The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

At this point, I think the org wants to find Justin a place where he wants to go and on his terms as best as they can...obviously it’s still a business and he may not be fully accommodated.  But if there’s a bidding war going on, it gives the org and he better leverage.

6 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

At this point, I think the org wants to find Justin a place where he wants to go and on his terms as best as they can...obviously it’s still a business and he may not be fully accommodated.  But if there’s a bidding war going on, it gives the org and he better leverage.

I, like you AWACS, would like to believe the altruistic nature of this impasse by the Canes org, but I just don't know?

34 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Its low. It doesn’t make sense to move him 

If we have a logjam behind him...and I really think he needs a change of scenery to have a chance at a good career 

7 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

While we’re at it...what’s the market for Fleury?

A half-drunk cup of black coffee that's been sitting out for an hour and a half and a coupon for $10 off an oil change.

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

A half-drunk cup of black coffee that's been sitting out for an hour and a half and a coupon for $10 off an oil change.

You forgot the bag o pucks

11 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I, like you AWACS, would like to believe the altruistic nature of this impasse by the Canes org, but I just don't know?

The Faulk situation could turn into a distraction.  The team already has a Captain Emeritus, now this.

37 minutes ago, beboplar said:

The Faulk situation could turn into a distraction.  The team already has a Captain Emeritus, now this.

If this goes past next week, then it's a HUGE distraction.  I think a trade happens this weekend.

43 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Faulk decided he's going to be just as quick in deciding whether to waive his NTC as Williams was in deciding what he was going to do this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

Faulk decided he's going to be just as quick in deciding whether to waive his NTC as Williams was in deciding what he was going to do this season.

Yep, If it's good enough for my Captain, it's good enough for me.

I don’t know why everyone is down on Fleury.  I think when he had a chance to play last year he looked good.  He just needs the opportunity to play more than 4 minutes a night.  On most teams he would be a solid d-man without question.  

No way he would clear waivers.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

If Faulk does decide to stay  does that mean  the canes would have to hope Fleury clears waivers  along side several others or is it just him to get back under cap ? 

I'd rather the Canes unconditionally waive Justin and move on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, beboplar said:

The Faulk situation could turn into a distraction.

It arguably already is.

If I'm coach there's no way I want a guy with one foot out the door in my camp. Funny how Mr. Ambassador hitman Erik Cole beat up on Skinner to move it on out when he was clearly no longer wanted, but not Justin, when it's every bit as clear that the org wants him out, too.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It arguably already is.

If I'm coach there's no way I want a guy with one foot out the door in my camp. Funny how Mr. Ambassador hitman Erik Cole beat up on Skinner to move it on out when he was clearly no longer wanted, but not Justin, when it's every bit as clear that the org wants him out, too.

That is a stretch. Roddie has said positive things about Faulk’s play and off ice leadership. 

They wanted Skinner out but they don’t want to lose Faulk for nothing, different situations.  Waiting until the deadline with Faulk is a risk and Roddie doesn’t like to stick in young players mid season, it seems.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

That is a stretch. Roddie has said positive things about Faulk’s play and off ice leadership. 

They wanted Skinner out but they don’t want to lose Faulk for nothing, different situations.  Waiting until the deadline with Faulk is a risk and Roddie doesn’t like to stick in young players mid season, it seems.

I have to agree the Skinner and Faulk situations are different.  Coming into his first season of coaching, Skinner was the poster boy for what type player the coach, and GM, wanted to send packing to send a message that the team's mandate was 2 way play.  There are no more pure snipers on the squad.  Faulk's play rebounded last season, but the power play suffered, as it has for some time.  Gardner was brought in to jump start the power play, and his role and contract makes moving Faulk's a smart move.  Training camp is important though, and you a) don't want this matter distracting the focus and b) you want any acquired player(s) to be in camp.

I agree with bepolar about the Faulk vs Skinner thing. I do think that there have been issues and Faulk has been on the trading block more days than any Hurricane I can remember, but last year was Faulk showing the brass that while he'll never be a Pesce shut down guy, he can clean up his D enough to be worth keeping. I guess one could argue that Skinner did it in a contract year in Buffalo and might have here, but IMO Skinner's lack of compete was much more evident than Faulk's two years ago. Skinner's effort was so bad at times that a casual fan could see it on TV. 

If this were the Canes of old, we'd probably throw a lot of money and a full NTC at Faulk right now. But this is a team with insane depth at defense and the committee has decided we are not going to pay a lot for this muffler, and this muffler wants to be paid a lot. So now, with the depth ready, and an undeniable top 4 guy slated to be bottom pair, and interest in Faulk picking up, it's the time to strike. This is not a pure dump like Skinner was, which is why they will not take Pu for Faulk. 

I have to think that negotiating an extension could take a few days, and entry into the market of other teams would just complicate things, so I'm guessing those things are delaying this. 

A couple of days ago they had Islanders Captain Anders Lee on. He said that he really didn't think that the RFA things affect the locker room, but a guy being there who wants to be traded, (or is a dead man walking IMO), is a distraction. IMO, as long as we're in camp and a lot of the guys there aren't making the team anyways, it's not a huge deal.  On the other hand, one has to think that both Justin and his new team would want him to get as much of camp with them as possible. 

I know we've been down this road with Faulk before, but this one really feels like it almost has to happen, and the sooner the better. 

7 minutes ago, remkin said:

I know we've been down this road with Faulk before, but this one really feels like it almost has to happen, and the sooner the better. 

This ones is indeed different. I just watched Faulk comment on trade speculation. It was short but confirmed for me the trade speculation has teeth. I don't think we can rule out anything at this point as so much would need to be worked out. It just seems unlikely that a Faulk trade won't happen in some form fairly soon.

I think you guys are blowing the distraction thing out of proportion. Faulk has given no indication that he wants to be traded, just that he wants to get paid. He has so far handle this like pro, showing for to work like he should. Every year around the trade deadline there are players we know are going to get traded and they show up and do their jobs until they are told not to. I dont think there are any bad feelings here, it seems Faulk knows this is business. The only harm in this dragging out is the young guys not getting the time he is taking up while here

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

I think you guys are blowing the distraction thing out of proportion. Faulk has given no indication that he wants to be traded, just that he wants to get paid. He has so far handle this like pro, showing for to work like he should. Every year around the trade deadline there are players we know are going to get traded and they show up and do their jobs until they are told not to. I dont think there are any bad feelings here, it seems Faulk knows this is business. The only harm in this dragging out is the young guys not getting the time he is taking up while here

Just from my end, I agree. I don't think it's a factor right now. If it goes on and gets all the way past camp and into the season, and it's still an open shopping, then it could become a full on distraction. Not in camp though, IMO.