The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

6 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I think there is a reasonable chance we will lose one of this group to waivers

We didn’t lose Roland...I doubt we’ll lose anyone this time as well.

• Like 1

So after reading through last couple pages of comments, It seems we kind of  looked like garbage this preseason?  And now we have injuries to new guys who were going to help us. Of course what happens in pre season doesn't usually matter but there does not seem to be a lot of positives to take away.   Let's see what happens over the next couple weeks.  Opening night is almost here!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

We didn’t lose Roland...I doubt we’ll lose anyone this time as well.

True. I hope that is the case this time. There aren't many goalies on the market right now so a team may take a chance on Forsburg

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

True. I hope that is the case this time. There aren't many goalies on the market right now so a team may take a chance on Forsburg

Evil Empire waived DeSmith

2 hours ago, Danimal38 said:

So after reading through last couple pages of comments, It seems we kind of  looked like garbage this preseason?

Not sure if that's true D38, but it is for sure there are a lot of kinks to work out? AKA Rod, they were mainly getting some idea about a few Yutes, and looking at what the new acquisitions will bring. It would be a little unreasonable to think they are hitting on all cylinders this early?

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

I'd hate to see Forsberg gone. From what I saw this pre-season he played fairly well and he is only 26. Reimer on the other hand is 31. I won't be surprised if he is grabbed.

Saw where Josh Ho-Sang was put out on waivers. He was thought to have decent potential at one time, so wonder if it might be worth a claim, but surely he'd not make us any tougher to play against.

Many new faces in the lineup this year and with evaluating Yutes and with injuries it has not been possible to get the A team together for a game. I would not be surprised if it takes awhile for the team to get used to each others tendencies and to gel as a team. I'm concerned with Gardiner as he has a history of a bad back but MRI's in June came back clean. In April the discussion of surgery was on the table, Let's hope this current problem is minor in nature but Rod has recently stated he is concerned he will not be ready for opening night. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I'd hate to see Forsberg gone. From what I saw this pre-season he played fairly well and he is only 26. Reimer on the other hand is 31. I won't be surprised if he is grabbed.

I'm with you. This guy could be a very serviceable back up, or possibly even better. I really hope he gets through. 

1 minute ago, slapshot02 said:

I'm concerned with Gardiner as he has a history of a bad back but MRI's in June came back clean. In April the discussion of surgery was on the table, Let's hope this current problem is minor in nature but Rod has recently stated he is concerned he will not be ready for opening night. 

I read an article, I think Sara Civ, where Brind'Amour explicitly said it was not the back. Because, I agree that would be the most concerning if it were.

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

I read an article, I think Sara Civ, where Brind'Amour explicitly said it was not the back. Because, I agree that would be the most concerning if it were.

Well that is good to hear. I missed Sara's article. 

5 hours ago, beboplar said:

All teams go through injuries, and it is good that the Canes have as much depth as they have to withstand injuries to 2 of their top 6 and still leave a debate as to who should fill the vacuum.  TVR is most likely on a known schedule, so currently the big question is Gardiner.  I am not sure whether TVR's status lands him on the IL and thus he counts against one of the 5 "cuts" that need to be made prior to Thursday.  Certainly 1 goalie will be gone.  If Gardiner is day to day, then I suspect Fleury and McKeown will make it for the time being and Forsling will be cut.  For the short run I am not concerned about the D.

I do agree, but would just point out that we traded 2 of the major pieces of last year's D also. So if Gardiner is not available to take up Faulk's role, it could be an issue. The last two preseason games showed it with more than a couple of defensive miscues and breakdowns. 

My opinion is that to an extent you can protect the bottom 2, but you need your top 4 to be solid. I'm not sure we have a #4 D man outside of Gardiner right now. So, with TVR and Gardiner out, we are in effect replacing Faulk, DeHaan, and TVR with Fleury, Edmundson, and say McKeown. Not only is Fleury and McKeown a drop off, but Edmundson has to adjust to a new system. 

I think in the long run we'll get TVR and Gardiner back and even beyond that the D will gel, but in the early games it's something to keep an eye on.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Well that is good to hear. I missed Sara's article. 

Had to double check, that is where, here's the quote. I sighed some relief reading this:

Injury report:

Jake Gardiner

Brind’Amour’s update: “Gards is the most troublesome for me. I don’t know where he’s quite at, I’m hoping he’ll be able to get back in there … he says it’s not anything related (to last season’s back injury)."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Thanks OBXer. Understand Bishop, Forsling and Forsberg on waivers? Just hope Bishop makes it thru. Don't know about the other 2?

So we just waived the entire return on the DeHaan trade. Hmmm. Hope they clear.

From NHL Bold Fantasy Predictions: 

CAR - Dougie Hamilton will lead all NHL defensemen with 12 power-play goals on the top unit after Justin Faulk was traded to the St. Louis Blues.

I'd say, could well be, but I really liked Gardiner moving the puck on the first PP unit. Still, 12 PP goals would be nice. 

41 minutes ago, remkin said:

I do agree, but would just point out that we traded 2 of the major pieces of last year's D also. So if Gardiner is not available to take up Faulk's role, it could be an issue. The last two preseason games showed it with more than a couple of defensive miscues and breakdowns. 

My opinion is that to an extent you can protect the bottom 2, but you need your top 4 to be solid. I'm not sure we have a #4 D man outside of Gardiner right now. So, with TVR and Gardiner out, we are in effect replacing Faulk, DeHaan, and TVR with Fleury, Edmundson, and say McKeown. Not only is Fleury and McKeown a drop off, but Edmundson has to adjust to a new system. 

I think in the long run we'll get TVR and Gardiner back and even beyond that the D will gel, but in the early games it's something to keep an eye on.  

For all of the talk about Faulk's deficiencies and the team's power play woes, if Gardiner returns in short order and plays 65-70 regular season games, I am willing to risk that change.  IMO de Haan has essentially been replaced by Edmundson for 1 year.  It is good that they added a big defenseman who can block shots and is not foreign to making hits.  I think McKeown will do what TVR does hopefully, and Fleury will fill in as needed.  We know what to expect from Slavin, Pesce, and Hamilton, so Gardiner is the key.

4 hours ago, OBXer said:

I think there is a reasonable chance we will lose one of this group to waivers

I was hoping they would keep Forsberg and trade Reimer to a team in need.  Could still happen.

14 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I was hoping they would keep Forsberg and trade Reimer to a team in need.  Could still happen.

Only if he clears . . . :crossfingers:

8 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Maybe they charged you more for the extra spaces and misplaced punctuation.  😀

I will let this slide  since im clearly better than you in every way .   I know  small minded people need to feel good about themselves from time to time in order to get through the day  and well  I hope  what you said helped you deal with your frustrations  ! 😁

Edited by Canesfanforever
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I will let this slide  since im clearly better than you in every way .   I know  small minded people need to feel good about themselves from time to time in order to get through the day  and well  I hope  what you said helped you deal with your frustrations  ! 😁

Thank you for an early morning chuckle.

• Like 2

You want frustration. Try being a moderator on this board. Everybody chill. At least until I have my second cup of coffee. Lets talk hockey.

• Like 4

I’m not sure why the Canes waived Forsberg instead of Reimer?  Forsberg is younger and cheaper.  Probably more of chance he gets claimed than if Reimer.  Unless Reimer really outplayed Forsberg over training camp

3 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

I’m not sure why the Canes waived Forsberg instead of Reimer?  Forsberg is younger and cheaper.  Probably more of chance he gets claimed than if Reimer.  Unless Reimer really outplayed Forsberg over training camp

I guess only Roddy or our new goalie coach knows for sure. I'm hoping Reimer steps up. If not we have options unlike years past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

You want frustration. Try being a moderator on this board. Everybody chill. At least until I have my second cup of coffee. Lets talk hockey.

I 2nd that OBXer and further don't see why we go thru these spells of personal attacks from time to time(even though I do admit to being guilty myself), but this board is one of the best because you, rem, gocanes and Lake do a great job of defusing these petty macho spats.

• Like 3