The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

3 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Guys, TSN is reporting we’re kicking the tires on both Ho-Sang and Pujujarvi.

First, where will we dump the salary to acquire them since we’re up against the cap?

Second, who gets traded?

Finnish Synergy.

31 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Ho Sang’s current AVV 874,125.  Puljujarvi’s last cap hit was 925k from his original ELC.  He had the opportunity to earn another 2.75 million in performance bonuses but never did.

Okay, just shows my misinfo? Those would fit, but are they in line for large raise? Maybe that's what I was thinking? I do know that HO Sang is reputed self-centered? 

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

do know that HO Sang is reputed self-centered? 

Definitely has a reputation as a prima donna.  Don’t need that crap here 

• Like 1

What I find of interest is that both Ho-Sang and Puljujarvi  are both right shots. The rumor mongers say that we are also looking at other players. My bet is with only one right shot forward on the roster anybody who shoots right is on our radar. Unlike Dmen I don't think it is as important that wingers play on their natural side but with the rule change at the face-off dot this season I suspect being almost all left leaning is a concern.

We need more than a right shot.  We need a right shot that is decent in taking faceoffs. The choosing the dot rule is good and bad for us because we are left shot heavy.

missing Williams in more ways than one.

• Like 2

The fact the Ek is still out there never fails to amaze me. He is so consistently wrong it is staggering. Jamie Benn? That is just spectacularly stupid. The guy is fast becoming one of the worst contracts in the league. He is signed at $9.5 million for SIX more years and has begun to establish himself as a 50 point player. He shoots left; for those who are concerned about that it's the wrong side. He has a full NMC. He turned 30 this summer. 

One can always think that our scouts and advanced stats team sees him returning to his glory years, but even if we had the cap space that's a massive risk. 

This makes so little sense that I'm starting to think Ek literally uses a dart board.

• Like 2

We are above average in face off wins at 50.4%. Maybe we need right shots for some other reason, but to shake up the line up for that reason is not worth it. Any player we add needs to add to the greater good of the team. If he happens to be good in the alternate face-off dot, then great. 

I think it's also possible that we are just always active. Always looking. If a Puljujarvi could be had for say, Kuokkanen and one of our second rounders, or something like that, maybe it's worth taking a shot at him. Ho Sang? Same idea, but even lower price.

The argument in favor would be that both of these guys have high skill upside, and both have spent their entire failed careers to this point with one organization. (And in Puljujariv's case one with a track record of bad player development). Maybe a change of scenery and new conditions would breath life into their games. We have shown in recent drafts that we will take a rider on guys with lots of skill who have fallen out of favor. It's a good strategy IMO. You just need one or two to hit to make it worth doing. And we are building quite a group of them in our prospect pool.

But those two would have to be had for a pretty low return or it doesn't make sense to me anyways. 

I hope we're not giving up on Goat. I don't think we are, but I hope not. Mainly because of the camp he had. They say big guys can take longer to get to the NHL because they've been so used to using their size, and in the NHL it's not as huge of an advantage so to speak. Goat has been on the incline. With a much better AHL season last year including a lot of goals, but then stepping it up offseason and having a strong camp. 

10 minutes ago, remkin said:

Any player we add needs to add to the greater good of the team

I couldn't agree more. I wasn't suggesting we should go out and get any right shot winger. I was suggesting if we are shopping a right shot shooting winger might be on the list. . Making the team better has to always be on the top of the list

3 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I couldn't agree more. I wasn't suggesting we should go out and get any right shot winger. I was suggesting if we are shopping a right shot shooting winger might be on the list. . Making the team better has to always be on the top of the list

The player the Canes want and need to add is none other than Justin Williams.  The teams needs him for leadership, toughness, 2 way play, and yes, RH shot, mostly in that order.  Adding another prospect at this time is NOT what the Canes need.  Trading Gauthier for Puj.........., two RH shooting power forward prospects, makes no sense, because the reason Puj..... wants out of Edmonton is $$, and I would much rather spend the $$ short term on JW, and moving forward on Haula.

13 minutes ago, beboplar said:

The player the Canes want and need to add is none other than Justin Williams. 

But does HE want on the team?  See, that's the problem.  He made it clear he was mentally tired, and thus didn't want on.

I've been in employment situations where we "wished" someone on the team despite their initial unwillingness.  Didn't end well.

Edited by wxray1

As I reported tonight on Insider Trading, Hurricanes have done some tire kicking on a few forwards including Ho-Sang and Puljujarvi... not sure it will go anywhere but we’ll see https://twitter.com/tsnhockey/status/1184963425216147457 

Just re-positing that to make these points: Interesting since we are already so deep. Seems to imply two things to me. 1. We are not looking to goat to be that guy. 2. Justin Williams is enjoying his time away and/or is not in game shape.

Supposedly, Karpat (Puljujärvi’s team) has signed another player to a contract which pushes them over the allowable limit.  It could be anticipation of a player leaving.  

8 hours ago, wxray1 said:

But does HE want on the team?  See, that's the problem.  He made it clear he was mentally tired, and thus didn't want on.

I've been in employment situations where we "wished" someone on the team despite their initial unwillingness.  Didn't end well.

While I hear what you're saying, I still see JW returning for a final run for the roses.  He just wants to slip onto the race track when most of the other horses are breathing heavy.  Kind of an equalizer between 25 year olds and a 38 year old.

My prediction remains that he will relax for another 5-6 weeks, and take a month to get into playing shape, returning to the Canes at the New Year.  Who's with me?

5-0 start fantastic

1-3 after not very good

6-3 overall is a good start.

That overall start is good but its hard to be optimistic with the play we’ve shown over the last 4 games. Add in Haula getting hurt   presumably hurt for weeks (he was holding his neck after the hit) and we could be in trouble. We have a very favorable run of 16 games coming up.  We need to get some momentum and be well over .500 during the span.

3 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

This team is hurting big time without Martinook   , Williams  and McElhinney .  That much is obvious .    The canes are one of those teams .  

I disagree about hurting big time...but there is a leadership vacuum on the ice

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

I disagree about hurting big time...but there is a leadership vacuum on the ice

Why was the C ever given to Staal?  It failed the 1st time around.

Not sure that it makes anyone feel any better but looking at the schedule, I had us starting 6-4 in our first 10. It isn't the easiest road to start a season,.that's

for sure.

2 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

This team is hurting big time without Martinook   , Williams  and McElhinney .  That much is obvious .    The canes are one of those teams .  

I don't know about a leadership issue, but I agree 150% that there has been a fall off in players willing to play the physical role that dictates so much in this game.  Martinook will be back, losing Ferland, Saku, and JW while only picking up one physical player, Edmundson, hurt.  I think management will work it out and have the right compliment on the roster when it matters.

I wonder how the Habs feel now about not acquiring Aho.  Some professional athletes do not respond well to the pressure of playing under big contracts.  I have to believe Aho will snap out of it, he is young, but you want to see him get going before this starts to get in his head.

It does not seem like Staal is  bad on the surface as a captain  but it does seem that he has troubles commanding  a room .   If the effort is not there then why would the offense  be ?   Staal is  much like a  defense man  that so happens to do good at winning faceoffs .   His Offense is of the old school variety by being a big guy on the ice .    I think it filters down to the locker room .     As for Aho    we have seen him in years where he  might need a month  or so  to finally find himself  and start putting up points like a mad man ,   This year is just one of those years  where he starts off slow .  

Might be the same for nino who knows. 

The only consistent people  on the team  are  Haula , Hamilton ,  Turbo ,  when it comes to scoring .     Edmondson has been solid  for defense  ! 

Edited by Canesfanforever

I’m not sure how anyone knows what kind of leader Jordan is inside the room since none of us are there. Was he a great leader when we were 5-0, but terrible now that we have lost 3 of 4? I don’t think you can judge him based on less than the full season. I also think it says something that he has had at least an A under every coach since he got here. The co-captaincy idea was a bust but I blame Peters for that. And we all agree the coach who made him captain was one of the best captains ever. Give the guy a chance. 

5 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

It does not seem like Staal is  bad on the surface as a captain  but it does seem that he has troubles commanding  a room .   If the effort is not there then why would the offense  be ?   Staal is  much like a  defense man  that so happens to do good at winning faceoffs .   His Offense is of the old school variety by being a big guy on the ice .    I think it filters down to the locker room .     As for Aho    we have seen him in years where he  might need a month  or so  to finally find himself  and start putting up points like a mad man ,   This year is just one of those years  where he starts off slow .  

Might be the same for nino who knows. 

The only consistent people  on the team  are  Haula , Hamilton ,  Turbo ,  when it comes to scoring .     Edmondson has been solid  for defense  ! 

A4D5DB73-344E-471D-9CF5-6D74F594D903.jpeg