The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

In a lot of ways it really makes a lot of sense for a guy in his age/situation to do this. That is a physical game. A former NFL football player I played golf with said, "Hockey? Those guys are nuts." Pre-season, 82 games regular season, then playoffs. I'm surprised more guys his age don't try to do this. And this team fought the back half of the season like playoffs, and then went three rounds deep. 

I really do hope he comes back, but he is not knocking Necas out anymore, so unless an injury opens things up, I guess either McGinn or Foegele might have to rotate in the press box once Martinook gets back. 

From a timing perspective, after the new year might be good in the sense of injecting some life as it starts to grind. 

Here's something that popped into my head. So far the Storm Surges have all been very simple. Maybe their waiting for J Williams return to unleash the theatrical ones. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Heard from a friend of an acquaintance with questionable ties to Calgary that with 7 goals and 2 assists this season Lindholm has bought a box of white strips. We’ll see come Wednesday when someone knocks him in the yap for his cheap a$$ skol clap last season. 

More on that in a minute when I post the GDT

If Willy comes back I'm not particularly worried about spots.  For one thing, it's highly unlikely that we'll be as lucky as last year with regard to injuries (or lack thereof).  Does anybody project Haula and Dzingle playing close to a full slate this year?  In addition to covering "traditional" injuries, I also kind of like the idea of having the luxury to give dinged up players more recovery time throughout the season than we have in the past.  

Secondly, with Foegele not grabbing the reins, it's pretty clear to me that we could use one more higher end forward.  I love McGinn on the 4th line, but not higher unless filling in for an injured player.  I'm in agreement with those who think the key won't be chemistry, but rather how much gas Willy has left in the tank. 

I'd take Justin Williams all day every day and all day on Sunday if it's the JW of last season.  That keeps McGinn and Foegele out of the top-6 and Marty learning on the third line while making the PP a plus from last year.

The whole situation is weird for me, and I can certainly appreciate what cc was opining.

• Like 3

A left winger at $5,5mil? Certainly will not replace Haula or Teravainen, so thus likely is 3rd liner? Not sure how to justify his salary for likely 3rd liner? Further McGinn seems to be a Brindy favorite thus only one to replace is Foegele, who has his moments though not scoring like Zucker, but surely costs several million less. Bottom line, pass

• Like 1

Not finding a thread and not sure where to ask. Has anyone gotten/taken the arena improvement survey. I was interested to learn my survey as a STH was different than friends who no longer own Tix and my mom who just uses one of mine when they are available.

5 hours ago, caneswincup said:

Not finding a thread and not sure where to ask. Has anyone gotten/taken the arena improvement survey. I was interested to learn my survey as a STH was different than friends who no longer own Tix and my mom who just uses one of mine when they are available.

Yes.  Got one.  And it was very clear to single me out as a STH/Mer.

Waiting for the "player safety committee" to step in and deem Svech's bag of tricks(Forslund) unsafe, in lieu of the danger of swatting the GT in the mask. Wouldn't be righteous, but I wouldn't put it past them either.

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Me too

2 hours ago, 2ndsacker said:

Waiting for the "player safety committee" to step in and deem Svech's bag of tricks(Forslund) unsafe, in lieu of the danger of swatting the GT in the mask. Wouldn't be righteous, but I wouldn't put it past them either.

If Svech continues doing that move throughout the year I bet it's banned or deemed a form of highsticking in the rulebook by next season. He's going to peg some goalies in the face doing it, the risk of his stick blade going through the goalie's eye openings is very high those openings are meant for pucks not sticks purposely being put in your face.

FWIW based on the sound of the replay, Svech smoked Rittichs mask doing the move.

Late to the party! What a game last night against a good Calgary team. 

What else is there to say? Svech and Aho are getting better and better, while the rest of the team does their thing. Love where we're at and feel there is still room to continue getting better. 

8-3-1 October is good start to the season.  It is encouraging that the team has done that despite Aho being tied for 4th in goals with 3 (2 ENs) and 7th in points with 6 and Nino only having one goal.  We have the next 4 weeks to really gel as a team and get everyone's confidence up.  Hopefully, get Aho and Nino going as well.

We have 5 of 6 points in our 5 week stretch of easier games. 

Detroit B2B NJD, @ Philly, NYR, @Ottawa, Ottawa, @Buf, @ min, @chicago, Philly, Florida, @DET, @Rangers.  then the schedule gets tough.  18 points out of 26 seems like a big ask but it is easier than most 13 game stretches.  We only have one B2B with only 3 games per week. The last Rangers game is a start of a 3 games in 4 days as we have Nashville B2B @Tampa next. 

Edited by gocanes0506

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

FWIW based on the sound of the replay, Svech smoked Rittichs mask doing the move.

Could this be qualified as follow through which is not a high stick?

19 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Could this be qualified as follow through which is not a high stick?

Possibly, it's a shot on paper but not really a shot in spirit. 

It'll be a non issue if Svech goes a long time between attempts but if he starts smacking goalies regularly in the face I see the goalie on the safety committee complaining about it and likely getting his way.

2 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Possibly, it's a shot on paper but not really a shot in spirit. 

It'll be a non issue if Svech goes a long time between attempts but if he starts smacking goalies regularly in the face I see the goalie on the safety committee complaining about it and likely getting his way.

i dont see where Svech hits the goalie's mask.  I see that the puck hits off the back of the mask when going in.  The tip of the stick taps Rittich on the shoulder.  

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 8:23 AM, wxray1 said:

And this is where I totally agree, cc.  I'm warming up to the idea of JW, but come on, EDIT or get off the pot.  Stop the uncertainty.

I moved on the day I heard he was taking some time off. Either you have the drive,health and passion for a full season or you don't. I'm sure he will be welcomed by most but I'm  not one who is pumped for his possible return. Paying players who are undetermined if they want to commit to the grind for a full season is not my cup of tea. If he does decide to come back how long does it take to get in game shape? After 1-2 months does he then decide he just doesn't have the same drive? This is where a possible distraction could come into play. I realize  this scenario is against JW'S makeup but age does funny things to the mind and body.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

i dont see where Svech hits the goalie's mask.  I see that the puck hits off the back of the mask when going in.  The tip of the stick taps Rittich on the shoulder.  

And IF a player interferred with the goalies ability to play the puck due to a stick in the mask there would be a penalty called and No goal.

34 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I see what you see, but theres a pretty loud clap as he whips the puck into the goal, pretty sure it's his mask and not the pipe. If Rittich hadn't moved out of natural reaction it would have been all face.

23 minutes ago, cc said:

And IF a player interferred with the goalies ability to play the puck due to a stick in the mask there would be a penalty called and No goal.

Do you tell a goalie to risk injury (eye(more likely)/concussion(less likely)) so that the goalie interference rules can be initiated? 

Edit: Sitting on it and thinking about it I suppose any penalty isn't a penalty until the action occurs. But I think it would fall under incidental contact rather then getting a penalty and I think if you smoke the goalie in the face you should get a minor.

Edited by legend-1

20 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Do you tell a goalie to risk injury (eye(more likely)/concussion(less likely)) so that the goalie interference rules can be initiated? 

Do you establish so many rules you ruin the game or allow it to be played with some semblance of freedom?  Perhaps if the puck accidentally hits the goalie in the mask it should be a penalty(AKA NFL hand hitting quarterbacks helmet) as an illustration. The NFL is a perfect example where the game is on the way to being ruined completely.(IMO).   But agree to disagree.   

3 minutes ago, cc said:

Do you establish so many rules you ruin the game or allow it to be played with some semblance of freedom?  Perhaps if the puck accidentally hits the goalie in the mask it should be a penalty(AKA NFL hand hitting quarterbacks helmet) as an illustration. The NFL is a perfect example where the game is on the way to being ruined completely.(IMO).   But agree to disagree.   

I suppose we agree to disagree, but where you said puck did you mean stick? I'm concerned about the aftermath of the stick not the puck, the puck's just normal gameplay.

6 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Friends who are former STH survey asked the same question about the social zone and when they said no interest, they were asked to indicate where they would consider sitting.

They picked our section (111). Follow up question asked if they would be willing to spend $8,500/seat, including food. When they said no, they were asked what about for $8,000, third and last time after no, $7,500.

Our seats are currently around $3,000 ea. So nearly triple?! We don’t often eat at the arena and we do not drink. If this is their go forward reality, we’ll be former STH after 20 years as we won’t move sections.

One more check mark in the ownership is positioning us for a move. I cannot see our market supporting that sort of price increase.

On the plus side, when my mom got her survey (non STH version), she was able to rail against no cup holders in my section again.