The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

9 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

On a different note it’s great to see fans sticking up for a former NHLer a bit down on his luck. 

Reports of former NHL star working at Tim Hortons leads to job-shaming accusations
https://www.today.com/food/reports-former-nhl-star-working-tim-hortons-leads-job-shaming-t164757

Wow, people sure can be mean. I remember Don from his Flyer days. Quite a bruiser. Hopefully he gets things back on track.

• Like 1

6-2 and we dont have Aho or Nino contributing at decent levels and Svech isnt contributing 5v5.  That is pretty good sign for the teams capability once we get those three going.  8 games is only 8 games but I hope to see some changes soon.

Nino is a negative player right now.  He is back to taking the lazy penalties that put him on the trading block and not adding any scoring to counterbalance. I would like to see him demoted to a line away from Aho.

Aho will get it going but taking Nino off his line should help.

Svech is a bottom 200 forward in 5v5 scoring rate right now.  He is a top 50 scorer during the PP.  He has to clean up his game from all the penalties but, we cant handicap him on the Staal and McGinn line. 

The Staal line has 2 goals in 70 minutes of 5v5 time and 1 GA.  Crazy to consider but, their CF goes up almost 10 percentage points when Brock McGinn isnt on the line (only 10 minutes to time). Has the most High danger chances by number 17.  Have given up a ton of High Danger chances, 14.  

The top line, Haula's line, isnt much higher on Corsi For in 5v5 than Staal's line. They have produced two more goals and also allowed two more.  The lowest High danger chances for of the group at 12 but have a 2 to 1 for and against ratio.

The Aho line is the darling of statistics. They have the highest Corsi For by far and have a high High Danger chances ration (2 to 1).   

I hope that we see Svech move up and Nino down.  If I am truly getting my way, add Gauthier back and send Gibbons down.  Have to put Gauthier on a line that he can do more.  The 4th line has the lowest Corsi for on the squad.  

Svech-Aho-Turbo

Dzingle-Haula-Necas

Nino-Staal-Gauthier

Foegele-Wallmark-McGinn.

We are tied for 5th in 5v5 Goals scored but tied for 12th for 5v5 goals allowed.  A more even comparison is we are 9th in 5v5 Goals for percentage (which evens out the issues between the difference in games played).

Our special teams need help.  We have scored 5 PP goals (not shorties allowed) and allowed 8 PK goals (scored one).  Our special teams are -2.  

Source: Natural Stat Trick

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Gibbons got sent back down.

I'm surprised. That he was the call up. Not surprised he goes back down. I don't know how he's looked lately, but based on history, I'd bring up Bishop.

Last night's loss was disappointing, but just points out how good it was to take the game in LA. Tomorrow is the dreaded three games in 4 nights, but if we get points there, we'll be in very good shape with Far West Trip I done. 

Also, it gives Rod and the coaches some play at getting through on fixing the negatives. One thing is leading the NHL in minor penalties, by a lot. 8 more than the #2 team, who is, ironically, our next opponent the Ducks. 

Here's an idea. Clean up the penalties and get a big discrepancy in PP for us vs the Ducks, since they like to take them too. Perfect time to do that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Roddie protecting Haula from lightning striking twice or Sharks’ coach protecting Marleau?  

I dont know .   Usually  coaches tend to let their players play  regardless of who is out on the ice ,  I just thought it was kind of odd . 

How about the Defense Dougie is playing. I'd even say he's NOT the player who came here a year ago, and has upped the physical to a whole new level.

"On the Record" segment yesterday, the host's bold prediction was Finalist for the Norris. Of course that means nothing at this juncture, but just wow.

His aggressive O zone will render some odd mans on average, but scoring from the blue line I believe makes this team dynamic to the point of contending, and other than Faulk's half season PP run 2 seasons back, has been missing for far too long.

Here's to hoping it continues, whether any Norris consideration or not.

And he's got a big smile on and having fun. Good for him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Not sure i see the shaming, at least in that article.  People 'rallying to defend' him, but what are they defending him against?  Where's the so-called trashing?

I guess maybe the fact that it's news in the first place? 

• Like 1

Guys, TSN is reporting we’re kicking the tires on both Ho-Sang and Pujujarvi.

First, where will we dump the salary to acquire them since we’re up against the cap?

Second, who gets traded?

4 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Guys, TSN is reporting we’re kicking the tires on both Ho-Sang and Pujujarvi.

First, where will we dump the salary to acquire them since we’re up against the cap?

Second, who gets traded?

We have 1.92 million in cap space.

We must not have faith in any of the checkers sticking here.

trade: pick, defender, prospects

Also, in other news, Victor Mete just scored his first ever NHL goal in something like is 160th game.  Your new leader in games without scoring his first?  HAYDN FLEURY 

So are we going with 7 D and using TVR tomorrow? I would have thought with the travel we'd have heard of a Checker being called up. Did I miss it? 

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Also, in other news, Victor Mete just scored his first ever NHL goal in something like is 160th game.  Your new leader in games without scoring his first?  HAYDN FLEURY 

Bust pick . 

And Eklund (I know, I know) has us listed as one of 3 teams interested in Jamie Benn. Given the start we are off to, I don’t see why we are looking to trade for anyone right now. By all accounts we have a couple of guys in Charlotte deserving of a shot. If we are looking to bring in a fourth liner to replace Gibbons, I would think Bishop would have the inside track given his play last year. Obviously TSN is a more credible source, but we would be bringing in guys not currently on an NHL roster if we acquired Ho-Sang or Pool Party. Have they proven anything that our top prospects in Charlotte haven’t proved?

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

We have 1.92 million in cap space.

We must not have faith in any of the checkers sticking here.

trade: pick, defender, prospects

Good thought gocanes but $1,92mil ain't getting either of these, and Been is over $9mil I think? So how does the organization make the space no matter how good (or bad) anyone of these 3 might be?

24 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Good thought gocanes but $1,92mil ain't getting either of these, and Been is over $9mil I think? So how does the organization make the space no matter how good (or bad) anyone of these 3 might be?

My original statement was geared around Pulj and Ho Sang. They fit inside that cap hit.  

I don’t see how we are interested in Benn.  Dallas would have retain 20% or so.  Then we would have to move Nino and TVR. Throw in a pick or so.  Benn is slightly better than Nino but I don’t see the benefit. Unless he returns to 2 years ago, his 9.5 mil cap hit would be a huge anchor in 2 seasons.  

2 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

My original statement was geared around Pulj and Ho Sang. They fit inside that cap hit.  

But I thought both were more than $3mil? I guess I just don't see how paying that gets us inside the $1.9mil that is the available space?

33 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

But I thought both were more than $3mil? I guess I just don't see how paying that gets us inside the $1.9mil that is the available space?

Ho Sang’s current AVV 874,125.  Puljujarvi’s last cap hit was 925k from his original ELC.  He had the opportunity to earn another 2.75 million in performance bonuses but never did.

Edited by gocanes0506
No, no, no there are 2 Us in Puljujarvi, boys