The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

The Hurricanes have assigned forward Max McCormick to the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL).

Edmonton Journal

There continues to be some talk that the Oilers may be interested in Julien Gauthier in Carolina.

To me this has more the read of a casual conversation, Oh by the way type talk. Yet with Goat going back to Charlotte I suppose its worth mentioning.

The question on any trade is return. I do not take Gauthier's demotion as anything more than the typical up and down that prospects face until they break out. He is worth more to us than at just about any point than right after the draft. So it would have to be a really good prospect or young player to be worth it for us. Who do they have? 

They are no longer looking to trade RNH. And it would take way more than Gauthier. 

Well of course there's the old Puljujarvi thing. He does have 5 goals and 11 points in 11 games with Karpat, in Finland. I still think he skates funny, but it might be worth taking a shot at it with Aho and TT here. The upside is bigger, but so is the risk IMO. 

They have Kailer Yamamoto. High skill tiny guy. He's listed as their #2 prospect after Evan Bouchard who they would not trade and is a D man.  I doubt they'd trade Yamamoto for Gauthier, but who knows? Probably not though.

Ryan McLeod. Seems like a version of Gauthier. I'd wonder why. 

There is always this guy: https://www.nhl.com/player/skyler-brind-amour-8480291.

His Dad was pretty good. 

Looking at all of that, I guess it would have to be the Puljujarvi trade to make any sense.