The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

5 days off. Whatever conditioning was used didn't work. 1st period flying. Legs cool off between periods. 2nd period dead leg syndrome. Very predictable even with the conditioning this team endures. Bet Roddy will be tweaking it a little in long off day scenarios moving forward. The only major problem I see is the continued bad timing on line changes and  a couple guys making a habit of getting caught too long TOI. That has cost us more than any other deficiency. Very fixable, coachable, and not a lack of anything; penalties at least leveling out and manageable. 82 games. Not 10. Not 40. Not 60. 82 it is. That 1st period is what the team is shooting for and legs willing will bury a lot of sub par defensive teams when extended beyond 20 or 30 minutes. And there are a lot of sub par defensive teams. Peaking at 25 games is not the object. Just ask TB. 13 points in 10 games and hitting on about 60% in all three phases. I'll take it. When they learn a little killer instinct and have the energy to back it, they're gonna P#$%& some people in this league off.

The team could’ve had an incredible month after the 5-0 start.  The 3 games in 4 nights west coast swing followed by 5 days off still doesn’t make any sense.  The San Jose game was a schedule loss.  However, the Ducks game and last Jacket game are concerning.  Need for some of the forwards to get going

• Like 1

"Free agent winger Justin Williams has resumed skating, reports TSN’s Frank Seravalli.  The 38-year-old announced last month that he was ‘stepping away’ from the game as he wasn’t quite ready to decide on his playing future at the time.  While this certainly doesn’t mean he’s coming back, it at least suggests that he’s open to the possibility.  Williams is believed to have spurned overtures from several teams over the summer and the belief at this time is that if he does return, it would only be with Carolina.  While the Hurricanes don’t have enough cap room to pay anywhere near the $4.5MM AAV he had on his last contract, they would be able to structure it with achievable performance bonuses that could be applied on their cap next season when the buyout of Patrick Marleau is off the books."

Good news.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, beboplar said:

"Free agent winger Justin Williams has resumed skating, reports TSN’s Frank Seravalli.  The 38-year-old announced last month that he was ‘stepping away’ from the game as he wasn’t quite ready to decide on his playing future at the time.  While this certainly doesn’t mean he’s coming back, it at least suggests that he’s open to the possibility.  Williams is believed to have spurned overtures from several teams over the summer and the belief at this time is that if he does return, it would only be with Carolina.  While the Hurricanes don’t have enough cap room to pay anywhere near the $4.5MM AAV he had on his last contract, they would be able to structure it with achievable performance bonuses that could be applied on their cap next season when the buyout of Patrick Marleau is off the books."

Good news.

Dear lord baby Jesus, all asleep in that manger...

A0AF82C0-A3C2-41BB-9885-799AA9D8D8D5.jpeg

• Like 1

Anyone doubt Williams won’t be back?  The suits clearly believe he can add something on a shortened basis as does Willy. Then he calls it a career. I just don’t see pay being an issue. He’s not coming back for the dough. When he walks into the dressing room he becomes de facto Captain. That will give Staal more time to practice looking at the camera longer than 1.5 seconds and give an insightful response a la Williams and Ronnie Hainesy. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Anyone doubt Williams won’t be back?  The suits clearly believe he can add something on a shortened basis as does Willy. Then he calls it a career. I just don’t see pay being an issue. He’s not coming back for the dough. When he walks into the dressing room he becomes de facto Captain. That will give Staal more time to practice looking at the camera longer than 1.5 seconds and give an insightful response a la Williams and Ronnie Hainesy. 

I think Jordan Staal would gladly bequest the captaincy back to JW should he return for a final run.  I have been thinking all along that this would happen about New Year's, but with this news I am now hoping for Dec 1.

2 hours ago, beboplar said:

Good news.

OMG, that would be the creme de la creme for this season. Hope he has not gotten too far out of shape. Justin Williams come on down!!!

So, 3 for 3 this weekend is not bad!! Local HS rem won a critical 2A matchup, LSU squeaks by a good Auburn team and finally the Canes LOOK to be getting untracked albeit against Chicago? Now if Panthers win in San Fran, the weekend is really complete.

Back to the roller coaster ride that is Justin Williams, I wonder where it is that he supposedly is training/skating? And his sighting at a Checkers game, whats that all about? Is it just organization related (i.e. unofficial scouting for Rod), coincidence or possibly working out in relative anonymity? I wish we could just get something definitive. No doubt, should he come back, it would be not unlike Cole's reappearance in 06.

22 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

I dont see williams coming back just to take the Captaincy  away from Jordan ,

If anything  the reason why  Williams would come back is so that he would not be put under any  burdened to take the responsibilities  that all comes with being the teams Captain 

just be one of the guys in the locker room  Like how he originally wanted . 

If he knew Brind'Amour would be asking  him to be the Captain again  I think Williams  would not even  play his final year out  because  it would cause a rift   between Staal  and the team . 

That is the last thing  Brind'Amour wants to do  based on the evidence that we all have seen that Brind'Amour admires  Staal  . 

I agree  with the idea that Justin would not come in  and take over the captaincy mid season.  I think he would refuse to do that. 

His roll would be mentor. And what a great thing it would be if you came in and mentor the current leader ship without even taking a letter.  And that would be in keeping with classic Justin Williams in my opinion. 

21 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

OMG, that would be the creme de la creme for this season. Hope he has not gotten too far out of shape. Justin Williams come on down!!!

Imo let’s stay moved on. Chemistry on a team is a strange thing and hard to capture. The longer we go the better off we will be not going back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cc said:

Imo let’s stay moved on. Chemistry on a team is a strange thing and hard to capture. The longer we go the better off we will be not going back.

While I see your point on this cc, I just don't see Justin Williams as a disrupter of this team's chemistry? I mean its not like he is walking into the group as a fresh face, but rather figuratively like a old shoe who would be welcomed back into the fold with I'd imagine open arms. His zeal no doubt would be infectious, and mentorship invaluable? Sure, not taking part in preseason training as well as the 1st part of the season would mean that he'd have to develop new ties, but 3 Stanley Cup rings and 3 different teams, as well as being another voice for the coach to get his messages across would go a long way to easing him back into the room.

• Like 1

I hope Justin comes back. If he does, he’s going to be a team leader with or without a letter. And I think he and Jordan Staal will have zero issues no matter how the captaincy is handled. They both want to win. I don’t think Willy comes back unless he believes the team has a shot to go all the way. Hopefully he is just sparing himself a couple months wear and tear to be ready for an extended postseason.

• Like 4

On 10/23/2019 at 10:14 PM, KJUNKANE said:

Yep, preceded Darling, and as legend points out, the acronym stands for He Who Shall Not Be Named, referring to Alexander Semin. We acquired him from the Caps back in the day, and he was on fire to start out, quickly prompting our fearless GM leader to extend him a completely insane contract which we are still suffering thru. Of course HWSNBN never lived up to that contract, prompting his buyout a few years later to get rid of his miserable *&%#, so as not to contaminate any impressionable player with the art of slacking. Meanwhile that fearless GM has gone on to greener pastures, leaving those who've followed to suffer thru the foibles he created, and HWSNBN to frolic about in the lap of luxury provided by the stupidity that was/is Jim Rutherford. That deal culminated many other contracts that extended variable contract trade restrictions which in large part, IMHO, helped this franchise suffer thru the 9 year wasteland of no playoffs. And there you have why there is such emotion attached to HWSNBN!! But you likely knew most of that? 

Ah, ok....gotcha!

Knew about the Semin bust, but never was familiar with the HWSNBN acronym.

I see how this applies to Mongo as well (and I too prefer Mongo over Darling), because a darling of a goaltender not he was.

Edited by CanesFan2003

29 minutes ago, CanesFan2003 said:

Ah, ok....gotcha!

Knew about the Semin bust, but never was familiar with the HWSNBN acronym.

I see how this applies to Mongo as well (and I too prefer Mongo over Darling), because a darling of a goaltender not he was.

I actually liked Briscoe better than Mongo.

8 hours ago, cc said:

A distraction we dont need.  

That distraction largely got us to the conference finals last year.

This team lacks leadership. It has taken strides, but the difference between the loss to the Ducks and the loss to CBJ put that fact in stark relief. The Anaheim game was over after one period because their veteran leaders understand how to shut teams down, and ours couldn't (or didn't) calm the guys down and get them refocused. The game in Columbus should have been over when we scored three straight after giving up the first goal. All it took was keeping the foot on the gas. Instead we let them back in and lost. Veteran leadership might have changed both results. 

And how bringing back a guy who can still clearly play and has the respect of every guy in the room (and every fan in the stands) is a distraction... well, you're gonna have to explain that one to me.

• Like 2