The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Boy it's like zombie land around here? No chatter for over 10 hours. Hope the guys are more spirited than this? Need to work on the PP up until game time on Thursday  for sure. Funny, my 1st thoughts when the season opened was that it looked vastly different and DYNAMIC? Fast forward almost at the 10 game point, and it seemed to have reverted back to the old ways. What happened? Old habits die hard or what?

16 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Boy it's like zombie land around here? No chatter for over 10 hours. Hope the guys are more spirited than this? Need to work on the PP up until game time on Thursday  for sure. Funny, my 1st thoughts when the season opened was that it looked vastly different and DYNAMIC? Fast forward almost at the 10 game point, and it seemed to have reverted back to the old ways. What happened? Old habits die hard or what?

The issue with first several games is that it is not easy to understand whether Canes PP and overall game was good or opponents' PK unit players were still getting familiar with each other after offseason.

4 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

The issue with first several games is that it is not easy to understand whether Canes PP and overall game was good or opponents' PK unit players were still getting familiar with each other after offseason.

That is true.  It was nice to see Haula get that goal though.  Maybe that will wake the PP up a bit.  I would say maybe after 15-20 games into the season that's when we'll know how good our PP is because by then teams will know our PP.  It went stagnant until Haula scored though.  I like Hamilton and Gardiner on the points though because they both have blistering slappers.  This lone time off is a good time to work on our PP at practice or watch video of it and for Haula to get better.  Any news on him?  I misspoke in another post, it was an upper body injury he suffered (at least it's not his hip) and at this point he's day to day and Brindamour wasn't too concerned about it.  I'm 99.9 % sure he'll be in the lineup Thursday.  It's probably nothing that little ice paks won't fix.

If there is one time we need this long layoff it's right now.  This team needs to get hot again and Haula needs to heal.  I'm not worried at all yet because the next three games this month (2 at home) are winnable, we just have to stop coming out of the gate stagnant.

15 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

I’m not sure how anyone knows what kind of leader Jordan is inside the room since none of us are there. Was he a great leader when we were 5-0, but terrible now that we have lost 3 of 4? I don’t think you can judge him based on less than the full season. I also think it says something that he has had at least an A under every coach since he got here. The co-captaincy idea was a bust but I blame Peters for that. And we all agree the coach who made him captain was one of the best captains ever. Give the guy a chance. 

For everyone saying how bad Staal is as the C, you need to think back to last year. Like last year this team has come out flying before slumping, although we have 2 key injuries this year now. If Staal is a bad C, then I would assume you believe William's was a bad one last year....

I dunno if anyone reads the Cardiac Canes blogs and I admittedly don't. But when I try to give them a chance geez oh pete do they give me a headache.

"Should the Reimer experiment be ended?" Goes on to say the absolute frickin obvious that he shouldn't but wow.....

Last article before that one I tried out was "Where is the 06 team now" it went on to tell you everything Google told you and very few players actually had what they were literally doing today in it. 

I get that their not paid nor professional but you put in a professional wrapper and the content is just poo.

2 hours ago, DevildogKodi said:

For everyone saying how bad Staal is as the C, you need to think back to last year. Like last year this team has come out flying before slumping, although we have 2 key injuries this year now. If Staal is a bad C, then I would assume you believe William's was a bad one last year....

Did you even read what you responded to? I was supporting Jordan as captain.

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

I dunno if anyone reads the Cardiac Canes blogs and I admittedly don't. But when I try to give them a chance geez oh pete do they give me a headache.

"Should the Reimer experiment be ended?" Goes on to say the absolute frickin obvious that he shouldn't but wow.....

Last article before that one I tried out was "Where is the 06 team now" it went on to tell you everything Google told you and very few players actually had what they were literally doing today in it. 

I get that their not paid nor professional but you put in a professional wrapper and the content is just poo.

Gave up on Cardiac Canes a while ago for that same reason. Seems to range from the obvious to the, well just not too bright. Not a confection for an experienced fan. Our posts are better. Cane's Country is, IMO substantially better than Cardiac Canes, though still not fully on professional sports journalism. To me the best write ups are probably the Canes' coverage on the Athletic. Sarah Civ is mostly pretty good really, and there is really good stuff on prospects. Plus all the other sports. It took me a awhile to want to pay for something like that, but I'd say it's worth it. 

Not sure if this was covered here yet, but Brind'Amour says Haula did not have a concussion and will only be out for a few days. I'm assuming then, since we have more than that off, he shouldn't miss any games from this. And that is good since he's our all world putter of the puck into the net.

• Like 5

I know we have a few days off, and I was thinking about the Stanley Cup team. I realized, that with JW taking his break, only Eric Staal and Andrew Ladd are still playing. Boy, talk about feeling old!

3 hours ago, remkin said:

Not sure if this was covered here yet, but Brind'Amour says Haula did not have a concussion and will only be out for a few days. I'm assuming then, since we have more than that off, he shouldn't miss any games from this. And that is good since he's our all world putter of the puck into the net.

That's good news.  Like I said, I'm pretty sure he'd be in the line up Thursday.  Fortunately, this 6 days off came at the right time it appears.  I guess he passed concussion protocol when he exited the game and I assume they left him out of the game for precautionary reasons (may have had a headache).   At least it's not the hip.  That hip injury ended his season last year.

The team has scored 30 goals this year and he and Hamilton have 1/3 of those goals (12).  We need more from Aho, Nino, Staal, Dzingel and everyone.  Has to start soon or it's going to be a long season. Haula and Hamilton can't score every game.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

3 hours ago, remkin said:

Looked to me like he got the wind knocked out of him and probably bruised some ribs. Glad nothing's broken.

6 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I meander over there if Im looking for a good laugh. Their off-season trade with Edmonton was hilarious. 

edit* found it:

Edmonton Receives:

Brett Pesce

RFA rights to Haydn Fleury

Aleksi Saarela

Roland McKeown

2019 3rd Round Pick

Future 1st Round Pick

Carolina Receives:

Leon Draisaitl

Milan Lucic

RFA rights to Jesse Puljujarvi

Edited by gocanes0506

43 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I meander over there if Im looking for a good laugh. Their off-season trade with Edmonton was hilarious. 

edit* found it:

Edmonton Receives:

Brett Pesce

Aleksi Saarela

Roland McKeown

2019 3rd Round Pick

Future 1st Round Pick

Carolina Receives:

Leon Draisaitl

Milan Lucic

Seems like they enjoy too much CBD over there?

8 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

On another note, wonder what anyone thinks on Florida signing Boyle? Think that might spur Justin Williams into any action? Just a thought.

I don't know but here's a thought I was just thinking:  What if Justin Williams decides to come back at a time when this team finally is gelling and all lines are finally contributing?  I mean there's chemistry and we're scoring better and playing better and winning a lot of games (we found our swagger again that we seemed to have lost these last 4 games).  This is ALL lines.  Not just one or two.  The adage goes if it ain't broke don't fix it.  Where would Rod fit him in the lineup when the team is hot?  This is of course a WHAT IF scenario.

As far as we all know Williams could be getting into playing shape right now.  You would think he'd come back after Martinook went down and Brindamour would put the 2nd 'A' on his sweater until Martinook comes back (like Slavin took Staal's replacement as 'A' last season until Staal came back) because he'd add some leadership to that locker room.

10 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

edit* found it:

Edmonton Receives:

Brett Pesce

Aleksi Saarela

Roland McKeown

2019 3rd Round Pick

Future 1st Round Pick

Carolina Receives:

Leon Draisaitl

Milan Lucic

Edmonton definitely wants to rebuild for the sake of rebuilding and never cash in on it.

Savage

RT @MSmithCanes: Ryan Dzingel back at #Canes practice today. Erik Haula (upper body) not skating, but head coach Rod Brind'Amour was optimistic on his status for later in the week. https://t.co/ACWPXzUas2

15 minutes ago

With Haula out, Wallmark centering Dzingel and Necas.

• Like 2

Thanks OBXer for updating us. Boy this schedule this year to start out with is brutal? But this 6 day break this early on COULD prove to be pivotal and pay big dividends later on if used constructively to correct several problems? Just hope it works out that way. 

• Like 2

image.png.f0baf5fc51f532abcb71a5a15900ecdd.png

Wake up guys, we just started another season of Canes Hockey. I think everyone is still a little dazed from the sucker punch out West no?

Edited by sleekfeeder

1 hour ago, sleekfeeder said:

Wake up guys, we just started another season of Canes Hockey. I think everyone is still a little dazed from the sucker punch out West no?

I’m pulling an Aho, I’m taking the first part of the season off.

Then again I didn’t force the organization to pay me 21 million dollars this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sleekfeeder said:

Was this Rod’s speak to the offense not named Haula, Dzingel, and Necas?

It will be interesting to see how this team responds to this long break. Historically, when one team has a long break and the other is playing but rested, as Columbus will be in their barn Thursday, that game has a big edge to the team that has been playing. That would be a really nice win if we can get it. Mostly though just want to see this team getting back to our A game, and getting Nino and Aho going would be nice. 

Nothing is easy in the NHL, and Calgary has been a tough out for us, but after Thursday the schedule should be better until December. 

22 minutes ago, remkin said:

Historically, when one team has a long break and the other is playing but rested, as Columbus will be in their barn Thursday, that game has a big edge to the team that has been playing. That would be a really nice win if we can get it.

RIght.  And then the next excuse to pull out is the first home game after a long road string is a dud.  See Saturday.

No excuses.  Play.

39 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

RIght.  And then the next excuse to pull out is the first home game after a long road string is a dud.  See Saturday.

No excuses.  Play.

My main point is it will be interesting to see if this team overcomes it. I think it's been proven, but to be honest, not sure if it's out there. I found this, that talked about it after the league staggered bye weeks in 2017 pitting playing vs rusted teams. The NHL has changed this to address it during actual bye weeks, but this is not an official bye week. But it is 5+ days off as is mentioned below:

There was plenty of media coverage last year about how NHL teams struggled following their bye week, especially after the first 18 teams posted a mark of 3-11-4 in their first game back from the break. The National Hockey League acknowledged that teams were a disadvantage when playing their first game following 5+ days off (“We don’t think it worked well,” commissioner Gary Bettman told the USA Today during the annual general managers meeting), and made changes in 2017-18 to address them.

Read more: https://www.nhltips.ca/2017-nhl-bye-week-stats/#ixzz631eB89hB

But my post was really mostly to add some noise to the crickets.

• Like 1