The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

22 hours ago, remkin said:

In other checkers news, they just signed Jamie McGinn, Brock's older brother on a PTO

I'd mentioned that right above you rem, but also had asked "what happened to him" as i thought he was a decent player, better than Brock, but now he signs a PTO to play with the Checkers? Why the drop off?

On 10/22/2019 at 9:43 AM, thickburglar said:

Haula was a pass-first winger that we're playing as a center. Brind'amour the faceoff man must really believe in him. I've missed some games but I think every Haula goal I've seen has been him parked in front of the net. He still has a ton of potential coming off the injury and will be a UFA next year so I'm sure he'll keep playing his butt off.

Haula's game hasn't changed since he's been in the NHL. I was excited when we got him as we have needed a "garbage man" for years. The majority of his goals are within the circles in the crease or sitting just off the posts. A slap shot is a rarity for him. Below shows all of his goals in 17-18 with Vegas and prior to Vegas was much of the same. 

I know it wouldn't happen but I'd like to see Haula center TT and Nino. Move Aho to 2nd line right wing to get his scoring touch back and see if it gets Svech scoring as well. Move McGinn to third line RW and move Necas to center. Might get McGinn going more with Dzingle and Necas. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Man, lose two games and the entire NHL world stops talking about you.  Haven’t heard jack *edit* about us since late Friday on the national media.

Old "what have you done for me lately" scenario, combined with us being "the red headed stepchild" I suspect?

7 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I'd mentioned that right above you rem, but also had asked "what happened to him" as i thought he was a decent player, better than Brock, but now he signs a PTO to play with the Checkers? Why the drop off?

He's no youngster at 31 and is a -83 in his career. He has had some decent years but I think father time and his defensive lapses have caught up with him.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I know it wouldn't happen but I'd like to see Haula center TT and Nino. Move Aho to 2nd line right wing to get his scoring touch back and see if it gets Svech scoring as well. Move McGinn to third line RW and move Necas to center. Might get McGinn going more with Dzingle and Necas. 

https://puckbase.com/stats/faceoff-percentage?team=CAR

I wouldn't be surprised if Haula gets a shot at the 1C spot whenever we change up the lines. He has the faceoff stats to back it up! 

Its been no secret I don't worry too much about FO % so long as it's at least not terrible. But even I can see that Necas has some work to do if he wants to one day be a center. It's a very small sample size, but jeepers, 18%? Rod better get to work with him, because I still think he's a future center.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

He's no youngster at 31 and is a -83 in his career. He has had some decent years but I think father time and his defensive lapses have caught up with him.

Okay then, thanks slap!! On an amusing note, just saw that Ek has an E3 that Jamie McGinn being looked by a couple of teams. What a joke that website is?

16 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Okay then, thanks slap!! On an amusing note, just saw that Ek has an E3 that Jamie McGinn being looked by a couple of teams. What a joke that website is?

Jamie McGinn or Jamie Benn?

4 minutes ago, CanesFan2003 said:

Been trying for a while now to figure out what HWSNBN stands for.

I know it is about Scott Darling but can't figure out what the aconym stands for.

Can someone help me out?

He who shall not be named, Semin 

24 minutes ago, CanesFan2003 said:

Been trying for a while now to figure out what HWSNBN stands for.

I know it is about Scott Darling but can't figure out what the aconym stands for.

Can someone help me out?

Yep, preceded Darling, and as legend points out, the acronym stands for He Who Shall Not Be Named, referring to Alexander Semin. We acquired him from the Caps back in the day, and he was on fire to start out, quickly prompting our fearless GM leader to extend him a completely insane contract which we are still suffering thru. Of course HWSNBN never lived up to that contract, prompting his buyout a few years later to get rid of his miserable *&%#, so as not to contaminate any impressionable player with the art of slacking. Meanwhile that fearless GM has gone on to greener pastures, leaving those who've followed to suffer thru the foibles he created, and HWSNBN to frolic about in the lap of luxury provided by the stupidity that was/is Jim Rutherford. That deal culminated many other contracts that extended variable contract trade restrictions which in large part, IMHO, helped this franchise suffer thru the 9 year wasteland of no playoffs. And there you have why there is such emotion attached to HWSNBN!! But you likely knew most of that? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CanesFan2003 said:

Scott Darling = Mongo

14 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Jamie McGinn or Jamie Benn?

I am sorry. You are correct slap, and I completely misread. It is Benn that Eck was referring to and I read McGinn? I guess that I was so dumbfounded that Jamie McGinn was going to the Checkers as I still thought he a valuable player(apparently incorrect about the also), that I misread the other. My faux pas, and thanks for correcting.

Edited by gocanes0506
Circumventing the language filter

I think I'm spending too much time on forums.  This forum, and a few others I visit, develop their own language.  It is a sub-sub-culture thing.  :)

Sometimes, that language slips out in the real world and people look at me like, WHAT?

• Like 1

To me HWSNBN's conduct was just so flat out egregiously lazy that we don't even want to honor him by using his name. He used us and tossed us away like a snot rag. On top of that, he did it when we had a winning culture problem to begin with, and on top of that represented the worst of JR and the shape he left this organization. I don't really have a problem using Darling's name, but Mongo is just so funny. But not HWSNBN. There's nothing funny about that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, remkin said:

I don't really have a problem using Darling's name, but Mongo is just so funny.

There was nothing funny about all those goals he let in...

13 hours ago, hockeybaby said:

At least Mongo tried, and hard to say what was going on for him during his time here. HWSNBN just didn't give a toss.

Cheese burgers, hush puppies, barbeque. Loved the state fair....fried everything. Kept fried oreos tucked in the cuff of his glove. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Cheese burgers, hush puppies, barbeque. Loved the state fair....fried everything. Kept fried oreos tucked in the cuff of his glove. 

...... because you were hungry...

GreatCapitalAstrangiacoral-max-1mb.gif

• Like 1

So last season after 10 games we were 6-3-1. This season after 10 games we are 6-3-1. It worked out pretty well last season. Didn't it?

57 minutes ago, OBXer said:

So last season after 10 games we were 6-3-1. This season after 10 games we are 6-3-1. It worked out pretty well last season. Didn't it?

I think goaltending and physicality is worse though.  I have not been impressed with thus team as of late.  But I realize it's a long season.  The 7 dmen thing isn't working out.

• Like 1

given that the season  is still early  there is no reason to panic ,   Typically all the  "good " teams  have a slow start   and then start raking in  wins .   Carolina  might just be one of those teams .   Aho  just finally started clicking some    now it's a matter of time  when Nino  and Svech  start scoring some goals .   The only question  to worry about is the goal tending .  Maybe this new goalie coach needs to be canned  and so the canes can  bring in Ward  to do the goalie coaching . Just an idea . 

Good thing we got Haula and Dzingel because outside of Dougy and maybe TT, they're carrying the load. If the native Hurricanes start picking it up, we'd be formidable.