The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

53 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

to see how crazy things are right now, we’ve gone 3-1-1 over the last 5 and lost ground in the standings. 

Bleeping Aisles!

NYI have won 9 in a row. What the..is Trotz that great? Must be. They are +11 goal diff, yet 9 in a row. And their next game is at home vs Ottawa. We are still #7 in the NHL, but unfortunately at the moment, #2 and #3 are in our division.

Just keep the pace and we'll be fine. 

I think most of the guys who we needed to get going points-wise are warming up. In some ways, Staal is the main guy who could use some points. Nino and Foegele are off the pace, but have scored recently. Necas is on a 47 point pace. He should go over 40 pretty safely. If Staal and Nino get going, we have 8 forwards with 40+ point real potential, and of course everyone in our top 9 if J Williams returns. I haven't looked at every team in the NHL, but I'm guessing there is no team that can go 8 deep up front (let alone 9) with 40 plus point players. Then their's Dougy, Slavin and the rest of the D. 

As always it will come down to goaltending. And at the moment my only concern is backup goaltending. Reimer had to play after a long layoff, but I want to see a good game from him his next outing. He's been up and down. 

I guess the other thing is just tightening up our team game. We've been getting a bit loose. I like us to be loose in general, but there is a point where it's too loose. 

We are for real though, and that, is fun.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, remkin said:

As always it will come down to goaltending.

On this subject rem, or anyone, particularly anyone like you realm who's our "eye in the sky" so to speak with the Checkers, how is Forsberg trending? More importantly, could he be a lifeline should Reimer falter going down the stretch? I can only hope so, looking at the brutality of the late season schedule (as I posted elsewhere), particularly in the critical month of March? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

On this subject rem, or anyone, particularly anyone like you realm who's our "eye in the sky" so to speak with the Checkers, how is Forsberg trending? More importantly, could he be a lifeline should Reimer falter going down the stretch? I can only hope so, looking at the brutality of the late season schedule (as I posted elsewhere), particularly in the critical month of March? 

Possibly. He’d have to be worth keeping.  Have to pass through waivers to go back down.

16 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Back down?? You mean back up  don't you, or am I confused?

No. I mean if he comes up, he needs to be worth keeping the rest of the season. If not, we’ll have to hope he can pass through waivers.

35 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

No. I mean if he comes up, he needs to be worth keeping the rest of the season. If not, we’ll have to hope he can pass through waivers.

Ah, okay I see and agree. So, is he at that level which would mean shuffling Reimer somewhere also, but if Forsberg is the real deal, it could reap great benefits in terms of post season?

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Ah, okay I see and agree. So, is he at that level which would mean shuffling Reimer somewhere also, but if Forsberg is the real deal, it could reap great benefits in terms of post season?

On the one hand, Forsberg is 4-1-0.  On the other hand, he's got a 3.09 GA average and a .895 save percentage, neither of which is exactly sparkling.  

Ned: 0-4-1  3.85 GAA   .874 s%  :o

I know the composition of the  team is markedly different, but Forsberg's stats make meI wonder if the Chex are playing a different style game than they did last year.  Aren't they supposed to mimic the  Canes game to facilitate moves between the two orgnaizations?  Realm, you've seen the team, any thoughts?

Edited by LakeLivin

31 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

On the one hand, Forsberg is 4-1-0.  On the other hand, he's got a 3.09 GA average and a .895 save percentage, neither of which is exactly sparkling.  

Ned: 0-4-1  3.85 GAA   .874 s%  :o

I know the composition of the  team is markedly different, but Forsberg's stats make meI wonder if the Chex are playing a different style game than they did last year.  Aren't they supposed to mimic the  Canes game to facilitate moves between the two orgnaizations?  Realm, you've seen the team, any thoughts?

While I'm not realm Lake, but I'm sure you are as aware as I of the vast difference between the current Checkers and those of last year, not only in players but also coaches. i'd submit that this vast change is responsible for Ned's falloff as well as Forsberg's lagging stats (not that this is not something you've considered)? 

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

While I'm not realm Lake, but I'm sure you are as aware as I of the vast difference between the current Checkers and those of last year, not only in players but also coaches. i'd submit that this vast change is responsible for Ned's falloff as well as Forsberg's lagging stats (not that this is not something you've considered)? 

Sure, I'm aware of all the changes.  I just wonder why Forsberg has what on the surface look like awful numbers but is still 4-1.  One possible explanation would be more of a run and gun style than last year.  (I'm not saying that's the case, just wondering) 

Edited by LakeLivin

25 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Sure, I'm aware of all the changes.  I just wonder why Forsberg has what on the surface looks like awful numbers but is still 4-1.  One possible explanation would be more of a run and gun style than last year.  (I'm not saying that's the case, just wondering) 

I knew you were aware Lake , and was not questioning that (hope you didn't think I was). I also think your "run and gun" analysis makes alot of sense, and does echo something I think Forslund said the other night regarding the difference in energies between us and New Jersey. 

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I've only made it to 2 games so far this season, one game each from Forsberg and Ned, so my sample size isn't really big enough to speak for either of them taking Reimer's spot.  Both looked decent enough in their one game.  Ned took a loss while Forsberg got a win, but it was because he was pretty much the only Checker to show up for most of the game and he still managed to give his disinterested teammates a chance to win the game.  He wasn't Hasek mind you, but at least he showed up.

Edited by realmdrakkar

Yeah the article has quotes, and in Boston they think the Bruins are making them miserable on purpose. Hmmm the Bruins are doing pretty well...:letssee:

• Like 1

I see the problems all as attention to detail and all easily fixable and "the little things". STOP the cutesy drop and no look passes. CLEAR the puck when it's on your stick.(bad clears killing us and reducing jump) STICK penalties when there's no high danger. THREE simple things cleaned up and no team with less depth of lines can beat you and few can even stay with you. AND if you're gonna use the vertical flip to clear, throw IT further than the blue line. IT AIN'T rocket science. FOREST was right. "Stupid is as stupid does" Another thing that has just bugged me all along so far. If i had to guess without researching every single GA in 15 games, I'd say only about 20% have been shots that actually BEAT our goalie in position. Just to name a few of the other 80% would be weird bounces, scrambles with pucks bouncing onto sticks of net mongers out of masses of humanity, endboard rebounds, and the most awkward of all, the undefendable DEFLECTIONs. I know a lot disagree but I just don't see that much poor play on the whole. I see a lot of lackadaisical mistakes from a group whose praising and expectation from the league may have gone to their heads a little. GET back to simple, hard nosed structure, clean crisp passes (WHEN THEY'RE THERE),  SPEED and smart hockey. The little things don't fix themselves when talent and capability have been elevated. THAT requires work in anything you do.

• Like 1

Some trade talk  about the canes  is going around lately   .    TVR  and  Fleury are among the two suspects   possibly being dealt  for a top 9 forward , possibly  right handed shot .    Are the Ducks still interested in  trading Kase ? 

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Eetu’s called up from Charlotte...guess Haula is gonna be out for a bit?

Really surprised it is Eetu that got the call. First year on NA ice and takes a bunch penalties.

solid 4 minutes tomorrow?

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Really surprised it is Eetu that got the call. First year on NA ice and takes a bunch penalties.

solid 4 minutes tomorrow?

LOL, at least we replaced one Finn with the other :D

And at least we gonna have a look at him at NHL level, rather than simply going with 11 forwards again... He always can sit anyway. 

On 11/6/2019 at 1:39 PM, gocanes0506 said:

pretty big margin between us and the top 2.  Im good with us being the worst in that regard.

Dont even give them running water,😁

• Like 1