The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

3 hours ago

After practice head coach Rod Brind'Amour said that the will miss Martinook's ability of how he rallies the team together. Also said he hasn't given any thought yet to handing out another 'A' in Martinook's absence .

• Like 1

Rod was by all accounts the consummate captain and leader. I’m sure whatever decision he makes on giving someone the A, and to whom to give it will be the right one. As far as tenure goes, J. Staal was given an A his first game with the team. Through all the coaches, he has had at least an A. I don’t think that will be a factor. Lots of deserving candidates, but I’m hoping for Aho, just to let him know the offer sheet is behind us, and to show confidence in him despite the slow start. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

It's times like these  you wish Williams  would step up and say hey , i know Marty is out  for a while but im willing to come back  and help the team  until he comes back and  who knows if i will stay or not .   Just saying . 

Let's not and say we did.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Well if Forsberg makes the show he's sporting.....Stormy with rabies?

FB_IMG_1570747495073.jpg

Better than Caroline with PMS ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Rod was by all accounts the consummate captain and leader. I’m sure whatever decision he makes on giving someone the A, and to whom to give it will be the right one. As far as tenure goes, J. Staal was given an A his first game with the team. Through all the coaches, he has had at least an A. I don’t think that will be a factor. Lots of deserving candidates, but I’m hoping for Aho, just to let him know the offer sheet is behind us, and to show confidence in him despite the slow start. 

I know I asked the question but I wouldn't mind it being Aho.  I've heard a lot of talk that he may very well be this teams future captain.  Why not give him the 'practice' and put an 'A' on his jersey. 

Martinook will be missed but I'm sure the team will do fine without him.  We still have our Captain and one of our alternates (in Staal and Slavin) and when we lost Staal for almost half the season (Martinook won't be out that long), we did fine because we had our captain Williams still in the lineup and the team overall continued to play well.  I don't know what goes on in the locker room but besides Marty I'm sure there are other players whom rally the boys together.

Injuries are a part of the game.  Time to see if we can overcome this one, which I think we will.  Not taking anything away from Martinook but he's not an Aho, Teuvo or Staal or Svech, whom are some of our scorers and best players.  We lose one or more of them for significant periods I think the outcome will be different. 

Also, time to see how deep we are.  Be nice if Gauthier plays well in Martinooks absense.  I've never watched Gauthier play so I know nothing about him, all I know is that he scored a lot of goals last year so he's obviously a goal scorer and he's got 2 goals in 2 games this season in the AHL.  I know he had a great training camp and would've made the roster if not for issues with the cap space for the team.

I will expect Martinook will be back by Thanksgiving, or knowing how tough he is maybe even before the 6 week time frame.  It also makes me wonder when he aggravated it?  This is the same muscle he had surgery on during the offseason.  Did he aggravate it during the game or when he was sleeping at home?  Just makes you wonder.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

6 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Back to the quoting issue again. I quoted that by didn't say it. Tech! Woooooohoooooooo! 

I said it but I did not quote it.

I don't think Pesce would campaign for it, but he is a solid citizen, always leads the plus/minus parade, plays on a different D line than Slavin (except for penalty kill) and I would think is well respected.

• Like 2

Aho needs a good deal more maturing before he gets consideration to wear a letter. There are more seasoned veterans on the roster than Aho who would be a better fit wearing it. Let Aho build on his game without distraction. 

• Like 3

I was listening to XM yesterday, and they mentioned a promising player from a few years ago who had his career derailed by this injury.  Sorry I can't remember who!

This core injury, or sports hernia, is different for every player.  I am concerned that this is apparently a re-do.  This has potential to be longer than 8 weeks if so.

Here's a little article about some other players who had it.  Some players bounce right back, others (Giroux in particular) took a whole season to feel right.

https://apnews.com/6726bc700691481ca4673b8d0ecb1cab

43 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

I was listening to XM yesterday, and they mentioned a promising player from a few years ago who had his career derailed by this injury.  Sorry I can't remember who!

This core injury, or sports hernia, is different for every player.  I am concerned that this is apparently a re-do.  This has potential to be longer than 8 weeks if so.

Here's a little article about some other players who had it.  Some players bounce right back, others (Giroux in particular) took a whole season to feel right.

Good article.  I hope Martinook bounces back without any complications.  I still think this team will do fine without him.  Time for Gauthier to show what he can do at the NHL level.  Not taking anything away from Martinook but at least he plays on the 4th line so he's not one of our top tier players.  Yes, like I mentioned earlier he does rally the team in the locker room but I'm sure Brindy will find someone else to fill Marty's void.  None of us fans know what goes on in the locker room between periods or during practices.  There's bound to be other players whom rally the team.  I guess we'll find out soon, maybe tonight or during the road trip. I don't know how long after Staal went down last season that Brindamour gave Slavin the other 'A' until Staal returned.

53 minutes ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

Good article.  I hope Martinook bounces back without any complications.  I still think this team will do fine without him.  Time for Gauthier to show what he can do at the NHL level.  Not taking anything away from Martinook but at least he plays on the 4th line so he's not one of our top tier players.  Yes, like I mentioned earlier he does rally the team in the locker room but I'm sure Brindy will find someone else to fill Marty's void.  None of us fans know what goes on in the locker room between periods or during practices.  There's bound to be other players whom rally the team.  I guess we'll find out soon, maybe tonight or during the road trip. I don't know how long after Staal went down last season that Brindamour gave Slavin the other 'A' until Staal returned.

I was very impressed with Gauthier's performance during the preseason. He definitely deserves a shot and I think once the butterflies are gone, second or third shift, we will see good things from him. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Goalieman_nc said:

Great article! 

Absolute must read!!!  And the photos are classic.

3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

As I referenced previously, back in the early '80's, the Whalers drafted Sylvain Turgeon, a left winger, with the #2 overall pick in the draft.  Sound familiar.  His career never went as expected after he incurred a lengthly abdominal injury.  Think Andrei Svechnikov basically getting injured about now and having a mediocre career.

50 minutes ago, beboplar said:

As I referenced previously, back in the early '80's, the Whalers drafted Sylvain Turgeon, a left winger, with the #2 overall pick in the draft.  Sound familiar.  His career never went as expected after he incurred a lengthly abdominal injury.  Think Andrei Svechnikov basically getting injured about now and having a mediocre career.

That may have even been who they spoke of.  Can't recall.

We have one thing going for us.  Medical advancement.  Sports docs have advanced techniques.  They've learned more about core injury repair.  It does give me some pause to think they can't even agree on what to call it, though.  (A lot of docs hate "Sports Hernia."  Probably the same guys who don't like heart attack and have to refer to it by M.I. or some electrical disturbance thing nobody can pronounce.)

I can say that the probable reason for disliking the term sports hernia is because it's usually not a hernia at all. It's a sprain or tear of muscle tendon or ligament in the lower abdomen or groin.  A true hernia is a structural opening in the supporting structures (such as the abdominal wall) that fat or organs can extrude through. The first time I heard the term sports hernia, I was pretty confused by it, since it didn't sound like a hernia, and as it turns out typically isn't one, despite the name.

It is vaguely similar, since there are hernias of the abdominal wall, and there are "sports hernias" of the abdominal muscles, but an opening through which fat or organs can protrude is typically not present in the "sports hernia". 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, remkin said:

I can say that the probable reason for disliking the term sports hernia is because it's usually not a hernia at all.

Right, and some heart attacks are not infarctions.

I agree that the "hernia" term is a dumb down for the masses.  I find it confusing.  This term popped up fairly recently and is pretty bogus.  Glad the team is using the "core" term. At least "heart attack" gives an overall general term for various conditions causing critical issues with the heart.  Overloading the "hernia" term on something not a hernia is bogus.  I'm not a doctor, but as an engineer, this kind of dumb-down thing would get on my nerves in my field too.  For a while, everything was a "microchip".  What the hell is a microchip anyway, says an engineer.