The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

6 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

One thing i would love to see the Canes do is Give Haula and extension  on his contract .   He has been a gift from the hockey gods since he got here . 

That's not really Waddell's modus operandi Cff, but I echo your sentiment on this player. Just hope he has an equally good feeling about his situation and the area to make him want to stay. We certainly have surrounded him with several fellow countrymen, here and in the system so that could help. Now if someone could just open a Finnish restaurant in the area?

Haula is going to get a hefty raise at this current rate.  It will be a risk with a big knee injury and this being his 2nd good season.  I would think the number would be between 6-7 million.  How many years is the question.  He’ll turn 29 this season. I don’t see us going above 6 and I think that is a stretch.  

easily affordable for next season but, it gets dicey with Hamilton, Necas, and Svech re-upps coming.  It won’t be cap dicey (expect a huge jump in cap with the new TV deal) but how much can our market afford?

Edited by gocanes0506

Haula was a pass-first winger that we're playing as a center. Brind'amour the faceoff man must really believe in him. I've missed some games but I think every Haula goal I've seen has been him parked in front of the net. He still has a ton of potential coming off the injury and will be a UFA next year so I'm sure he'll keep playing his butt off.

4 minutes ago, thickburglar said:

Haula was a pass-first winger that we're playing as a center. Brind'amour the faceoff man must really believe in him. I've missed some games but I think every Haula goal I've seen has been him parked in front of the net. He still has a ton of potential coming off the injury and will be a UFA next year so I'm sure he'll keep playing his butt off.

Dude is getting paid, and it's likely not coming out of Dundon's pocket. That is unless he makes a trade to free up space. Stranger things have happened. 

53 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Dude is getting paid, and it's likely not coming out of Dundon's pocket. That is unless he makes a trade to free up space. Stranger things have happened. 

Well  the canes will most likely need to do that  because the HWSNBN and Marleaus  money frees up enough space for  Some players like GoCanes Mentioned   but I would hope  it goes towards  the right players   and not to ones that  not pulling their fair  share .    I'm  seriously thinking  the Canes might have to  make some serious trades  that wont go over well with the fans . 

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

It will be a risk with a big knee injury

Remind you of anyone gocanes? As I recall, our vaunted captain from last year, and one we keep hoping may have a change of heart to come back even now(at least I do), was given up on years ago and traded to LA(and the rest is history so they say), with not 1 but 2 serious knee injuries. Guess it's all a matter of genes and determination?

36 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Remind you of anyone gocanes? As I recall, our vaunted captain from last year, and one we keep hoping may have a change of heart to come back even now(at least I do), was given up on years ago and traded to LA(and the rest is history so they say), with not 1 but 2 serious knee injuries. Guess it's all a matter of genes and determination?

solid point.  All we can hope for is that it doesnt blow up in our face no matter which way we go.

18 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

One thing i would love to see the Canes do is Give Haula and extension  on his contract .   He has been a gift from the hockey gods since he got here . 

Whoa, never give an extension because of a 9 game hot streak.  dude could end the season with 18goals.  Maybe around Feb/March evaluate that extension.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Danimal38 said:

Whoa, never give an extension because of a 9 game hot streak.  dude could end the season with 18goals.  Maybe around Feb/March evaluate that extension.  

Yup.

I love what he's brought so far, but it's a long season, and he hasn't come anywhere near a point-per-game pace in his career. He also hasn't played 82 games in a season yet. Yes, he's been close, but let's say you pay him $6 million. That's $73K per game. If he misses eight--his average, over his four full seasons in the NHL, and that's throwing out the major injury last year and the half-season when he first came up--you just threw away $584K. Per year.

Even if he he can sustain a ppg pace for a full season, I don't think we can afford his payoff deal, which, at his age, is what he'll be looking for.

Just reading that Ned is not doing so hot to start out with, 5.05 GAA and .788 save percent. While it's very early, and not not much denominator to offset numerator, it's looking like the "committee" made the correct choice in goal.

On another note, see where Jamie McGinn signed a PTO with Checkers? Yikes. What gives with that? Always thought he was the better of the 2 brothers, and for awhile wanted us to try to unite the 2 brothers. Had his play fallen off that badly, or was I badly mistaken on his worth?

3 hours ago, Danimal38 said:

The fanbase shoulda learned something with wanting to jam money down Ferland's throat last year and that push started around the 30-40 game mark nevermind 9. We could be on the hook for a helluva crappy contract right now.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Danimal38 said:

I wanna like this more than once, cause that’s how we got screwed by JR and HWSNBN

We don't need to get married yet. Let's just have some fun this year. 

I think that the Committee has shown a nice ability to find guys like Haula, and can do so again next year if he walks. We got Haula for Nick Roy and a 5th rounder. Even for one year of Haula, that's pretty good. We're also on UFA's radars for the first time in forever. (See Dzingel).

I'm going to enjoy some Haula this year, and let the chips fall on future years later. This does not mean I wouldn't want him back, just that it has to makes sense in the bigger picture and the cap. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

I would think 3C might be Geekie's next year.

That's a decent bet. He has 4 goals and 8 points in 6 games so far. 

In other checkers news, they just signed Jamie McGinn, Brock's older brother on a PTO. 

http://gocheckers.com/articles/transactions/checkers-sign-jamie-mcginn-to-pto

And another chance to mention that I met their father on a cruise where Brock had just texted him that something was going on with Ron Francis, who was fired later that day. Nice guy. 

Jamie has 617 NHL games and is big and physical.

• Like 1

Seems it's a gamble either way whenever you're dealing with an unsigned 1 year sensation. Early negotiations could possibly(in lieu of his security)seal him up for a couple fewer years and less $$$$impact, where as waiting til later if a he has a career year at .8-1.0/game only runs up the years at his age and the cap impact. I think we can safely assume he's a solid player that fits into Roddy's plan for net play, yet maybe not quite, given this market, a 6 or 7 mil player over extended years. Case anyone's reading, He's about to come on live on the Power Play, Sirius XM.

10 minutes ago, 2ndsacker said:

Case anyone's reading, He's about to come on live on the Power Play, Sirius XM.

Thanks for the heads up. Just listened. Nice interview. Didn't know Haula knew Nino. Maybe he can get him to start matching him in goals. Didn't mention an extension :P.

16 hours ago, remkin said:

Thanks for the heads up. Just listened. Nice interview. Didn't know Haula knew Nino. Maybe he can get him to start matching him in goals. Didn't mention an extension :P.

They were in Minnesota together for 4 seasons. 

Man, lose two games and the entire NHL world stops talking about you.  Haven’t heard jack *edit* about us since late Friday on the national media.

2 hours ago, thickburglar said:

Humble brag- I saw Haula with his wife on the way out of the fair last night and shook his hand. Seems like a super nice guy. 

Of the thongs of people there I bet you were one of a handful that would recognize him at this point. 

While I like Haula so far, never forget that HWSNBN once started hot out of the gate.  I'm certainly not comparing Haula to he who stands at the blue line waits for busses, but pump the brakes a bit and see if the knee holds up. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, remkin said:

Of the thongs of people there I bet you were one of a handful that would recognize him at this point. 

Yeah he may be our leading scorer but perhaps not a Raleigh celeb yet like this prankster group that is forming between Dougie, Svech, and Foegele 

• Like 1