The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

This thread will be unlocked after the last preseason game and replace the Off Season talk that is still active

When i was at the eye today to buy and authentic  alt  3rd jersey ,  i asked  if i could always go back to the store and  have my last name and number printed on it , they said  yes  for 85 dollars .  is that right ?   and has anyone done that before ? if so   what were the prices you guys had to pay ? 

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Goaltending

Chemistry

Special teams

my three keys to the season

I'd add passing and physicality, but I could see where the former would go under chemistry.

12 hours ago, Bonivan said:

Canes have two 3 games in 4 days series during first two weeks of October with two B2B in between. I hope guys are well conditioned 

Sounds like a great chance to put some distance between the top and the bottom right out of the gate. Let's hope we pick the right end.

Not having seen the game yesterday and hearing that it was chippy, even some criticism I've read that possibly our coaches were involved, just wondering for those who did witness, how did Edmundson and McKeown fare? Should make for a heated affair on Saturday? 

2 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Not having seen the game yesterday and hearing that it was chippy, even some criticism I've read that possibly our coaches were involved, just wondering for those who did witness, how did Edmundson and McKeown fare? Should make for a heated affair on Saturday? 

Definitely going to be a heated affair on Saturday, Martinook in the post-game scrum talked about having a rivalry and continuing it with this game and going forward. Washington definitely seemed out for blood yesterday, 34 hits, lots of rough stuff away from the puck. Tom Wilson should get an Oscar for the acting job he did on the "high sticking" from Aho. 

13 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

When i was at the eye today to buy and authentic  alt  3rd jersey ,  i asked  if i could always go back to the store and  have my last name and number printed on it , they said  yes  for 85 dollars .  is that right ?   and has anyone done that before ? if so   what were the prices you guys had to pay ? 

Maybe they charged you more for the extra spaces and misplaced punctuation.  😀

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Maybe they charged you more for the extra spaces and misplaced punctuation.  😀

Post of the day candidate.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what to make of our squad heading into opening night. We open up against a tough serious of opponents, then go west. But I think we all agree we need to win some of these games. 

Overall it's been mixed with the main players IMO, and the yutes struggled. Overall it's been decent goaltending, but still a bit unsettled. Haula has looked good, but there is an adjustment both to lots of time off and a new team. Dzingel now with the injury sort of the same. Foegele has looked ok as a 4th line type, but so far has not shown the offense I think he can bring. Aho, TT, and Svech all look completely ready for prime time to me. I think Nino will be ready to contribute, maybe a half notch lower than last year.  McGinn, so far mostly looking like a grinder. Staal hasn't played much. Gauthier had the most improved camp. His total game still has some areas of need, but the offense and his size are positives. Necas flashed some skill, but did not put together enough to say for sure what he might do. There is a big amount of talent up front, but at least so far in preseason, we are not in sync at scoring a lot of goals yet. 

The main area of concern for me, ironically is D, and it really boils down to Gardiner. If he's having back problems, that could be an issue because it is our stellar top 4 that keep us in the running even if our bottom pair works some things out. Gardiner basically allowed us to trade both Faulk and DeHaan. But if he's not in there, then we are actually down two solid top 4 guys and our bottom guys have been shakier. Sure, there are a lot of names, but with TVR out also, who is stepping into the bottom 3? Our PP also really needs Gardiner IMO. 

If it were up to me, I'd play McKeown. He is the most solid of all of them. He can move the puck and play defense. Then Edmundson. Simple game, but yesterday showed how much we need a guy of his physical stature and grit. He pushed Wilson around a couple of times. When teams want to get rough, we will be glad to have him. I'm guessing if we need one more guy we go Fleury, but I agree, he has not been as good as hoped. Unlike McKeown, he just still seems to be pressing at times, and makes hurried plays. I like to keep thinking he has upside, but it's not offensive, and he's not the physical player he hinted he'd be. Forsling has been up and down as much as Fleury. Priske already sent to Charlotte. 

We have given up a lot of odd man rushes and then not stopped them. We've also given up a lot of cross ice passes. If we can tighten that up without TVR and Gardiner, that would be key IMO. 

At least we're about to actually find out. Hopefully the key issues are worked out, and we get off to a good start. 

20 minutes ago, remkin said:

The main area of concern for me, ironically is D

I'm watching our D too. I agree until Gardiner and TVR is healthy.and back our D won't be set. After listening to Brindy it appear McKeown has made a case for himself but may still be on the cut list.  Yet with the injuries a Fluery/McKeown pair might be out best option. With the deHann and Faulk departure we have traded away one-third of last years D pairs. With the TVR injury we are skating with half of last years D force gone.

I have liked the play of Edmundson thus far. I really like Pesce game. I'm not completely sold as the Slavin/Hamilton combo. Really until they skate games together we aren't sure how good we will be. I'm not overly concerned but maybe more curious as to how this D group will mesh.

Our defense looked like do-do over the last 2 preseason games - not much to analyze there. They collectively stunk it up.  I like the addition of Edmundson, not so much with either of Fleury or McKeown.  Of the two, Fleury was easily the more effective player. 

The team better clean that D up.  I give up on the PP.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I'm watching our D too. I agree until Gardiner and TVR is healthy.and back our D won't be set. After listening to Brindy it appear McKeown has made a case for himself but may still be on the cut list.  Yet with the injuries a Fluery/McKeown pair might be out best option. With the deHann and Faulk departure we have traded away one-third of last years D pairs. With the TVR injury we are skating with half of last years D force gone.

I have liked the play of Edmundson thus far. I really like Pesce game. I'm not completely sold as the Slavin/Hamilton combo. Really until they skate games together we aren't sure how good we will be. I'm not overly concerned but maybe more curious as to hs this D group will mesh.

All teams go through injuries, and it is good that the Canes have as much depth as they have to withstand injuries to 2 of their top 6 and still leave a debate as to who should fill the vacuum.  TVR is most likely on a known schedule, so currently the big question is Gardiner.  I am not sure whether TVR's status lands him on the IL and thus he counts against one of the 5 "cuts" that need to be made prior to Thursday.  Certainly 1 goalie will be gone.  If Gardiner is day to day, then I suspect Fleury and McKeown will make it for the time being and Forsling will be cut.  For the short run I am not concerned about the D.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

No one has commented on the 2 fights I asked about?

I saw the McKeown fight. Lets just say he deserves an E for effort. His teammates apparently gave him stick taps on the bench. I wouldn't think boxing will be a fallback vocation for him. Still he stood up and I don't think you can underestimate that.

I didn't see the Edmundson tussle but will say he seem to be a no nonsense standup D man. His game seems physical. I wouldn't want to mess with him.

• Like 1

Just checking in. Thanks all for the great and in depth discussions, speculations, and up to date news through the summer everyone. I can heavily follow in season and chirp in on day to day, but finding the time to closely follow all summer with adult sports to officiate 4 nights a week and a landscaping service to run, it really is a blessing to have all you so much more knowledgeable than I to keep abreast of the weekly goings on. Was able to get down for game 3 in both of the first 2 playoff series in the spring, and look forward to doing it all again. November 1-2 is me and the lady's first scheduled trip down for the new season, so hopefully the weather holds out for some great tailgating. Look forward to seeing the ones of you I know, and since my lady didn't make any playoff games with me, she needs to see what real canes fever is beyond just hanging at the Bistro like she has several times. I have to say I have liked almost all the off season moves and the choice for the C. Lets do it all again, and maybe with a little more of a cushion above the cut line come jan/feb/march. My heart needs a break from the scrapping and scraping for every all important point for whole seasons. LOL

6 minutes ago, 2ndsacker said:

Just checking in.

Welcome back in time for the season.

18 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Bishop, Forsling and Forsberg on waivers

I think there is a reasonable chance we will lose one of this group to waivers