The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

I count two concussions for Kase, one in the A and one in the NHL. I don't know about the early one, but apparently the second was caused by an opponent or a teammate; Drew Doughty punched him twice in the back of the head and when a teammate tried to jump in to defend him, he apparently kicked Kase in the noggin. 

The torn shoulder labrum he suffered to end his season is probably good news; unlike a rotator cuff, there is never a question about surgery versus healing on its own for this injury; surgery is the only option. The procedure completely relieves the pain about 2/3 of the time for pitchers (as the linked article, which is baseball-centric, notes). But given that hockey players in general don't make the same overhand motion often, let alone repeatedly, it wouldn't seem to be as (potentially) limiting, even if Kase is among the 1/3 of people whose effects linger after the operation.  

• Like 2

I keep asking myself that if I'm Faulk at this point in his career, after having spent most of his career with an under preforming team, with an expiring contract why in the world would he sign an extension with another under preforming team. if I were Faulk I would wave the no trade if it didn't require a contract extension. If I'm the Ducks I want an extension or a bargain basement trade price. Then again I'm not Faulk and money talks.

• Like 2

Nice quote from Ryan Lambert, Yahoo Sports Canada, praising the committee, and us, if we end up with Kase:

I’ve said it before, but it’s worth repeating: If you’re entering into a trade with the Hurricanes these days, the odds are good you’re coming out on the losing end. Their ability to identify and secure talent at below the market rate is basically unmatched in this league, and few teams are as behind the times when it comes to evaluation as the Ducks. To say Faulk-for-Kase would be a benefit to the team acquiring Kase is an understatement, even if that team weren’t desperately trying to replace one of the most reliable top-six right wings in the league.

I have to admit I think overall they're right. One could just say "Rask for Nino" and drop the mike, and we'll have to wait and see on Gardiner, Haula, Dzingel, and maybe Kase, but I really think we've been very good at finding guys at reasonable prices that have bigger upside than they have name recognition. We are using our proprietary stats to find them, then Waddell is going and getting them. It helps that a bigger subset of guys seem to see us as a good destination too.

Full article; https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ducks-ondrej-kase-would-provide-exactly-what-hurricanes-need-144020916.html

Kase has 2 years left at $2.6 million, then is an RFA with arbitration rights and obviously no NTC. BTW Anaheim has 8 players with NMC or Modified NMC.  Sort of old school Rutherfordian. That's probably good though since they don't seem to mind handing them out and Faulk will clearly want one on his new deal.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Extend Faulk and throw a late rounder at them for Kase and call it a day ;)

No way. Kase with his injury history isn’t worth Faulk and another pick.   If anything we should get a conditional pick if he doesnt play enough games over the next two years.

Edited by gocanes0506
i suck

3 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

No way. Kase with his injury history isn’t worth Faulk and a 1st

He said late rounder, not a late first rounder.

51 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

whoops good catch.  Classic internet overreaction.

Or we can give them Fleury and a 4th for Kase

23 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Or we can give them Fleury and a 4th for Kase

From what I've read AWACS, and the Ducks hope for his progression, that would be a non-starter for them?

Edited by KJUNKANE

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

From what I've read AWACS, and the Ducks hope for his progression, that would be a non-starter for them?

We sold the Wild on Rask...anything’s possible 

• Like 1

Excerpt from the article below: 

https://thehockeywriters.com/kase-ducks-2019-20-x-factor/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While Kase can recover from his shoulder surgery, the more significant concern is his history of concussions. Since 2015-16, Kase has suffered at least three concussions that we know of. In 2015-16, Kase was concussed in a game while playing for the San Diego Gulls. He landed on injured reserve in October 2017 and again in October 2018 after suffering a concussions, both against the Los Angeles Kings.

Concussion Repercussions?

Kase is young. He’ll turn 23 just over a month into the 2019-2020 season, but that cuts both ways. He still has a lot of potential, but 23 is also very young to have suffered so many concussions in such a short amount of time. Think about it, Kase has missed significant time due to concussions in three of his first four professional seasons. If he suffers another, it might be enough to jeopardize his career and even worse his long-term health if it hasn’t already.

There are also success stories — at least in the short term when it comes to head injuries — when it comes to players who had concussion problems early in their careers. Big names like Patrice Bergeron and Sidney Crosby each have endured multiple concussions and have continued to play at a high level.

Still, it raises the question, is there something about the way Kase plays that makes him vulnerable or is it a case of a young player adjusting to the physicality of the NHL?

Either way, the best ability is availability. If Kase can’t stay in the lineup, he can’t score which the Ducks desperately need if they’re going to claw their way back into playoff contention after a dreadful 2018-19 season on offense.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there's risk.  On the other hand, sounds like Kase really drives scoring and could well be that extra top 6 forward we've been looking for.( I bet our analytics guys.played a big role if the Canes are targeting him).  I'm thinking there's no way he'd be even close to available if not for his injury history (one disgruntled Ducks fan asked why they'd even consider trading their second or third best forward).   Given our depth, I'd rather roll the dice that Kase can stay healthy than on a couple of non-first round draft picks turning into anything more than depth players, if that.

Regardless of what any of us think, at the moment the deal appears to be in Faulk's hands.

Edited by LakeLivin

That is interesting Lake, as top researched and says he found 2, mentioning one in the AHL (like you show), but only 1 additional. The 2nd, from his account sounded blatant, I believe he stated that some player stomped on his head (see top's comment 10 hours ago above). 

Edited by KJUNKANE

Thing is, something has to make elite players available unless we draft them or convince them to sign UFA (but at a reasonable price, which removes a lot of elite UFA's). Guys who are core producers with no issues so rarely get traded at all. 

I was going to hold this back until we got him,  but listening on XM today to the Ducks radio play by play guy, he just gushed about Kase, who he had penciled in on the Ducks first line and thought was a 30 goal guy. 

He's on a cheap deal for just two more years, and even then an RFA, not a UFA. 

One of the nice things about our approach to UFA's and these value trades is getting to road test these guys before potentially committing to them long term. And none of them have NTC's, not even Nino. (Apparently Gardiner has a modified NTC but I'm thinking forwards, and Gardiner's is 7 teams, so we knocked 8 from Faulk's list).

There is also risk in first round draft picks, close to half of whom, especially the later drafted ones, never pan out to anything close to what Kase already is. 

Finally, we have soooo much depth that we are in a perfect spot to take a risk on a guy like Kase. If he ends up injured much of the year? Bring a guy up. Bring Williams back even. Skinner was in a similar situation. Now I don't want any part of Skinner for what the slugs paid him, but he seems to have gotten past the concussions to the tune of 40 goals last year. 

Look, Faulk has only one year left, and we are not singing him again. People were convinced we'd get Pu for him. I've seen Pu. And Kase is no Pu. 

47 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

That is interesting Lake, as top researched and says he found 2, mentioning one in the AHL (like you show), but only 1 additional. The 2nd, from his account sounded blatant, I believe he stated that some player stomped on his head (see top's comment 10 hours ago above). 

I can't claim to have researched Kase's concussion history.  I first brought it up based on a couple comments from some Duck's fans, and then picked off the first article I found with any details from a google search.  I don't claim to know how many he's actually had, and no idea how to find out if he had any in CZE (no way I'm attempting to spell that, lol). But the three mentioned in the article seem pretty well documented.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

I can't claim to have researched Kase's concussion history.  I first brought it up based on a couple comments from some Duck's fans, and then picked off the first article I found with any details from a google search.  I don't claim to know how many he's actually had, and no idea how to find out if he had any in CZE (no way I'm attempting to spell that, lol). But the three mentioned in the article seem pretty well documented.

Both I found were here, but I clearly missed the article you found. Link it if doing so isn't a PITA.

On 9/11/2019 at 8:09 PM, LakeLivin said:

No problem, it's linked in the original post, but here it is again so you don't have to scroll up. :)

https://thehockeywriters.com/kase-ducks-2019-20-x-factor/

Thanks Lake, I've been jumping in and out pretty quickly of late.

Both NHL concussions against the Kings. Guess he p-o'ed somebody. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

Supposedly now that the Faulk news is out, other teams are making inquiries about him. Could put pressure on Anaheim to get their offer in Faulk's wheelhouse, or another deal could happen. 

Soooooo glad we got the Habs to do our dirty work for us and not be dealing with Aho the way the Leafs and Jets are dealing with their prima donnas.

• Like 2

Don't you just wonder what the trigger point in Faulk's decision is, and what elements there are in it? I mean, are there advisors in it (agent or more), is it $$$ or term, waiting in case more teams join in, attachments here, family considerations although I've never heard he's married or just what? The ideal for all concerned would appear to be to consummate the trade and get everyone settled in PRIOR to season start, but then WHO knows? If true that other teams have joined the fray, then it would seem that strengthens our position and/or at least give the player other teams to choose from that might not be on his restricted list? Just pondering and waiting for the next shoe to fall.