The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

30 minutes ago, caneswincup said:

They picked our section (111). Follow up question asked if they would be willing to spend $8,500/seat, including food. When they said no, they were asked what about for $8,000, third and last time after no, $7,500.

Our seats are currently around $3,000 ea. So nearly triple?! We don’t often eat at the arena and we do not drink. If this is their go forward reality, we’ll be former STH after 20 years as we won’t move sections.

I don't recall specific numbers in my survey!  It was more of a "higher" type wording.

Maybe that's because we have a part plan now and sit up 3rd level.  There's a note for those of us that says: "Cheap, don't bother asking $10,000 questions."  :)

• Like 1

yea @caneswincup those prices were pretty high on the STH requests.  

We need about 10 years of really good hockey and a couple of cup runs in there before we draw the interest of big rollers.  

They did similar when they were drawing out the new press box with multiple club level options for ECU.

Now if they had their own entrance and exit lane from the game to go along with those glass tickets or club seats, they might draw some attention.  

1 hour ago, caneswincup said:

Our seats are currently around $3,000 ea. So nearly triple?! We don’t often eat at the arena and we do not drink. If this is their go forward reality, we’ll be former STH after 20 years as we won’t move sections.

I could be wrong but dont think this was the intent of this survey.  It was to see what the interest in luxury seating relative to the current levels and therefore if a redesign should include and how many of these upgraded seating options would be supported.  If they don't see sufficient interest for a "super snooterville" it would make no sense to design this in and have no one buy them.  There was one question that said if an upgrade of 100 million or more was undertaken what %age price increase might be tolerated per seat.  

14 minutes ago, cc said:

I could be wrong but dont think this was the intent of this survey.  It was to see what the interest in luxury seating relative to the current levels and therefore if a redesign should include and how many of these upgraded seating options would be supported.  If they don't see sufficient interest for a "super snooterville" it would make no sense to design this in and have no one buy them.  There was one question that said if an upgrade of 100 million or more was undertaken what %age price increase might be tolerated per seat.  

I agree.

I got the "%" question. 

Got rained out of work today. So I'm fessing up, I must have watched "the goal" 30 times today. Come on, who else.:ohyeah: And caught the Roddy room remarks. And wow, how odd Marty looks sitting there in a suit/tie with everyone else in various stages of locker room. And Mrazek's comments on Svech. "Ah, he's just a kid. he's got lots of those things he tries"   LOL

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I agree.

I got the "%" question. 

Are you current STH (at any level), former, neither? I got the questions the: social zone and luxury boxes but not the ones they did that mentioned actuaL dollar amounts.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, caneswincup said:

Are you current STH (at any level), former, neither? I got the questions the: social zone and luxury boxes but not the ones they did that mentioned actuaL dollar amounts.

I am current, at 11 games.  Was previously full and 26.

I got the same questions as you.  Social and boxes, percentages, but no dollar amounts.

3 hours ago, cc said:

Yeah, I agree as well and also got the % question.

Edited by coastal_caniac

For any Mrazek fans I was coming back to Praha from Budapest on Czech Airlines with my wife, opened the in-flight mag and saw this spread on Petr. They love his six over here. If Top sees this your only allowed to read the Czech columns. On a side saw the Canes/Jackets in Dresden in a sports bar. Made the Pilsner taste better. The boys are everywhere. 

CD21F689-0F72-4756-9AF7-8A11AAE0F3D4.jpeg

79C12CBA-3B99-4E12-9FA4-7B56536C9A9E.jpeg

09B93AA5-83DE-436E-AF4B-F66498DEBC6F.jpeg

• Like 3

On 10/30/2019 at 1:09 AM, caneswincup said:

Not finding a thread and not sure where to ask. Has anyone gotten/taken the arena improvement survey. I was interested to learn my survey as a STH was different than friends who no longer own Tix and my mom who just uses one of mine when they are available.

Got one as well as a former full STH. Very detailed pricing. Could not believe some of the high pricing options. Most of my replies were a nada as my wallet doesn't have a slot for fat stacks.

For me, this 2 to finish the homestand against teams who total points combined don't equal ours, is the best chance they may have all season in a short turnaround box, to show what measure of killer instinct is developing. Not to be confused with Killer instinct in playoffs(different animal entirely), there is a regular season swagger that teams that begin to separate themselves in early season need and need to put on display when given such a "jump out at you" opportunity. Of course all teams are capable of putting together 60 minutes as we all know and beating good teams , and they do, but this just looks like statement material to me. I'll be mad and ordering drinks in 112 if they don't make that statement. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Invites to a focus group on PNC improvements are out.  I got one, have to check my calendar.

Sounds like fun.  Threw my name in da hat.

For their most recent league power rankings, ESPN also listed the monster (or monster movie) that they felt best corresponded to each team.  Here's what they had for the Canes:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27967427/nhl-power-rankings-1-31-poll-plus-team-halloween-monster

4. Carolina Hurricanes

Previous ranking: 5

Blair Witch. Reinventing how to create a frighteningly successful, fiscally responsible monster before our very eyes.

Edited by LakeLivin

Some thoughts from Sea. Part One. (Yes, a little longer, have some time).

1. Technology can be near miraculous and insanely frustrating, at the exact same time. The stream for the game last night kept freezing. And yet, here I am streaming the Hurricanes out in the Atlantic Ocean on a ship. 

2. I think it's almost time to ask, does anyone still not believe? Pats self on the back. Yeah, it's not good form, but to our perma-bear posters: told you this team was for real. Most of the major pundits are jumping on board now. 

3. This team is not at peak form yet. I think these next few games against some weaker teams could help the few guys who haven't gotten there yet, last night started it.

4. Dougie, freaking Hamilton. This guy is making being a Canes' fan a major joy. Here's a guy with Norris caliber talent (now John and Trip are using the word), but apparently misunderstood or different, or whatever might have made him a bit uncomfortable with teams, two of whom have bailed on him already. He probably didn't want to be traded here (guess), but he gets here, and is embraced by this team and fans, starts feeling great and fitting in and now?

#2 D man in points, 1.23 ppg

#2 D man in goals

#1 D man in +/- (tie)

Even with Carlson on an epic run, Dougie is only about 4 points behind him adjusting for games played. He is, at present, the best player on the team. And that's saying something.

5. Aho's game has been coming on before last night, but the 2 goal, 3 point night will really help. And this team has been winning with half of it's Aho tied behind it's back, but he's freed now.

6. The top 5 teams in the NHL by points percentage are all in the East. The Canes are #4. 

7. Our PP has floated back up and now sits at #8 and 24%. Those are heady for us, and can better IMO. PK is #12, but has been very good lately and will probably rise also. The special teams index is 108 (supposedly want to be above 100). 

8. Team is #7 in goals against per game, and #9 in goals for per game. We allow the 5th fewest shots in the league. This is interesting to me because we are not a trapping defensive team. The pressure game is keeping teams in their own end or broken up at center ice, and not able to get cleanly set up in our end as easily as vs other teams.

9. We are #25 in hits. I guess this means we could use some more, and having Martinook out hurts this, but I'm really starting to think that while teams do have to have some edge, being big, mean and intimidating is overrated. Speed and skill kills physical as long as the team is not wilting violets, which they are not. In an attempt not to start another size vs skill debate, overrated does not mean of no importance, just less than people think.

10. When this team starts firing at full effect, there are going to be more 6-7 goal games. We have 4 elite skilled forwards, at least two elite D men, and so much depth under them it's amazing.

• Like 2

Agreed. All those years petering on the brink of mediocrity makes this look almost surreal. Ever tightening lines that look like any one of them at least has capability of exploding into 2nd periods like last night. D was loose but the game turned into that fairly early, and as Roddy said, we CAN play that way too, but obviously don't wanna sustain it. 8 assists(that I counted)from the blue line has about gotta be another franchise record. And it takes on the look of sets of contributory parts, almost interchangeable on any given night. Been with you all along on the "for real" designation, and I like watching it mature in team camaraderie and on ice production. Road trips are fun again. And I would agree on #9 too. It's becoming less and less a factor with where the league is headed skillwise. Need SOME, but it won't break you not having it in abundance.

Edited by 2ndsacker

The volume of hits isn't as important as hitting that results in gaining puck control, as on a forecheck, or disrupting the oppositions control in our end. With our speed and skill, we need to deliver hits with a purpose, not just to intimidate the other team. 

2 minutes ago, AssistantGM said:

The volume of hits isn't as important as hitting that results in gaining puck control, as on a forecheck, or disrupting the oppositions control in our end. With our speed and skill, we need to deliver hits with a purpose, not just to intimidate the other team. 

True, but it's harder to find those stats. Are we near the top of the league in doing that? If not, we're making up for it in other ways.

4 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

It's scary and easy to forget the kid is only 19. It is very evident that the strength he has acquired from last year to this year. The kid is a beast.

Since about mid last season, I've been telling non-Canes fans on other boards that Svech is going to be a beast.  So we can declare him officially arrived? :woohoo:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Since about mid last season, I've been telling non-Canes fans on other boards that Svech is going to be a beast.  So we can declare him officially arrived? :woohoo:

All I know is he’s gonna get PAID after next year 

I know there are a few other Browns fans here so. Read ESPN's hockey column this week. They asked players about impulse buys. One of the quotes came from Hadyen Fluery he bought 3 Browns jerseys while browsing Amazon one night

We earned the 4 points we needed this week. After beating the Flames, I was hoping to get at least 5 points.  4 points keeps us on pace. Really need to beat this bad teams.  

6 points are there this week with @Philly, NYR and at Sens with a day between them.    Need at least 4 again.  

to see how crazy things are right now, we’ve gone 3-1-1 over the last 5 and lost ground in the standings.