The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

2 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

anyone who's rights were drafted from Canadian Junior leagues must be on the NHL roster or return to Juniors until they are 20. After the season they turn 20 is complete, they may join the AHL. It doenst matter if their nationality is American, Canadian, or European.  

Anyone drafted from Europe teams must have the transfer sgreement to be brought to North America.  There isnt an age restriction on them joining the AHL.  Kouk and Necas joined Charlotte 1 year after drafting.  

I was wondering about that because Didn't  Sellgren sign a contract with the checkers this year  before he could play with the team in the playoffs ? 

5 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I was wondering about that because Didn't  Sellgren sign a contract with the checkers this year  before he could play with the team in the playoffs ? 

Sellgren's SHL season was over and he signed a PTO.  Management signed him to a contract a few months ago.  He still has one year left with his Sweden team.  So, unless he makes the NHL roster therre is a clause to have him returned to the SHL.  We could pay the fee and put him in the AHL but, I dont think Sellgren is interested in that.  I would guess Sellgren will join Charlotte after the SHL season is over.

He still has 3 years on his ELC

Edited by gocanes0506

36 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

anyone who's rights were drafted from Canadian Junior leagues must be on the NHL roster or return to Juniors until they are 20. After the season they turn 20 is complete, they may join the AHL. It doenst matter if their nationality is American, Canadian, or European.  

Anyone drafted from Europe teams must have the transfer sgreement to be brought to North America.  There isnt an age restriction on them joining the AHL.  Kouk and Necas joined Charlotte 1 year after drafting.  

The signing of Suzuki is just from a standard of signing a 1st rounder.  We signed Bean and Gauthier after they were drafted.  

Okay, so is that what I'd said, just more briefly?

I would just add that Suzuki is a pretty elite upside talent, and while it's a long shot, in the right situation he could make the Canes next year. We're probably too deep for that, but if he came in and looked great...it could happen. 

3 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Um correct me if  im wrong but  is it not allowed for 18 years olds to compete in the ahl ?  Unless  the plan is to keep  Suzuki on the canes roster  all season long .  Or did they Change the ruling for  18 year olds being allowed to compete  ?  he wont turn 19 until   next year in may . 

This is from Michael

7 hours ago

The have locked in their first-round draft choice. He's likely headed back to Barrie (OHL) this season, but the team is excited about his future.

NHL channel on XM today was talking about the Buff situation in the Peg and asking a theoretical of Laine for Faulk + picks/prospects.

15 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

NHL channel on XM today was talking about the Buff situation in the Peg and asking a theoretical of Laine for Faulk + picks/prospects.

The Jets do seem to need RH defensemen, and not having Byfuglien there makes their D corps significantly weaker.

I'm not sure I could see Laine coming back, but how about young centerman Jack Roslovic? The only issue there is that he's not lived up to expectations there, so it wouldn't make sense to me to send Faulk+ for him. Maybe Faulk for Roslovic straight-up?

I don't know a lot about Roslovic other than he's supposed to be very fast. A lot depends on his other skills, of course.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

I don't think we will have enough cap space to sign Laine. Though Finnish line might be great

4 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

But Cff is partially correct in that those from the European or Russian leagues (anywhere I'd guess other than Canadian) can go to the AHL if not kept on the NHL roster, no matter their age?

Yes, but Suzuki isn't from those other leagues (or the NCAA). So if he's not in Raleigh, he'll be back in Barrie.

24 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

I don't think we will have enough cap space to sign Laine. Though Finnish line might be great

Though if we move Faulk and structure the contract to be high on the back end maybe?  Fun to speculate. 

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

I look at Laine  and think Skinner 2.0   from finland .   If he could play  the system that Brind'Amour wants  out of him   THEN HELL YES !   But in reality i just dont see it happening . And  isnt  The jets another one of those teams thats on faulks no go list ? 

33 minutes ago, remkin said:

Though if we move Faulk and structure the contract to be high on the back end maybe?  Fun to speculate. 

Doesn't matter how you structure it, cap hit is overall AAV, no?  And a Laine AAV is going to be a lot bigger than Aho's.

Edited by LakeLivin

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Seems right.  It matters about the league you are drafted from not nationality. Svech would have had to go back to the juniors if he didn’t make the roster last season. He is Russian but was drafted out of the Juniors.

gocanes, please go back and reread my original post on this before you get on your soapbox, and see that I never once mentioned nationality in my post. Simply Canadian, European or Russian LEAGUE. Makes no difference what nationality a player is Russian playing in Canadian League, Finn playing in Russian league or American in Canadian League, the LEAGUE is the key which governs play.

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

And a Laine AAV is going to be a lot bigger than Aho's.

I don't think that is the case.  Every time Laine does a presser, his value goes down...

So, back on Faulk. I admit that I neither went to game last pm, nor could I locate it in any medium, but a few reports I saw, and granted it is preseason, but sounds like he and Gardiner had some oops moments? Just wonder who the other team was (possibly more now) sniffing around for him? If Winnipeg with their possible vacancy created by Byfuglien, what makes anyone think that he'd accept them any more than Anaheim?

Another unrelated question, does anyone have any idea at present, when we have to start culling down players, particularly our seeming glut of defensemen, how many and whom might be subjected to waivers?I guess I'm curious because I just wonder how much work that Waddell faces?

14 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So, back on Faulk. I admit that I neither went to game last pm, nor could I locate it in any medium, but a few reports I saw, and granted it is preseason, but sounds like he and Gardiner had some oops moments? Just wonder who the other team was (possibly more now) sniffing around for him? If Winnipeg with their possible vacancy created by Byfuglien, what makes anyone think that he'd accept them any more than Anaheim?

Another unrelated question, does anyone have any idea at present, when we have to start culling down players, particularly our seeming glut of defensemen, how many and whom might be subjected to waivers?I guess I'm curious because I just wonder how much work that Waddell faces?

My reading of the CBA is that you can't avoid exposing a player to waivers by assigning him before the NHL waiver period begins, so all of Forsling, McKeown, Claesson, Fleury, etc. would be exposed if sent down. 

But if I'm wrong on that interpretation, "12 days prior to the start of the NHL season" is tomorrow, so assignments would need to be made before our next preseason game this Saturday in order to take advantage of the loophole. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

My reading of the CBA is that you can't avoid exposing a player to waivers by assigning him before the NHL waiver period begins

I'm still not sure but will watch it play out. I have been pleasantly surprised by Fluery. He looks like the Dman we project. I thought both Bean and McKeown looked like they could belong. At least they didn't look out of place. I haven't notcied  Forsling  but other have. Gardiner and Hamilton look like our go to PP quarterbacks. All this points to a move or two coming up.

I'm counting on most teams won't snag another teams player off waivers but the last few seasons more have done just that.

Last night Faulk coughed two pucks up near the net that went to the front of the net. It's the first preseason game, so I really doubt that has any bearing on his value. Gardiner looked good to me, but especially on the PP. He is brand new to this team, but really worked the puck confidently. He better get the #1 PP unit. If Faulk stays and that doesn't happen, it could be the biggest downside of Faulk being here still. The PP was one area we needed to get better, and the biggest problem IMO was no QB. We have one now.

On Laine, Lake you are right, we would need space for his AAV this year, and just moving Faulk's salary out would not make room. I think I just had the RFA contracts on the brain that are back loaded so as to give the player a much higher qualifying offer at the end of their deal since it is based on their last year's salary. As tempting as it would be to try for Laine, there is some risk with him too. Last year he scored just about all of his goals in one month, and in that month two games. The risk is not that he's not a very good goal scorer (he is and will be), but that he may not be as great as he'll be paid. Also, one wonders about him as a teammate as he publicly threw his coach and linemates under the bus with comments blaming his linemates for his lower production. It would be a bold move though. But to do it we'd need to move out more than Faulk's salary, and right now, I hate to mess with moving anyone big. 

It was preseason, and I didn't see all of the big Tampa names out there, but for a first game, I really liked a lot of what I saw last night from a lot of guys. None of the big names tallied, but mostly all of them looked good. I know Brindy was not thrilled with everything, and yes, there is another level, but I thought they looked better than he let on, considering it was their first pre-season game. 

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Last night Faulk coughed two pucks up near the net that went to the front of the net

This is what drives me nuts. We focus on Faulk's flaws but not his strengths. He took 4 shots. More than any other Dman. He had 3 blocked shots. More than any other Dman. He skated on the PK. Lord knows he has flaws and turnovers are one of them but overall he didn't have a bad night.

Slavin and Gardiner had 1 turnover each.

There are three compelling reasons to trade Faulk. He has an expiring contract, It appears we won't be able to negotiate an extension and we have 5 top 4 Dmen and two of them can replace Faulk on the PP

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

This is what drives me nuts. We focus on Faulk's flaws but not his strengths. He took 4 shots. More than any other Dman. He had 3 blocked shots. More than any other Dman. He skated on the PK. Lord knows he has flaws and turnovers are one of them but overall he didn't have a bad night.

Slavin and Gardiner had 1 turnover each.

There are three compelling reasons to trade Faulk. He has an expiring contract, It appears we won't be able to negotiate an extension and we have 5 top 4 Dmen and two of them can replace Faulk on the PP

I mentioned it was a pre-season game and it didn't really bother me that much. But those turnovers put the puck right in front of our own net. Extremely high danger turnovers. Not all turnovers are created equal, just like not all shots are. Personally, I'm not worried about him based on those two, but they did happen, and I don't recall any of the other turnovers being anywhere near as egregious as those two. If those two ended up in the net, there wouldn't have been much question whose fault it was. They didn't, it's preseason, we move on. I wasn't really keying in on Faulk, or a couple of beers in, really anyone in particular, but I don't remember him doing anything particularly great though I will give it to him for blocking 3 shots in a preseason game. Taking shots to me is a very hard to interpret stat, especially for a D man. Maybe years and years of outshooting teams from the points and far wings, but being outscored and losing has numbed me to the shots taken thing, but taking shots that go in seems the more important stat.

Again, first preseason game, so nothing about last night made me think trade Faulk. But his contract status and our depth do. 

Here's an article over at Canes Country making the case for keeping Faulk.

https://www.canescountry.com/2019/9/19/20869176/trading-justin-faulk-now-could-do-more-harm-than-good-ondrej-kase-martin-necas-carolina-hurricanes

Seems like the main argument is that the guy we get back could block out Necas or Gauthier from getting a shot, and that Faulk kills penalties. 

The main reason to trade Faulk IMO is so we don't get nothing back for him, not even Pu.

7 hours ago, remkin said:

If Faulk stays and that doesn't happen,

If Faulk stays he will see little if any PP time. Unless it's like the rest of us, from his recliner.

OBX said: 

All true. And as long as he's the seventh dman and only plays on the third pairing and sees no PP time when he dresses, by all means, let's keep him. But he can no longer take the slot of the kids we've developed specifically to get the wheel turning, the one that takes young guys, like we did him, develops them (like we did him), and they either live up to expectations to earn their payoff deal (he has not); agree that they have not met expectations and agree to a lesser deal than they might like (he will not); or we move them out and it's next cowboy up. He is refusing to be moved and refusing our offers.

I have a feeling TD is not going to pay a guy 4.8 million to sit in the press box/play on the third pairing, but if Faulk doesn't relent, that is his only choice. As a player with an NTC, Faulk can refuse waivers, and cannot be bought out, because the window for that has closed. It opened three days after the Canes arbitration case with Forsberg closed and lasted 48 hours. With no other pending arbitration cases that might close prior to the season to re-open that window, we couldn't buy him out.

If Faulk really wants to stay in Raleigh, it means, as far as I'm concerned, he's willing to delay for younger players the same chance he got at their age. That's totally permitted under the CBA, but that doesn't make it any less crappy to do.

Edited by top-shelf-1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

If Faulk stays he will see little if any PP time. Unless it's like the rest of us, from his recliner.

I think I would use Faulk on the PP just not QB.  I would try him in the Ovi spot.

My concern is that if we retain all 5 of our top defensemen, we lose one or even more young D that we will need next year. If we trade Faulk or TVR we open space for 2 of Fleury, McKeown, Forsling or Bean. I think Bean is waiver exempt one more year, but the others are not. Having said that, Waddell seems to know what he is doing, so I guess we just let it all play out. I was upset when we lost Zykov to waivers last year, and it seems pretty clear that was exactly what the team wanted.