinn strikes me as the type of player Brindy likes. I can see a McGinn trade at deadline or next summer.  Then again it is a numbers game as you point out.

This roster is filling up......

Some of our yutes probably feel like they've been standing in the registration line for hours, and all that's left is that 7am Calc course with that really mean teacher that's hard to understand.

Eesh.

• Like 2

"We're relieved to have this settled before going to arbitration," said Waddell. "Brock was an important part of what we accomplished last season and we're happy to have him as part of our group moving forward."

Looks like a little fudge room for a Williams signing. Tip of the hat to Canes Country for this

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, OBXer said:

The Reimer $3.4M and TVR's $2.3M deals are the ones that scream out to be moved in order to create $ for a fair JW signing.  They may have to subsidize a Reimer trade, but even if they hold onto $1M that would add $2.4M of cap space.  I have been a constant proponent of promoting McKeown into TVR's position, which would save them about $1.4M.  Hope to see JW signed in the next couple of weeks.