The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

14 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

But we need cap flexibility, that's why I was wo during if we would be willing to ditch Reimer and run with Petr and Ned. Then closer to the Trade deadline, with a healthy TVR we see what we need and get what we can with either Faulk or TVR. 

Problem is that almost all the teams have their goalie tandems settled...except Tampa, who seems to be snatching every goalie on the market.  Hmm...how bout Reimer for Point?  ;)

Well, sayonara Justin...it was fun while it lasted...but there's no way we keep him after that revelation.  Not with the logjam...

26 minutes ago, remkin said:

If I were on the committee, (who knows, maybe they read us), I would not vote to trade Faulk for Pu. IMO we traded Skinner for Pu because he was viewed as a negative to the plan. Old Faulk, I'd agree, but last year's Faulk no. The proof is not only Faulk's play, but the team's play with Faulk on it. Faulk is worth more to us than Pu. I want a first rounder or something better, or just keep him. But that's just me.

I agree with you and was prepared to watch Faulk with the Canes this season, but Gardiner.  There's a logjam on defense and for the first time in the history of organized hockey in North Carolina, salary.  Something has to give, and losing Fleury's salary isn't going to fix anything.

4 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Something has to give, and losing Fleury's salary isn't going to fix anything.

But Pu doesn't fix anything either.

Just making an argument. Plus at a juvenile level it sounded funny in my head.

11 minutes ago, remkin said:

But Pu doesn't fix anything either.

Just making an argument. Plus at a juvenile level it sounded funny in my head.

6DA496F4-C4DF-4FF1-8228-A6B63FC7AFF7.gif

I'm already liking the Committee, but man, if we can move him without giving up Fleury or another high level prospect? They're getting chocolates in a heart-shaped box.

11 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm already liking the Committee, but man, if we can move him without giving up Fleury or another high level prospect? They're getting chocolates in a heart-shaped box.

Amen to that top!!

On another note, Rutherford must be hitting the CBD too often again, as he is said to have commented that with the team makeovers to date, that this team currently RESEMBLES the one that won the Cup in 2016. I'd answer that by saying "resembles"is a stretch, and only because Crosby and Malkin remain does it resemble?

This might be another case of  counting  the chicks before the hatch  kinda Scenario .   Anaheim sit at a good location for their 1st over all pick . and if the canes managed to get that from them alone ?   which i doubt but just  saying .   Somebody would have to pinch me  cause i must be  dreaming  , California Dreaming ! 

Sounds like Faulk to Anaheim is a done deal pending him waiving his NTC, according to hockey twitter (Sara Civian being one of them).  Guess we will wait and see.

Saw the Faulk to Ducks rumor by Friedman and the local writers on twitter (Sara Civian of The Athletic).  Apparently the issue is ANA is not on his approved trade list.  The return apparently is centered around Ordrej Kase.

2 hours ago, ironman87 said:

Saw the Faulk to Ducks rumor by Friedman and the local writers on twitter (Sara Civian of The Athletic).  Apparently the issue is ANA is not on his approved trade list.  The return apparently is centered around Ordrej Kase.

Check. I'm wondering what might be going through Justin Faulk's mind right now? If the chatter is true, the salary proposed this July by Waddell for him is vastly different than what he/his agent expects? And while he did clean up his deficiencies last season, the bigger question is whether or not that is permanent? Then there's the question of his decreasing effectiveness on the PP, and in my eyes, perhaps only mine, but his oft repeated inability to hold the blue line during a PP such that the entirety of it (PP) has to be reset?

So to me, the curiosity I have is WHY does he choose Anaheim as a team to which he doesn't want to be traded, and would he rethink that if offered closer to what he/his agent thinks is his worth? Balance that thought against the long simmering fact that the team he's grown up with has apparently been trying to overtly trade him, and as a person, how does that leave you feeling?

2 hours ago, ironman87 said:

Sounds like Faulk to Anaheim is a done deal

Agreed upon between the 2 teams perhaps ironman87, but long way from done until the player accepts?

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

So to me, the curiosity I have is WHY does he choose Anaheim as a team to which he doesn't want to be traded

I think he simply put all Western teams in his no trade list knowing that GMs are not fond of trades inside conference/division. 

Unless Faulk takes a page from Ferlands book and opts to get paid now before risking injury I otherwise don't see why Faulk would want to go from what used to be a poop show in Carolina to a current poop show in Anaheim and be signed up for it for years. I don't see this deal happening at full capacity, that money will be there next year for Faulk. He might decide to spend a year on the beach, see if Anaheim can get it together and then extend but why (other than potential injury) would he extend today for Anaheim?

• Like 1

A  couple of thoughts on the J Faulk situation.

1. I have to think that there is no trade list order. There might be 6-8 teams that he would not go to period. Say, maybe the Oilers etc. As he fills out the list the names at the bottom might be "maybe's". That would potentially allow for him to waive. No idea where Anaheim is, but if their at the top of the list, it would take a massive overpay if even then. I have to think it's a firmer no now that their expected destiny is not great in the short term.

2. If Anaheim is on his NTC list though, then it would seem almost certain that he would have to want to get a contract as good or better than what he envisions he will get in UFA, and with everyone knowing the cap and salaries are going to bump in two years. This will also affect our return. If Faulk somehow agrees to go to Anaheim but not to sign, then we will get lower return.

3. I'm trying to figure out why Waddell would hammer out a deal if Justin has just said "no". But then again, the agent is probably telling him, "always listen. No harm in listening."

4 Ondrej Kase. So hard to keep up with all 700 plus players that get on the ice in the NHL. Does anyone on here watch him much? Lately my position is "if the committee likes a guy there is probably an advanced stats kind of reason, and they have been pretty on lately. Then again, best I can tell this is someone speculating. Luke said the Canes have had a long interest in him, and he'd be surprised if he wasn't part of the deal.

Kase does have the ppg metrics to qualify as an upgrade. His last two seasons combined are just under a 50 point pace per year, and last season he was on a 55 point pace. The season before he put up 20 goals. Last year he only played 30 games due to shoulder surgery. Not sure how this would affect our depth guys, and in a lot of ways I'd rather throw something in and get a first rounder. The problem is that teams facing a rebuild don't want to trade those.

3 minutes ago, Goalieman_nc said:

I just saw this from the article by Friedman: "According to TFP Editor-in-Chief David Pagnotta, Faulk’s next deal could be worth north of $6 million, annually."

Does he mean with Anaheim or his estimated UFA deal in the offseason?

Contract year Faulk might be special.

I agree in this case the logjam is an issue and we have to do this, but we should also typically consider keeping these guys in their contact year, contact year Skinner kicked azz.  If you aren't getting anything, might as well keep them during their job interview.

Not in this case though, too many D.