Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Recommended Posts

Just a little fun tabulation of how long it took the Canes to reach 10 points over the years under the new no-tie rules:

 

 

canestarts.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're 5-0 so I'm not criticizing anything, but I would love to see a Svech / Aho / Necas line.  Svech the sniper, Necas the playmaker, and Aho the all around.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

We're 5-0 so I'm not criticizing anything, but I would love to see a Svech / Aho / Necas line.  Svech the sniper, Necas the playmaker, and Aho the all around.  

 

Necas is not a top line player.  Would be a disaster IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As TB well proved last season, There is another level really good teams can play at(skate, defend, opportunistic), and if they can get there for 50-55 minutes a night, there's not a whole heck of a lot much of anyone is gonna be able to do about it. Sure it's early and only 5 games and longer in game letdowns are sure to come, but this group may be doing itself a disservice by wiping the 3rd period ice with people as they have done. People will be screaming when they just play good solid, average hockey. HA. All i know is, it isn't just winning, but it's periods of COMPLETE shut down D, periods of quality chance after quality chance after quality chance, ringing posts, shin tap goaltending, and relentless speed and pressure spread out over 60 minutes. As with any good team, it still has to somewhat level off at some point. DON"T IT?????:twilight-zone:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say enjoy the start. Yes it will level off some. Of course. But it is sooooo much better to get into the top 3 in the metro and stay there, than to have to fight to get in. 

 

Another by product of a very good start should be attendance. Building off of last year, and keeping it rolling will keep interest much higher than a drop off and late charge. In my experience, attendance at the start of another so-so year is bad and only as the team proves itself, builds into January. But this team, with higher STH sales and now a league attention-getting start, can build attendance very quickly. And not by going 20-0, but just by being a very good team from the start. 

 

This team will have downs, duh. But enjoy this part of the ride, because not only is it amazing, but don't fret, because this team is for real. It may come down to Earth a bit, but it is just plain good, and it will remain in a playoff spot all year. That's right I said it. This team will be good all year. So relax, and enjoy the ride!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Just a little fun tabulation of how long it took the Canes to reach 10 points over the years under the new no-tie rules:

 

 

canestarts.JPG

Very cool stat Xray. Based on this, the cup is ours. I keed, I keed. But it does point out that while fast starts can fizzle, they are better than a kick in the cods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, remkin said:

Very cool stat Xray. Based on this, the cup is ours. I keed, I keed. But it does point out that while fast starts can fizzle, they are better than a kick in the cods.

Yep.  I added the final point total to the chart.  For the Canes at least, if they are not at least NHL 0.500 at the ten game total, they are toast.  Last year the team took 9 games to reach 10 pts, so they were ahead, and it still was a struggle.

 

So, yeah, nothing wrong with good starts.  But then there is 2007-08...

 

canesstart10games.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, remkin said:

I say enjoy the start. Yes it will level off some. Of course. But it is sooooo much better to get into the top 3 in the metro and stay there, than to have to fight to get in. 

 

Another by product of a very good start should be attendance. Building off of last year, and keeping it rolling will keep interest much higher than a drop off and late charge. In my experience, attendance at the start of another so-so year is bad and only as the team proves itself, builds into January. But this team, with higher STH sales and now a league attention-getting start, can build attendance very quickly. And not by going 20-0, but just by being a very good team from the start. 

 

This team will have downs, duh. But enjoy this part of the ride, because not only is it amazing, but don't fret, because this team is for real. It may come down to Earth a bit, but it is just plain good, and it will remain in a playoff spot all year. That's right I said it. This team will be good all year. So relax, and enjoy the ride!

The 5-0 start is only relevant if it promotes good work habits and provides positive reinforcement for playing the system the coaching staff is designing.  The start will surely put a bullseye on the Canes' sweaters, and all comers will be looking to take them down now.  Hopefully that does not lead to any unnecessary injuries, but don't be surprised if it does.  

We all saw what having a stupendous regular season W-L record did for Tampa in the playoffs last season, so I put more stock into building chemistry for later on than chalking up points.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

 

You're very entertaining. 

 

Ok so let's put a guy who is learning the ropes on our top line and give him 1st line defensive responsibilities along with Aho.  What could go wrong?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beboplar said:

We all saw what having a stupendous regular season W-L record did for Tampa in the playoffs last season, so I put more stock into building chemistry for later on than chalking up points.

San Jose also comes to mind for mind blowing seasons resulting in playoff bow outs.

 

Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet.  The season is nowhere near stupendous.  And remember, the Canes had 112 points in the Cup year.  They actually faded pretty badly at the end of the season which may have been a gift of sorts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

We're 5-0 so I'm not criticizing anything, but I would love to see a Svech / Aho / Necas line.  Svech the sniper, Necas the playmaker, and Aho the all around.  

It was rare spurts where Rod let Svech into the top 6 last year even with his pedigree, I don't see Necas getting those minutes without some other reason forcing Brindy to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, legend-1 said:

It was rare spurts where Rod let Svech into the top 6 last year even with his pedigree, I don't see Necas getting those minutes without some other reason forcing Brindy to do it.

 

I'm not suggesting now, or even this year. I'm saying that seems like the making of a great line!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

 

I'm not suggesting now, or even this year. I'm saying that seems like the making of a great line!

I agree with that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Gauthier sent down 

Is there another Chex game before the LA game on Tuesday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Is there another Chex game before the LA game on Tuesday?

 

I was disappointed in his game.  He didn't show much except for 1 good hit.  I'm also questioning what exactly McGinn brings to the 2nd line.  Maybe it's the 3rd line.  I'm not sure.

Edited by bluedevil58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to split Aho and Nino up. With the exception of TT the line is not earning their minutes given what their roles are; scoring. 12 games between them and one empty netter and 3 assists. Brutal. You see them on the bench hanging their heads, banging their sticks etc. Both get PP minutes and regular even strength minutes and nothing. They’re also hurting TTs production. Their lack of production has cost the team it’s first loss. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

 

I wonder who's going west?

I would like to see Geekie get a shot but I doubt it.  Might go 7 defenders with Hamilton being the 12th forward of sorts.  Could bring Bishop as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gocanes0506 said:

I would like to see Geekie get a shot but I doubt it.  Might go 7 defenders with Hamilton being the 12th forward of sorts.  Could bring Bishop as well.

 

 

Full agreement with this post.  7 defenders wouldn't surprise me either with TVR being activated, and if they do call someone else up, Geekie and Bishop are the obvious choices IMO.  I missed both the Friday and Saturday Canes games, though, so i can't really speak for Gauthier's Canes outings.  We pretty much know what Bishop brings to the Canes, while i'd love to see Geekie get a shot.  Kid has the energy and the shot, for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...