The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

7 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Canesfanforever, this was your original point. Wading through all your secondary gibberish, I attempted to make the counterpoint to that statement, and that one statement alone, despite all the other rambling that you do about certain entitled players.  I guess to be excused from that stipulation of "not making demands" results from a player's value, or of what his demands bring to the team? I further stated that in fact, Aho made a demand on this team to sign for 5 years (vs what Waddell would have preferred for 8 years) OR he would take Montreal's offer. Fox DEMANDED a trade to New York or we would lose him for nothing as he wouldn't sign here but play on beyond our rights to him. And these are just 2 such demands of recent memory. You somehow demean Pulj's right to such a reaction after years of frustrating effort, while conversely  punctuating that by pointing out how that system in Edmonton likely rushed him and was responsible for ineptness at this stage of his career. Yet you would appear it seems, to demand he put his entire career and any aspirations he still has for it aside, by being the respectful, servile menion. Finally you seem to afford Fox whom I remind you has never set foot on NHL ice, the right to make his demands in effect to be traded to the team he CHOOSES to play for, yet you restrict the right of a player who has labored in a crappy system in the NHL until he's got zero confidence? This all seems double standard to me.

Now before you go off half cocked about the above, let me quickly state that I am not an advocate of just because a player does not get his way, that he's got a right to demand a trade, in fact , just the opposite. In this player's case however, if his apparent frequent crappy treatment is truthful, I believe he's earned a reprieve. Thus as regrettable as his going public with his demands seem, I feel it is less whimsical than several others in recent past.

The question then becomes  why  cater to the  Keith  Priemeau's of the world  ?

23 hours ago, remkin said:

I like the idea of Puljujarvi given the upside, and I don't care about him wanting out, I just don't see us doing it, unless J Williams retires.

To which i'll continue riding the horse i've been riding all offseason - Williams is doing the team no favors by prolonging his decision.  Not saying the Canes would be interested in Puljujarvi anyway nor that they'd necessarily be able to get him, but if they knew Williams was on his way out, perhaps they could be looking at backup plans, Puljujarvi or no.  As it is, Williams continues to sit on the pot without doing anything.

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

To which i'll continue riding the horse i've been riding all offseason - Williams is doing the team no favors by prolonging his decision.  Not saying the Canes would be interested in Puljujarvi anyway nor that they'd necessarily be able to get him, but if they knew Williams was on his way out, perhaps they could be looking at backup plans, Puljujarvi or no.  As it is, Williams continues to sit on the pot without doing anything.

I'd like to stay with the idea that all parties already know he's coming back and their slow playing it, but recent comments make me wonder if he's not really still mulling it. Almost everyone I hear opine just can't believe he'd retire after the year he had and with all that's here, but it would be nice to put that one in the "done" box too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

To each their own?

8 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I dunno. Talent or potential, maybe?

On 8/12/2019 at 11:09 AM, Canesfanforever said:

A player does not make demands  , it's the team in the end that makes demands .  If this kid  Was scoring like mcdavid carrying the team on his back and was an aged veteran  then i see an argument there .  but in this case he is not , has not , and never will be  that  guy imo .  

Ah, now I understand. If a player's great, he can do whatever he wants - demand a trade, hold out for a new contract, etc. But if he's a young player who has been stuck in a bad situation, toss him to the curb with the rest of the trash.

Do I like players going public with demands to be traded? No, but if nothing else has worked, then why not use that last arrow in the quiver?

36 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

Ah, now I understand. If a player's great, he can do whatever he wants - demand a trade, hold out for a new contract, etc. But if he's a young player who has been stuck in a bad situation, toss him to the curb with the rest of the trash.

Do I like players going public with demands to be traded? No, but if nothing else has worked, then why not use that last arrow in the quiver?

I just don't see the upside of taking on a problem child  when  the canes Already have a great thing going .   And to me  Puljujarvi  just  SCREAMS   he has a bit of an Ego  that could go against  the lockeroom   and cause more damage than good .   Keep in mind   I believe his development   has been rushed and  because of it   there is no upside to trying to tackle  and already proven ego   when who the canes have  in the Checkers system  has proven to deserve a spot on the line up more than  a 4 goal scorer does ! 

Also side note I do like that  people are thinking  in terms of bringing in someone who can shoot right  to play right wing  and would have a finish connection  to complement  Aho and Teravainen  !  

A lot could, maybe might be in the report by Elliotte Friedman posted in the Rumors section of Spector's Hockey today but Friedman says Tampa Bay and the Carolina Hurricanes could be interested in Jesse Puljujari.  Suggests we may be willing to give up a prospect like Gauthier but not both a prospect and a draft pick, the apparent asking price by the Oil.

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

A lot could, maybe might be in the report by Elliotte Friedman posted in the Rumors section of Spector's Hockey today but Friedman says Tampa Bay and the Carolina Hurricanes could be interested in Jesse Puljujari.  Suggests we may be willing to give up a prospect like Gauthier but not both a prospect and a draft pick, the apparent asking price by the Oil.

IDK OBXer, seems this possibility was thrashed out elsewhere on these threads, and the point made that there's just no place to fit this guy, even if the asking price were not so high? His worth is debatable, and I'd interjected that to me, the question is whether or not his deployment in the Oiler system was the culprit, or was he overrated? Seems too that Hari Aho weighed in on this from afar and thinks (I think I've read) that he can be a valuable player? But then we're back to where does he fit into our system and cost?

I'd do Puljujarvi for Gauthier. Might even throw in a third rounder. But I still have trouble seeing where we fit him into our lineup, especially if J Williams returns. 

Gauthier finally started to put the puck into the AHL net last year. I have not given up on him. But Puljuvari's rookie AHL season matches up with Gauthier's second one.

Puljujarvi: 25G, 59P (projected)

Gauthier: 29G, 45P (projected)

Again, I put a lot of stock in rookie AHL numbers, but more so if they are good than bad, and Puljujarvi's numbers are not far off of Necas' for rookies (59 points vs 66 points). 

The thing is, Gauthier is nicely tucked into an AHL team. He is still in the incubator and not taking ice time from someone we need. But Puljujarvi, I'm assuming, would have to play with the Canes*. Who do you displace from the lineup to let this project in? 

Further, this is a bet on being able to fix Puljujarvi, because his year last year was scary bad. Projected to 7G, 16 points, and -30 (his actual -14 was second to last on the team). This defines a fixer-upper project. This does not mean it isn't worth a shot. This guy was #4 overall because he was a beast and a very high skilled force leading up to his draft year. He joined a long list of guys who either busted or struggled mightily to make their way in Edmonton. There is upside and the idea of getting a guy like this, and getting his head right and getting him on a cheap deal could be a winning lottery ticket. 

But, who do you kick out of the lineup? Baring an injury, I really don't want to move anyone out of the top 9 for this guy right now. 

Aho? TT? Svech? Nino? Dzingel? Staal? Haula? Foegele? Williams? (or if Williams retires, Necas). It does no good to put Puljuarvi on the 4th line. But he's not a center and I don't want to lose the heart and physicality of Martinook or McGinn. 

I guess if Williams retires, we could put Puljujarvi on the third line in that last top 9 slot and keep Necas in Charlotte. I'm not sure if that's the right message OR that Puljujarvi is right now better than Necas. 

The notion is a good one. But how it would actually work, not so sure. 

*Can we send Puljujarvi down to Charlotte? If so, I'd trade him for Gauthier and a third rounder and let Puljujarvi prove it in Charlotte. I'd take that chance. Not sure if we can though. But if so, then yes for me. If not? I'd tread carefully.

Just say no to JP.  Besides not breaking through in the scoring column, the guy skates like he has a piano on his back.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Just say no to JP.  Besides not breaking through in the scoring column, the guy skates like he has a piano on his back.

Look at the bright side.  Only the elite of the elite can skate with a piano on their back.  He must be special.  :)

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Look at the bright side.  Only the elite of the elite can skate with a piano on their back.  He must be special.  :)

No, the elite of the elite can play it while they skate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

So what do y’all think of the Jake Gardiner signing?

In a vacuum, it does not make sense to me.  Packed with a subsequent trade of a D man for O would bring clarity.

18 minutes ago, beboplar said:

In a vacuum, it does not make sense to me.  Packed with a subsequent trade of a D man for O would bring clarity.

Short term: PP QB.  But gotta be in big part a longer term move.  Looks like they've given up on re-signing Faulk after this season and TVR is probably toast as well given our depth in the system.  I'm expecting a subsequent trade, but given our current forward depth I won't be surprised if it's D for picks (I'd say "and prospects" but I don't see anyone giving up top prospects and we're well stocked with prospects below that level) .

What I'm contemplating for this conundrum would be to hold on to Faulk to allow preseason to shake out for other teams and see if we might get at that point, some callers when others' defenses start to take shape. That way, there may be a bit more urgency from others to solidify their ranks, and add to Faulk's value. At present, the atmosphere is somewhat subdued until pieces and apparent weaknesses become more apparent?