The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Necas is getting better. His defensive responsibility is improving every game.  Yesterday's back check prevented a goal.  We'll see him get more and more comfortable.  He is getting around 13 minutes a game and hopefully it get to 15 as we go.  

He'll probably be a minus rated player this season because PP time will be about 30% of his usage.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

Cory Pronman of the Athletic ranks Necas as the #5 rookie in the NHL so far.

Just curious rem, are you his agent, haha just joking. I will give it to you though, I've not seen you this stubbornly positive since you clung to your island along with several of us equally stubborn fans back in the day? Bravo

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Just curious rem, are you his agent, haha just joking. I will give it to you though, I've not seen you this stubbornly positive since you clung to your island along with several of us equally stubborn fans back in the day? Bravo

Speaking of the Island. It's thriving now!

And of Necas. If he hits his potential, then Aho, TT, Svech and Necas could all be pretty elite (Aho and TT already are, and Svech is knocking at that door).

20 minutes ago, remkin said:

Speaking of the Island. It's thriving now!

And of Necas. If he hits his potential, then Aho, TT, Svech and Necas could all be pretty elite (Aho and TT already are, and Svech is knocking at that door).

I also have a special place in my heart for El Nino in this grouping rem.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Necas is getting a lot of blame  for stuff that's not really his fault .  if anyone needs to be blamed it's   just the team chemistry is  not  in full season mode  but it's getting there .  

Fleury  has nearly been out there on every goal that went against the canes .    I like him in his offense that he can bring  but 1 little slapper is not enough .   

Ummm...I haven't been reading blame here.  Everybody sounds very positive to me.

Fox watch 2 games down - 28 to go!

I can't ever remember a time when the Canes were so deep at the NHL level, AHL level, Jr  / draft pick level...this could be an epic run! I really want to thank Francis for setting this up...yes I was upset that he wouldn't pull the trigger to improve the team at his final trade deadline...But there is no way that the Canes are in this position without his insight into rebuilding this team, & organization!

Thankfully, Waddell & the committee has continued this and added in a little more in FA & risk taking knowing that the young core is strong!

The present & Future look so bright!!!

Edited by rocheccw
  • Like 3

Big stats Dom L has us at 104 points and a 93% chance at the playoffs based on the start.  That is good for 4th in the league behind..........all three Atlantic division big guns.

51 minutes ago, rocheccw said:

Fox watch 2 games down - 28 to go!

I can't ever remember a time when the Canes were so deep at the NHL level, AHL level, Jr  / draft pick level...this could be an epic run! I really want to think Francis for setting this up...yes I was upset that he wouldn't pull the trigger to improve the team at his final trade deadline...But there is no way that the Canes are in this position without his insight into rebuilding this team, & organization!

Thankfully, Waddell & the committee has continued this and added in a little more in FA & risk taking knowing that the young core is strong!

The present & Future look so bright!!!

Absolutely. You look at a team like Pittsburgh and a couple of others that have been trading their draft picks away in bunches. If they drop it's going to take a good while to get back up. But not only is the core of this team on NHL ice very young, not only is the system incredibly deep, but assuming that Fox hits 30 games, which barring injury seems pretty likely we will have two picks in each of the first rounds in next year's deep draft.

And if that's not enough, UFA's and other players are starting to want to come here.

😎

• Like 1

The better start these past two years shows that having at lleast

some home games in October do make a difference. I also really like that the playoff run seems to have carried over to an improved our mental game. 

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Big stats Dom L has us at 104 points and a 93% chance at the playoffs based on the start.  That is good for 4th in the league behind..........all three Atlantic division big guns.

Yeah gotta love stats.  Margin of error with 4 out of 82 played has to be huuuuge. I dont pay em no mind.

15 minutes ago, caneswincup said:

I also really like that the playoff run seems to have carried over to an improved our mental game. 

Very valid point.  The experienced gained cannot be gotten any other way.  Confidence, overcoming adversity,  team approach. Goes for the fans too by the way.  We had gone so long without playoffs and winning many could not appreciate what it felt like.  Now there is a hunger for more.  Time to eat.

• Like 2

Signed up for the NHL TV streaming options. Will get to finally watch them live when they take on CBJ this weekend. Pumped to see them in action again. The highlights and twitter updates have been fun so far. Seems like the new guys are coming onboard nicely. And we're scoring on the PP? I'll take it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cc said:

Very valid point.  The experienced gained cannot be gotten any other way.  Confidence, overcoming adversity,  team approach. Goes for the fans too by the way.  We had gone so long without playoffs and winning many could not appreciate what it felt like.  Now there is a hunger for more.  Time to eat.

I offer this two cents along these lines, and a twofold premise along with it. Have to prelude by harkening back to mid last season, and the commentary submitted by some that why should a team struggle and push for playoffs(and no early draft pick) only to get bounced in the first round by superior teams. Firstly that's NEVER the given naysayers would like you to believe. I think what we're seeing is almost a direct reflection of having made that push for the extended period, then not only getting in, but pushing through a 7 game series and beating a team that had basically owned us through the whole tenure of our young core. Then sweeping a team that had hovered around the division lead all year. It was exactly what a young core of borderline up and coming top tier performers needed to get over that hump, and find their sense of belonging, not just in potential(as all carry the label of) but in performance. The twofold for me goes something like this. Then after a run to relevance, through the summer they see their brass making moves of improvement, and not just with roster filling players, but players who have been impactful in their previous situations, ie, a top 4 Dman on a playoff team, 2 40-50 point wingers on a playoff team(though coming off injury season), a D man who just won the cup, a goalie who managed a winning record in Fla for 3 years, and to take that sentiment even further, I say that kind of thinking began with the signing of El Nino. That management type commitment doesn't go unnoticed by players on vacation, and having played against them all they have a pretty good grasp of just what kind of players they are getting to fit into Roddy's system and after having the run, all of a sudden these experienced, belonging young guys are looking around at each other and chances are conversing on the very subject and beginning to think, "dang fellows, WE can make some serious noise in this league" I just think it's the natural progression and coming of age of some great drafting over two administrations, the example of HCRB's career and excellent communication and teaching style as HC, and a few well seasoned and work ethic oriented veterans exerting influence and calm of what it's like and what it takes to be good at this level. Then there's surfer dude Dougie, finding a home and just doing his odd thing. LOL. I have to think the sky is the limit, yet a long way and lot of work til it gets consistently star studded and truly 'wow' factor. Yet it is possible. I'll take that every day that ends in Y.

Edited by 2ndsacker
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Goat is back. Didn't take long to get a shot. 2 goals in 2 games with the chex.

Wanna bet Foegele sits a game or two?

Is anyone dinged up? Not sure anyone deserves to come out of the lineup. But then historically we have had a healthy extra and really need one (or two) before the West Coast trip. We do have a back to back. Interesting to see if he gets right in. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, remkin said:

Is anyone dinged up? Not sure anyone deserves to come out of the lineup. But then historically we have had a healthy extra and really need one (or two) before the West Coast trip. We do have a back to back. Interesting to see if he gets right in. 

Wallmark left after the double penalty but returned.

Marty got laid out late in the game.

Just to continue the positives. Fleury had his best game last game. Necas is feeling it, and even Goat might get some ice. If we can finally get Fleury to the point where the coach trusts him enough and he starts getting some confidence, he can make plays. 

16 hours ago, remkin said:

Yep, Marty to have surgery on "core abdominal muscle" and out 6-8weeks, per NHL report.

3 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Yep, Marty to have surgery on "core abdominal muscle" and out 6-8weeks, per NHL report.

Ouch. There it is. Well good to get a good look at Gauthier. Wonder if we get a McKeown and maybe Bishop for the West Coast trip.

1 minute ago, remkin said:

Ouch. There it is. Well good to get a good look at Gauthier. Wonder if we get a McKeown and maybe Bishop for the West Coast trip.

I know, right. Just told wife who read the report to me, that I don't feel so bad now with my little abdominal pain related to shingles. May miss game tomorrow night due to it?

man , a injury that will take martinook out of the lineup  for 2 months ?   That sucks  .  I was thinking he might of re aggravated his leg injury he had from the playoffs . good to see it's not that but also not good to see it's something serious .