The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Necas is getting better. Oddly, I feel that he is getting the better of the 3 young forward opportunities.  Necas gets PP2 time, plays a good amount of minutes, and on the best offensive line. Svech gets minutes, on PP1, and is handicapped with Staal(no offense) and McGinn.  Gauthier got scant minutes and on a line with Wallmark and Foegele.  

Gauthier didnt look like preseason Gauthier but, he wasn’t given a lot of opportunities to shine. Ron slow plays rookies though.  That is another discussion.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I dunno Top, you have a good argument about camp I guess, but at the NHL level in real games, not so much.   

Because two games is a sufficient sample.  

All I'm saying is that camp is either about earning your shot or it's not. You can't say one thing, do another, and expect guys to keep believing you.

Edited by top-shelf-1

40 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

C'mon AWAC. I could have scored that goal. From my couch.

It wasn’t just the goal...he had a solid all around game

Wow! these are rich team problems...both Necas & Goat are at the beginnings of their NHL level career, & we're arguing over which one...soon it will be both and right now it's just a numbers vs losing a players on waivers vs salary cap thing. BOTH made the team...BOTH deserve to be at the NHL level...Both will be in our top 9 soon. These are good problems to have. You could argue the same thing on defense...or even in goal. The Canes are the deepest they have ever been in quality talent on every level. This could be really special, & I for one am just going to sit back & enjoy it!:popcorn:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, rocheccw said:

Wow! these are rich team problems...both Necas & Goat are at the beginnings of their NHL level career, & we're arguing over which one...soon it will be both and right now it's just a numbers vs losing a players on waivers vs salary cap thing. BOTH made the team...BOTH deserve to be at the NHL level...Both will be in our top 9 soon. These are good problems to have. You could argue the same thing on defense...or even in goal. The Canes are the deepest they have ever been in quality talent on every level. This could be really special, & I for one am just going to sit back & enjoy it!:popcorn:

It is a very nice problem to have.  We are going to have another slug of young players coming in over the next calendar year.  

Gauthier, Bean, Priskie, Geekie, Kuok?, Sellgren, and Ned possibly. It will be hard to slow walk dudes in with that much young talent pushing for spots.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

It is a very nice problem to have.  We are going to have another slug of young players coming in over the next calendar year.  

Gauthier, Bean, Priskie, Geekie, Kuok?, Sellgren, and Ned possibly. It will be hard to slow walk dudes in with that much young talent pushing for spots.  

Ok, your avatar is EPIC

Boy if people can't see Necas' transcendent skill by now, what can I say? Keep watching I guess. I get the idea that players can earn a position with a strong camp, but it was obvious by the end of camp that Rod and the committee saw Necas' skills and abilities and had him inked in. The idea is to put the best players out there, not just who had the best camp. Gauthier made a lot of very nice power moves and I still like his future. His stock jumped the most of any player, but while Necas camp was less productive, the skill was still evident, and his stock was much higher to start. And we targeted the PP for attention, and Necas is better there as well. Our pp lacked elite movement. It mostly has it now, in part due to Necas.

Either way the committee made the right call. And IMO they deserve credit for seeing it, because Gauthier's camp could have pushed them to send Necas back, which would have been a mistake. 

We'll see what a larger sample size shows, but my money is on Necas having a major contribution his rookie year, and setting him up as one of our future stars. 

Gauthier is more iffy. He's a pure power forward. He will have to score goals at a pretty high level because he's not making many NHL plays, and he's not a 4th line energy guy. I still think he can make it and have a nice career, but my money is on Necas between the two long term and I'd put a lot of it down on that bet. 

Ultimately I agree, having both is a good "problem" to have. Goat will get up here and hopefully pot some goals, but Necas is not going down again.

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

C'mon AWAC. I could have scored that goal. From my couch.

Its about being in position to receive that pass.  Couch position aint it. LOL

13 minutes ago, remkin said:

Boy if people can't see Necas' transcendent skill by now

His speed is what will keep him in NHL. When I watch him I'm always muttering, is that guy fast. His skill will follow as he gets more comfortable. He is on the right line for now and expect him to begin to excel.  He looks like he has the potential to become a top NHLer. He is pretty good already.

2 minutes ago, OBXer said:

His speed is what will keep him in NHL. When I watch him I'm always muttering, is that guy fast. His skill will follow as he gets more comfortable. He is on the right line for now and expect him to begin to excel.  He looks like he has the potential to become a top NHLer. He is pretty good already.

The basic elite skills are there to see, but I agree, he still has to translate them to NHL conditions to be the elite guy that's in there. IMO he's already well ahead of schedule in that translation though.

• Like 3

Just now, remkin said:

IMO he's already well ahead of schedule in that translation though.

I agree. He really doesn't look out of place now. It should only get better

• Like 1

I know it's spectacularly early to scoreboard watch, but our nearest Metro competitors are both facing tough games. How nice if Washington and Pittsburgh both lose tonight, and, of course we win. 

We'd be 6 points up...on second place in the Metro. 

33 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

It's partly due to the Canes having played more games than Buffalo, Colorado, Edmonton, and Boston, but they're back in 1st place in the NHL.

What does a yellow light mean?  

Slow down

Whhhhatttt doooesss aaaaa yellooooow liiight mean?

:coollaugh:

• Like 2

FINALLY got to watch the fellas last night. Late one! 

Super impressed. There's an added assuredness and calm to the team that I love. Last year we sorta were proving it to both ourselves and the league. Now it feels like we definitely know we have something. 

Penalties are obviously something we have to clean up, but I expect that it will get better in time. The PK was a plus, however. 

Haula is absolutely everywhere on the ice.   

1 hour ago, remkin said:

And just wait until Nino and Aho really start to feel it. 

But when will that be?  Individually they are talented players but lets get honest (not at you Rem, just in general) right now these two SUCK playing together. 14 games between them and one empty netter and 3 helpers. A total joke. Roddie is doing what he can do to help but seriously between regular shifts and PP they are not getting it done. We are fortunate to have depth picking up their slack but these two cost us the Columbus game for lack of production and it will happen again.  Split them up. What else can you do??

• Like 2

If you want to base all decisions only on points produced a few games into the season have at it.  That fast food mentality will knee jerk us into the basement. IMHO. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cc said:

If you want to base all decisions only on points produced a few games into the season have at it.  That fast food mentality will knee jerk us into the basement. IMHO. 

The only thing that stands out to me between the two is that I constantly see them stumbling all over each other behind the net every shift. It's ok to call a spade a spade. They haven't been good, snake bitten or not. We all wear different colored glasses, and some may disagree. That's ok too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

And just wait until Nino and Aho really start to feel it. 

Seems you gotta figure their line is drawing opponents' tightest checking top pairings and 200 ft defenders, leaving our other scoring lines a smidgen more space to operate on their shifts, which could be interpreted in the point production thus far. Their "struggle" as so many are interpreting, has not been a deterrent to the overall team's pace and level of quality play, and in my view is helping to actually create a superb balance across several different combinations of lines in 5 on 5 and PP. I guess I just look at a larger spread of scoring punch down through more of the lineup as a better long term indicator of expected success and difficulty to defend. In short, I'd rather have 6 or 7 players in the 18-24g/25-30a range than a 40/45 goal scorer and a hoard of guys scoring 8 or 10. IMO Teams with that equation are more easily defended than teams with balanced and equally distributed game changers. If it were to turn out to be a so called "down" year for Aho and Nino in terms of points, and our other lines and D men produce as they've started, then so be it. I'd take our chances for an incredibly successful run on that. Tack on 30/35 if the high end touch returns for Aho at some point, and we're that much better and harder to defend.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, remkin said:

Boy if people can't see Necas' transcendent skill by now, what can I say?

Just wait til he gets set on his transcendent patootie a few times, because with the way he skates with his head down through the neutral zone, it's coming...

Edited by top-shelf-1

6 hours ago, cc said:

Its about being in position to receive that pass.  Couch position aint it. LOL

Dude, you don't need to be a first-round pick to see that opening. That goal was 90 percent Haula drawing everybody down low. Necas is talented, and clearly has chemistry with his linemates. But when you play with your head down in this league, you eventually pay--and the longer you get away with it, the less likely you are to correct it before that happens. 

• Like 1