The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Just from my end, I agree. I don't think it's a factor right now. If it goes on and gets all the way past camp and into the season, and it's still an open shopping, then it could become a full on distraction. Not in camp though, IMO.

I dont think it will be a distraction then. I think worst case he takes up a roster spot that goes to a younger player and the Canes possibly lose someone to waivers. Obviously trading him now is best but if they camt work out a deal for everyone I dont think Faulk or any of his team mates will have a problem playing together until they find a good deal

I'm still not sold we are better without Faulk. Is it possible that both the team and Faulk find his true market value while exploring trades and he signs an extension?

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I'm still not sold we are better without Faulk. Is it possible that both the team and Faulk find his true market value while exploring trades and he signs an extension?

I don't think we are better without Faulk. If it was just a Faulk for Pu situation, then don't do it, IMO.

But, there is the return, and the fact that we are not keep to overpay guys with a year left, and we are just so deep at D. 

Kase, if we ended up getting him, has pretty high upside and is on a cheap deal. And while we are better with Justin Faulk than TVR, in the cap era it is just really not a good plan to have a $6 million/year bottom pair D man. 

I think it's the entire thing together that screams trade, especially after we signed Gardiner. 

3 hours ago, remkin said:

I don't think we are better without Faulk. If it was just a Faulk for Pu situation, then don't do it, IMO.

But, there is the return, and the fact that we are not keep to overpay guys with a year left, and we are just so deep at D. 

Kase, if we ended up getting him, has pretty high upside and is on a cheap deal. And while we are better with Justin Faulk than TVR, in the cap era it is just really not a good plan to have a $6 million/year bottom pair D man. 

I think it's the entire thing together that screams trade, especially after we signed Gardiner. 

This.  i don't think it's about being better without Faulk at this point, i think it's about preparing for life after Faulk.  If an offer was made last season and he turned it down, i think it's about getting something for him now rather than lose him for nothing at the end of the season.  Especially with Gardiner climbing on with a similar game.

If Faulk is asking north of 6 million per year, how do we justify paying him more than Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, and Gardiner?

I wouldn’t mind keeping Faulk but how can we invest that much money into our defense? I don’t see any of the guys mentioned above being moved any time soon.

If we could make it work long-term, I’m fine with that but I don’t see how. Also, we would be back to paying 4 million+ to a bottom pairing guy, and I don’t think any of them would be fine playing on the third pairing.

Also, Marner has signed for 6 years with an AAV of 10.8 million, so the media can finally shut up and focus on something else.

6 hours ago, Kyrule said:

If Faulk is asking north of 6 million per year, how do we justify paying him more than Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, and Gardiner?

I wouldn’t mind keeping Faulk but how can we invest that much money into our defense? I don’t see any of the guys mentioned above being moved any time soon.

If we could make it work long-term, I’m fine with that but I don’t see how. Also, we would be back to paying 4 million+ to a bottom pairing guy, and I don’t think any of them would be fine playing on the third pairing.

Also, Marner has signed for 6 years with an AAV of 10.8 million, so the media can finally shut up and focus on something else.

The answer is quite simple.  We don't. 

7 hours ago, Kyrule said:

If Faulk stays, TVR should be moved.  We would lose Faulk for nothing unless we aren’t competitive come the deadline. We’d have the deepest D core in the league.  With Faulk becoming a UFA, his performance this season should be inspired. 

I cant see him staying because Faulk isn’t Hamilton, Slavin, Pesce, or Gardiner.  The crazy thing to consider is if Priskie and Bean win the the last two slots the following season.  Slavin and Pesce are our only two true defenders and PKers. If Priskie is a big goal scorer this season then maybe we keep Faulk and trade Hamilton.  A lot ifs flying around but all possibilities.

The one thing that the Canes have shown is that they will spend the money to sign players to contracts that on the surface seem reasonable.  dzingel, TiVo, Gardiner are a few that come to mind.  

I don’t think that TD is in the business of overpaying anyone.  So if Faulk wants over 6 million a year, there is no way they can justify paying him more than any other dman on the roster.  

The committee can’t just let him walk and lose him for nothing.  Need to get some assets back in return this time around.

Imagine if the Canes had traded Ferland at the deadline last season?  

Saw on NHL.com that Anaheim has basically announced that Ryan Kesler and Patrick Eaves are out for the 2019-20 season, and maybe for good.

https://www.nhl.com/news/ryan-kesler-patrick-eaves-to-miss-season-for-anaheim-ducks/c-309123038?tid=282066676

I wonder how their immediate need for two more forwards would impact the Ducks' negotiations for Faulk, if they indeed continue. If Kase stays healthy, he could replace some of the goals lost with Kesler and Eaves (though as older players, they're probably not first-line scorers anyway).

31 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

Saw on NHL.com that Anaheim has basically announced that Ryan Kesler and Patrick Eaves are out for the 2019-20 season, and maybe for good.

https://www.nhl.com/news/ryan-kesler-patrick-eaves-to-miss-season-for-anaheim-ducks/c-309123038?tid=282066676

I wonder how their immediate need for two more forwards would impact the Ducks' negotiations for Faulk, if they indeed continue. If Kase stays healthy, he could replace some of the goals lost with Kesler and Eaves (though as older players, they're probably not first-line scorers anyway).

They knew that was coming, it was a mere formality...and I believe they stocked the cupboard accordingly.

On 9/13/2019 at 9:09 AM, gocanes0506 said:

they don’t want to lose Faulk for nothing, different situations.

Nope. Same situation exactly: we're trying to unload a player whose services are no longer required. The rest is semantics.

Although there's one key difference: Skinner actually earned his ASG appearance. Faulk earned neither of his.

This org has tried in vain to build Justin Faulk's trade value for years, but as we've seen for the past two, no takers. Last year, he got an entire season to prove he can be what we've paid him to be on his current deal--a first-unit, NHL PP guy--but only managed to be in the first two years of said deal. If he could have returned to that form, as I've said all along, I'd forgive all his defensive lapses. But bottom line: He didn't.

At least he got the chance. Skinner, coming off of two career years, got buried on the third line for a year before he got moved. Who do you think engineered that bit of BS? I'm pretty confident his initials are RBA.

Now (actually, for the past two years) with Faulk, it's to the point that he is believing the false PR narrative the org has woven in trying to unload him. Thank goodness the org itself hasn't bought in.

If Justin Faulk is a six-million-a-year NHL Dman, I'm Bill freakin' Gates. Any team that pays him that much is deluding itself, and the fact that Roddy says good things is meaningless: It's just another brick in the PR wall. The proof is on the ice, and we've all witnessed it for too long.

When you can get everything Justin Faulk brings and more from a guy you're paying half as much (TVR), you're crazy to keep the one who managed to swindle a GM (who isn't even with the org anymore) into the deal he now enjoys. Do you sincerely believe, GC, the org picked up Gardiner this year or Hamilton last year with the intention of keeping Faulk?

If so, please--don't bogart that thing.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

Wow @top-shelf-1 when the details don’t match your narrative they are brushed aside as semantics?  Thanks for the good laugh today.

Speaking of semantics, the ASG appearances really are just semantics for why these two situations are different.  

• Like 2

I don’t see the want to add Honka. Unless he is a throw in during a Faulk deal or we really are trolling Montreal by taking all the defenders they want. Number 2 doesn’t make sense so, number 1 then.  

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

The Honka speculation is curious. I suppose with DW any thing is possible depending on other moves.

It looks like Faulk to Ducks trade has cooled off

13 minutes ago, OBXer said:

The Honka speculation is curious. I suppose with DW any thing is possible depending on other moves.

I'm late to the Honka party, and have/had not read anything, so with that preface of ignorance on it, could it possibly be that it could involve Honka for Faulk, then Honka for Kase? I mean, Dallas might not be in the 15 NTC for Faulk?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I'm late to the Honka party, and have/had not read anything, so with that preface of ignorance on it, could it possibly be that it could involve Honka for Faulk, then Honka for Kase? I mean, Dallas might not be in the 15 NTC for Faulk?

This was reposed on Canes Country. I suppose regarding Faulk for Honka your guess is as good as any

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Since Anaheim is upset that the Canes leaked the trade information, I would say you could characterize the Ducks trade as beyond cool, more like frozen.  They will probably look to deal him to a team that does not need his approval.

Edited by beboplar

16 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Since Anaheim is upset that the Canes leaked the trade information, I would say you could characterize the Ducks trade as beyond cool, more like frozen.  They will probably look to deal him to a team that does not need his approval.

That too!  It is also being said Faulk and Ducks couldn't reach an agreement on an extension.

5 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

This makes a ton of sense. It's plausible that Anaheim wanted two NHL-ready defenders and the Canes were unwilling to give of two of theirs, in favor of banking the ones they've groomed/are grooming, b/c they know them best. If so, smart smart smart. There are never enough quality defenders to go around in this league, and any rebuilding team--which in any given year is at least, what, 2 or 3?--will be in the market for one of our vets if they want too much money.

Man, NTC's have hurt this team over the years. Thanks for passing them out to anyone who asked JR. If we can do a three way trade to get around the NMC, that would be interesting. If it allowed us to get Kase despite the NTC, that would be great. But I'm thinking that ship might be steaming off onto the horizon. It is amazing how hard it has been to trade Faulk. 

I don't know what's up with Julius Honka (a 1st round pick), but Dallas fans feel like he has very little value.  A couple of them said a 4th round pick for him would be about right.  Maybe we got the pick of the litter in the 3rd round with his brother Anttoni?

Edited by LakeLivin

7 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

At this point I would be fine unloading him for a 3rd rnd pick if it meant keeping Fleury.

I have a feeling that since we are looking to cut some salary, whatever team we trade him to will also looking to cut a bit of salary, too.