The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

This could be an accounting cap thing I suppose. We could bring the Goat back for the trip. If not  What about "The Geek" he is a right shot?

4 hours ago, OBXer said:

This could be an accounting cap thing I suppose. We could bring the Goat back for the trip. If not  What about "The Geek" he is a right shot?

It seems like some of the talent  in the checkers  need  some more time  to develop .   How much  time in unknown  but rushing them to the nhl right away could  hamper  their development  and you end up with  Foegele's and McGinns of the world.  

It cost us 4625 a day in cap to have Julien here.  Is the 9250 really going to help us get a better player at the deadline?

if its cap related, why don’t we see more teams send waiver exempt folks down regularly to save cap for later?  Why not send Necas down too?

Rank speculation: It could be that we want to yo-yo Goat a bit between AHL/NHL. He is really not a 4th liner, but Bishop is. Bishop could inject that NHL 4th line compete. Goat sort of needs top 9 minutes, but the opening is 4th line since that's where Martinook was playing. So get him some NHL time, but then back to get top line minutes in Charlotte. Give him a taste of NHL and a few things to go work on in Charlotte. Then back up to see how he's doing, etc.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Gibbons called up

I'm a little surprised. He does have NHL games, but did not look great in pre-season. Maybe it was just the games he drew into. I would have thought Bishop.

Small sample size but he looked good in Charlotte last night.  May bring some chippiness as well.  Wouldn't have been my first choice but i'm not shaking my head over it either.

Maybe it's time to switch Svech and Nino. Might take both Svech and Turbo to elevate Aho's game, cause it sure needs elevatin' . . . .. 😬

Edited by spyglass88

9 hours ago, spyglass88 said:

Maybe it's time to switch Svech and Nino. Might take both Svech and Turbo to elevate Aho's game, cause it sure needs elevatin' . . . .. 😬

I'm all for trying that.  Just do not mess with the Dzingel-Haula-Necas line.  That line has great chemistry.  It's like the only line we have that's rolling consistently right now.

Our fourth line isn't doing too bad either when they're on the ice.  Also, maybe switch McGinn and Foegele.  If I recall Foegele did quite well on the top two lines for a while last season before he was bumped down.  I just don't think McGinn is a top line player.  He's more a 3rd/4th line guy IMO.  Maybe a Svech-Staal-Foegele line or a Nino-Staal-Foegele line (if Nino and Svech are moved to get Aho going) would get certain players like Svech, Nino and Aho going. They may just need the right linemates.  Although Nino and Svech seem to be snapping out of their funk Aho has only 1 point.  That is worrisome to me.  Yet we're still 5-1.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2
  • Like 1

I'm seeing a lot of concern for Aho's slow start here and elsewhere but in his 4th season in the league he's had what, one season where he didn't start off slow?  I don't think it's time to schedule an intervention just yet.  He'll warm up.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I'm seeing a lot of concern for Aho's slow start here and elsewhere but in his 4th season in the league he's had what, one season where he didn't start off slow?  I don't think it's time to schedule an intervention just yet.  He'll warm up.

I do agree with you it's just hard to believe a player of his caliber only has 1 point in 6 games.  With his other slow starts I don't recall him being this bad, but I could be wrong.  I'd rather him start the season off slow than finish the season slow IMO.

I remember last year during the playoffs in the first round many of the fans thought he was injured because he wasn't performing.  I disagreed and said no, he's just in a slump like many players get into.  After the Washington series he did play better throughout the playoffs.  Had 12 points (5g, 7a) in 15 games.  Not great but not too bad either considering it was his first ever time playing in the post season.

It would be nice for him to rack up a few assists during this road trip to sorta get him in the groove though.  At least Svech has 7 assists so he's definitely contributing on offense despite only having 1 goal.  I wouldn't be too concerned for Aho if he was performing like Svech has been.  However, what I do know is the goals will come and they'll likely come in bunches whenever he gets hot.

• Like 1

He has 1pt in 6 games......and it's an ENG. He got USED like a rented mule, on the one Columbus goal. It's been a terrible start for the young man. Aho has to realize there is no flying under the radar anymore. Teams are going to match up against him to hold him down. Time to put the big boy pants and hard hat on, and go to work. The other lines are playing well, so I suspect RB will leave them alone, and let these guys sort it out. I personally think he needs some snarl in his game. I know he is a "gentle personality" by nature, or at least it seems when he has been interviewed, but the guy has to get angry, just like Patches O'Houlihan once said.. I want to see more intensity out of him. Where is that third gear from last year where he just blew by people?  

Edited by sleekfeeder
  • Like 7

17 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Gibbons called up

Could have been Gibbons, McCormick, or Bishop.  They are all in the same boat.  Plus, they could choose to play 7 D men.

1 hour ago, sleekfeeder said:

He has 1pt in 6 games......and it's an ENG. He got USED like a rented mule, on the one Columbus goal. It's been a terrible start for the young man. Aho has to realize there is no flying under the radar anymore. Teams are going to match up against him to hold him down. Time to put the big boy pants and hard hat on, and go to work. The other lines are playing well, so I suspect RB will leave them alone, and let these guys sort it out. I personally think he needs some snarl in his game. I know he is a "gentle personality" by nature, or at least it seems when he has been interviewed, but the guy has to get angry, just like Patches O'Houlihan once said.. I want to see more intensity out of him. Where is that third gear from last year where he just blew by people?  

Maybe get in a fight.😉 You never know, a fight may be the spark he needs to get on a roll.  I know it sounds bizarre but it may take something bizarre to shake the hex he's in right now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

Maybe get in a fight.😉 You never know, a fight may be the spark he needs to get on a roll.  I know it sounds bizarre but it may take something bizarre to shake the hex he's in right now.

Just don’t fight someone who outweighs you by 40 pounds and get knocked out like Svech.

13 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Aho will be fine. On his worst day he's already way better than any Checker called up between 2007 and 2016. He'll figure it out.

image.thumb.png.3df447ca5e0b1a8e672d5d95beaebcb2.png

Edited by cc
  • Like 2

On 10/13/2019 at 4:32 PM, remkin said:

Rank speculation: It could be that we want to yo-yo Goat a bit between AHL/NHL. He is really not a 4th liner, but Bishop is. Bishop could inject that NHL 4th line compete. Goat sort of needs top 9 minutes, but the opening is 4th line since that's where Martinook was playing. So get him some NHL time, but then back to get top line minutes in Charlotte. Give him a taste of NHL and a few things to go work on in Charlotte. Then back up to see how he's doing, etc.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/video/gauthier-goes-high-with-snapper/t-277437094/c-52895103

Goat appreciation post: Just stumbled upon this while perusing CanesVision. Ok it's just one highlight reel goal, but the GOAT is a weapon (and this was 2 years ago). I guess knowing that I agree he should stay warm, get in rhythm and all that good stuff in the AHL. But he's 22 now and needs to see the big stage. He had his flashes in the preseason this year. The thought of him practicing with the Canes every day and building chemistry with the likes of Aho and Turbo is tantalizing even if it means limited minutes. And it's not like he lacks in 4th line grinder mentality. If one of our bottom six like Necas, Foegele or Wallmark start to slip (looking at you Foegele) or get hurt I bet we see the Goat start climbing the food chain this season. 

46 minutes ago, thickburglar said:

Goat start climbing the food chain this season. 

That would be progressing to eating meat for a goat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thickburglar said:

But he's 22 now and needs to see the big stage. He had his flashes in the preseason this year. 

He had more than flashes. He was the best player in camp, vets included. Necas should be in Charlotte, not Gaut.

6 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Necas should be in Charlotte, not Gaut.

Not from what I just saw tonight vs the Kings