The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

That has to be Awkward  for everybody . 

Wasn't Duchene traded from Colorado during intermission of a regular season game? Faulk still is under contract with Canes until trade is finalized 

That has to be Awkward  for everybody . 

Not really.  Faulk has been rumored to be trade bait for about the past 3 years.  He controls his own destiny per the provisions of his current contract.  He is coming off a good season, is well liked and represents the team well.  He is readying himself for the upcoming season.  He may very well be skating for the Canes, we shall see.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

In case you're wondering, Justin Faulk is skating with the Canes today at RCI.

6 replies7 retweets57 likes

Of course he would be, why would he not? His agent is handling any and all discussions, meanwhile Justin is putting in his time to be in his best shape, no matter if on the East or West coast.

• Like 2

I have to think that Anaheim is working on an extension with Faulk. Obviously this won't be a blockbuster, but if they sign Faulk, we will get more and the return should be better than Pu, but I'm thinking better than the DeHaan return also. If we were to get Kase, we would go from very deep to pretty sick depth.

Aho-Teravainen-Svech-Staal-Nino-Haula-Dzingle-Kase-Necas-Foegele-Martinook-McGinn....Wallmark. The top 8 are 50 point guys, the top 2, 80 point guys. Should light the lamp, a lot.

Seriously 4 lines that can score and 3 that can score a lot. 

Slavin-Pesce-Hamilton-Gardiner-TVR-Fleury......etc. 

Then specifically consider all of the help we now have on the PP too.

If our goalies can just hold to the average line? 

I know, I know, the trade hasn't happened yet....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, remkin said:

Ondrej Kase. So hard to keep up with all 700 plus players that get on the ice in the NHL. Does anyone on here watch him much?

I recall him standing out when we played them.  Might have been speed, perhaps his work along the boards.  I don't recall specifically what it was, but welcome aboard (pending Faulk's outcome).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, remkin said:

I have to think that Anaheim is working on an extension with Faulk. Obviously this won't be a blockbuster, but if they sign Faulk, we will get more and the return should be better than Pu, but I'm thinking better than the DeHaan return also. If we were to get Kase, we would go from very deep to pretty sick depth.

Aho-Teravainen-Svech-Staal-Nino-Haula-Dzingle-Kase-Necas-Foegele-Martinook-McGinn....Wallmark. The top 8 are 50 point guys, the top 2, 80 point guys. Should light the lamp, a lot.

Seriously 4 lines that can score and 3 that can score a lot. 

Slavin-Pesce-Hamilton-Gardiner-TVR-Fleury......etc. 

Then specifically consider all of the help we now have on the PP too.

If our goalies can just hold to the average line? 

I know, I know, the trade hasn't happened yet....

There is nothing quite like remkinthusiasm.  I like it.  :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hag65 said:

There is nothing quite like remkinthusiasm.  I like it.  :)

Just watched some youtube on Kase: High skilled, looks pretty fast. A few breakaway goals with a sweet move to the backhand, but also some flying down the wing, and a lot with slick hands around the net an a sniper's ability to go top corner. It's far from a done deal but if it happens, we will have just a stunning amount of depth at all positions, except maybe goal, but then maybe in goal too. 

Just to get more pumped, both Hamilton and Gardiner will bring serious offense from the back end too. 

Now Gronk is saying he'll rejoin the Patriots in week 14, so maybe Williams gets an idea. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, remkin said:

looks pretty fast.

That's what stood out for me, his speed. There can no longer be any doubt: We're just buying up the league's Ferraris.

• Like 1

C'mon Justin  WHAT THE FAULK IS TAKING YOU SO LONG !  SIGN ANAHEIMS  EXTENSION ALREADY !   THEY HAVE DISNEY  LAND 

Edited by bluedevil58

I think the sticking point is the contract extension. Faulk knows he can hold out for a sign-and-trade because the Canes must get under the cap before the deadline.

I won't be surprised if it happens pretty quickly because having him in camp is a distraction--but I can also picture it happening at the eleventh hour.

50 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

We're just buying up the league's Ferraris.

And I think it's going to be very fun to watch them. I can't wait. 

• Like 1

I peeked in on a Ducks board and they hate the idea of giving up Kase for Faulk.  The sense I get is that he's got great puck and playmaking skills.  But so far he's been quite injury prone.  In the 4 years he's been in North America he hasn't yet played a full sesaon [combined regular season AHL/NHL games going backwards from last season: 30, 67, 67, 25]  .  I think someone mentioned that he's already had 4 or 5 concussions.  So this might be a high risk but potentially really high reward move if it comes through.

16 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I peeked in on a Ducks board and they hate the idea of giving up Kase for Faulk.  The sense I get is that he's got great puck and playmaking skills.  But so far he's been quite injury prone.  In the 4 years he's been in North America he hasn't yet played a full sesaon [combined regular season AHL/NHL games going backwards from last season: 30, 67, 67, 25]  .  I think someone mentioned that he's already had 4 or 5 concussions.  So this might be a high risk but potentially really high reward move if it comes through.

It's a little concerning   but  it could be  how well he is taking care of himself   and some teams really dont give a crap about player safety .    Under the Canes system they will work out a plan to make sure he eats right and works out right ,  Bill Burnitson  will have this guy and Jake Gardiner   paying more close attention to how they   condition themselves . 

From Friedman's "31 Thoughts" 

6. A few teams expressed surprise with the reports about Kase. He’s not someone who was available for a long time. Anaheim must be concerned about his health. 

12. Jesse Puljujarvi knows what he has to do in Finland — play hard and play well. He’s off to the right start. The Oilers talked with Carolina (Julien Gauthier) and Tampa Bay (Alexander Volkov was someone they liked), but didn’t get to where they felt comfortable. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-tense-rfa-waiting-game-hits-final-stages/sn-amp/

Edited by LakeLivin

Yeah.  Pul has been in discussions due to chemistry with Aho.  I fully expect the Faulk trade to be a cap unload and a 2nd will come our way.  Anything more and I would be surprised.   We all know deep down that Faulk is a low end 4th dman at best and anyone who disagrees with this is living in denial.

12 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

The Oilers talked with Carolina (Julien Gauthier) and Tampa Bay (Alexander Volkov was someone they liked), but didn’t get to where they felt comfortable. 

Just me, but i would have given Gauthier for Puljujarvi.  Wouldn't have given more, though, and i'm betting the Oil wanted sweetener.

3 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Just me, but i would have given Gauthier for Puljujarvi.  Wouldn't have given more, though, and i'm betting the Oil wanted sweetener.

For me, the problem with Puljujarvi is that he's no longer waiver exempt.  So you either have to feel confident that he earns a spot on a deep Canes roster or risk losing him to a less deep team that wants to take a flier on him.  Probably no option for him to work his way back through Charlotte.  Otherwise, yeah, I'd have pulled that trigger too if it were available.

• Like 1

I am not sure about Ondrej Kase.  Every time I google his name I see concussions - a torn shoulder.  This guy is only 23 years old

and hasn't played a full season yet.   There has got to be someone more durable out there.   When he does play he looks pretty good.

I watched quite a few videos on him and he has some speed and great moves.   But.....??