The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

27 minutes ago, remkin said:

Wonder if we get a McKeown and maybe Bishop for the West Coast trip

My guess is no. TVR is skating in full contact drills. The guess is he will be back for the west coast trip

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

man , a injury that will take martinook out of the lineup  for 2 months ?   That sucks  .  I was thinking he might of re aggravated his leg injury he had from the playoffs . good to see it's not that but also not good to see it's something serious .   

I remember in the early '80s, the "franchise" (have to be careful with you non-Whaler fans) drafted Sylvain Turgeon with the 2nd pick of the entire draft.  Early in his career he had an abdominal injury.  We were all thinking that was a minor event, but he was out for what seemed the better part of a whole season, and never lived up to the expectations that the team and fans had put on him.

I wonder whom the 2nd 'A' on the team will be worn by now until Marty returns or will Brindamour not worry about that this early in the season? I know when Staal was gone for a length of time last year Slavin wore the other 'A'.

9 minutes ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

I wonder whom the 2nd 'A' on the team will be worn by now until Marty returns or will Brindamour not worry about that this early in the season? I know when Staal was gone for a length of time last year Slavin wore the other 'A'.

Pesce deserves it.  Been here longer than Aho or TT.

15 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I may be Pesce's biggest fan and he deserves it, but I'd rather see Nino have it. Something tells me Brett is happy with exactly how things are, and based on its performance, the broader D surely is too, where I think a little added responsibility might nudge Nino to start showing younger guys on the front lines how it's done, and Aho in particular the importance of patience. Nino is a streaky scorer, so he knows a thing or two about it. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

17 minutes ago, beboplar said:

No one deserves anything based on tenure.  My humble opinion.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cc said:

Agree with CC, doing anything based on tenure isnt a good method.

I don’t know what goes in the locker room but, Pesce is a solid professional on the ice and highly underrated. That isn’t typically A criteria but, I wouldn’t be upset if he was chosen because of it.

TBH Edmundson has shown strong sacrificial play that is A worthy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

Dougie has too

True. His bag tagging, finger wagging, and other shenanigans are the ultimate “jerk” move for an A. Not A material in my book but I am not writing their book.

17 minutes ago, cc said:

I disagree. Tenure should not be a major criteria for such a decision, but it does have its value in the decision. A guy that has been doing it the right way for the org longer has earned more value IMO, than the new guy that does everything exactly the same way.

Marty is hard working depth forward so my guess is the A will go to another hard working depth forward. I think McGinn gets it.

Hmmmm. McGinn is an off the board pick. He is a character guy, so maybe...

It is interesting though because now we will definitely name one since it's going to be prolonged. We could rotate it around. Is it just tradition, or does it almost have to be a forward? If we don't go Aho, that might be a bit of a swipe at him at this point....Nino would be an interesting choice. If we went with two D, Pesce, maybe even Dougy. 

Is the Aho offer sheet factoring in? 

I'm going to go Aho, but I feel like this could be any number of guys.

53 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

I disagree. Tenure should not be a major criteria for such a decision, but it does have its value in the decision. A guy that has been doing it the right way for the org longer has earned more value IMO, than the new guy that does everything exactly the same way.

I said "based on tenure"  .  The original post did not indicate any other qualification.  Sorry for any confusion.  I would place it at the bottom of the criteria.  But I am old school...........very.  I mean you could bring In A "Joe Thornton" and he could be captain immediately.  No tenure at all.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Just when I had decided on a Marty Jersey this weekend.  6-8 weeks is long when like me you consider blue collar workers the nuts and bolts on a club. Step up Goat. Show em why you belong up here.

• Like 3

Another factor that only the team knows is the whether the player himself wants the C or A. It doesn't suit everyone's personality. I don't think I would want it, if I was a player.

It's times like these  you wish Williams  would step up and say hey , i know Marty is out  for a while but im willing to come back  and help the team  until he comes back and  who knows if i will stay or not .   Just saying . 

If RB does assign a temporary A, I'm fine with any decision. Not worthy for any scrutiny IMO. Nino/ Dougie would be fine. If you want to be a real bunch of jerks and break tradition, assign it to Petr and just don't place the A on his sweater. Again, I'm fine with whatever RB does. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Back to the quoting issue again. I quoted that by didn't say it. Tech! Woooooohoooooooo! 

Tech has been notified. The problem arises when someone quotes a quote in your post you quoted. The software recognizes your screen name because it is your post.To get the correct atribution it needs to be quoted from the original post.

I'm not sure there is a solution at this time. One workaround is to highlight the text and copy and paste the quote without attribution.

From Sportsnet:

"In which we use the trends of hockey's first seven days to wildly and confidently extrapolate season-long conclusion: A resurgent James Reimer registers a sparkling 41-0-0 record with a .940 save percentage, cementing himself as the greatest backup goalie to ever walk the earth."

• Like 1