The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Dont even give them running water,😁

So you are in favor of the Major League approach? Give them the Indians treatment?

Let's just hope it doesn't give them the same motivation😁

11 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

So you are in favor of the Major League approach? Give them the Indians treatment?

Let's just hope it doesn't give them the same motivation😁

I’m all for teams suffering from propeller lag coming into PNC arena ;)

As for a trading partner. I’m thinking of the Blackhawks again. I would like a Tom Wilson type player....Andrew Shaw. We need real “jerk” to get into opponents heads. He’s our guy. Either of the two defensemen for him. 

Like Wilson he can put some points on the board too.

44 minutes ago, BadgerCane1958 said:

As for a trading partner. I’m thinking of the Blackhawks again. I would like a Tom Wilson type player....Andrew Shaw. We need real “jerk” to get into opponents heads. He’s our guy. Either of the two defensemen for him. 

Like Wilson he can put some points on the board too.

Andrew shaw would be solid. A righty as well.

1 minute ago, sleekfeeder said:

I haven't been impressed with Dzingo unchained nor Gardiner.

Dz has been decent...other than that OT goal vs the Craps, Gardiner has been more a liability than an asset 

So far i'd have to say outside of Haula, i was more-impressed with the committee's trades/signings last offseason than this offseason, and that includes Charlotte as well as Raleigh.

This is me ranting after some sleep.

There are just so many variables in hockey that just don't exist in any other sports, IMO. It makes a hockey team, in this regard, harder to go all in with and always remain a faithful supporter and die hard fan. It's literally a game where you can dominate another team for 59 minutes, having one player put up a wall of protection for an entire team for that entire time, then let down for 10 seconds and lose 1-0. In most sports when that sort of thing happens, it is miraculous. In hockey, it's subject to happen at any given moment and almost just another ho hum whatever moment.  And its painful. LOL. I've watched sports for over 50 years and been all in on a few different teams, though hockey and the Canes are the only thing I even give a hoot about watching and following anymore, and if I've learned one thing, the nature of the game creates waves of satisfaction like no other, but likewise, waves of despair to match. I guess that's a balance. That leads me to conclude, that it really IS the greatest spectator sport of all, and the hardest one in which to remain loyal and faithful to a team of your choice, whatever your reasoning for that choice. I'm a native Carolinian, always loved hockey, and was never more satisfied with sports fandom than when we got our own team here in the toughest sports league in the world. I remain forever faithful, and in 50+ years have also learned, I, have to level the emotion as much as a game like this will permit, though that ain't much. I stand firmly that this is a team of great potential, learning as they go with new faces and youngsters finding their way, a head coach that I believe can and will do as much as is in his power and expertise to develop and synchronize the great skill and ability that we now have here. Will it reach great levels. Maybe, maybe not, but they have decidedly done what I can only and have always asked of sports. Give me something to believe in, give me valid reasons(not whim and prayer) to believe it, then grow in the same expectations that I have. The CAROLINA HURRICANES PASS THAT EYE TEST. And from the eye test of the past 18 months and direction its all been moving, I believe. If underachievement is what happens, then so be it, but it won't be the years of underachievement with hopes dashed weekly. It would take all season, and then the next one too.

Edited by 2ndsacker
  • Like 4

I think what  the Hurricanes are going through is that  early mid season slump they tend to take .   Once Haula  and Martinook are both back   that's when i hope things will get back on track with the team winning  .    I would say   that Reimer or the new  canes away jerseys don't help the canes much .   If things continue to fall  in this direction  I would be hard pressed to believe that this team is capable of making back to the playoffs this year .     Is that  what is intended ?  I hope not  !  

5 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

Agree with surfzone here - this team needs to learn to win without JW. 

Update: I’m still ****** off about that game 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, surfzone365 said:

Update: I’m still ****** off about that game 

I’m still ****** about the last three...

• Like 3

If the team rises or falls with what JW does, we are screwed. Until further notice, he’s not on the team. Quite a few well compensated players, with or without letters, need to step up and lead the team. If with this level of talent we can’t win without Willy, our success will be short lived, because if he does come back some time this year, you can be sure he will not be back again. CFF, I’m no fan of the new away uniforms, but they are not costing us games. A lot of mental errors are the culprit. We need to get some swagger back with 2 wins against Ottawa and go from there.

• Like 2

Aho is over rated. Can’t believe some were calling for this guy with his exceedingly poor English to be Captain. 4th line completely embarrassed the Aho line last night. 

Canes are putting the “No” in November.   There are so many leaks in the S.S. Carolina, it is hard to know where to begin.  Mediocre to bad goaltending, especially in backup, some injuries (was Martinook that critical to the team’s success?  Maybe so!), defensive breakdowns, and offense that can’t finish.  Now sitting out of a playoff spot and one game above .500.  Season’s crossroad ahead in these games before Thanksgiving.

To Bad for Tom Dundon spending all this money for a bunch of jerks who cant play together..  (So far it looks like Montreal got the better of the deal over the summer.).. Setting the rant to the side, im wondering if any of the coaches really have any idea what this teams problem is? As a professional arm chair know it all, I have no idea..

I think the blame lies everywhere. Our vaunted D has given up lots of grade A chances, especially to mediocre teams. Our scorers from last year are not scoring. Turnovers and sloppy passes abound. Every time we have a chance to clear the D zone and fail, I feel a goal against coming ... and it frequently does. We can’t finish periods strong, or for that matter start them strong. Our goalies have been hung out to dry a lot, but have also let in some stinkers. Rod has stuck with lines that aren’t working, even as we struggle to score against bottom dwellers. And our captain looks like he’d rather be surfing.

It’s gut check time before we sink to where we were last year in December. Two miracle comebacks in two years are not going to happen. I’m going to the game Monday night and we’ve won every game I’ve seen in person going back to the playoffs, so it’s time for our (cap not budget) team to give fans (and Tom Dundon) what they are paying for!

• Like 1

Mid season slump like i said guys .    The canes do this every year  !  im just surprised it came as early as it  did .    Normally  it happens in december  or january  or feb    and then the Canes pick up wins in the tale end  but barely miss the playoffs .    What last year shown the canes is   you need to have a team that can hold on the puck ,  not make stupid passes off to one another    and lastly   a back up goalie that can wins us some games . Reimer  is no Mcelhinney  , and anyone fooling themselves  before the season started  that  he would be as good   has left the chat   no where to be  seen . 

I don't get to see Canes games so I plea mea culpa that my comments stem from the stat sheets and from having followed this game for about 60 years.  The Canes are losing games, and things don't look up, but:

1) The NHL stands for parity.  Losses to the league's lepers could just as easily be followed by wins against the league's titans.

2) Aho seems to be playing like a young man burdened by the stress of the expectations that come with a big contract.  Oh, that's the case, so we just have to wait for him to overcome that.

3) Losing Haula from this offense for an extended period would not be good.

4) The Jake Gardiner signing appears to be a bad one.  His offensive game from the D has essentially replaced Faulk, but even the most active Faulk critics on this board can see he was more productive and played way more minutes.

5) Losing the physicality of JW, Ferland, and Saku has been a net negative compared to the addition of Haula (hurt), Dzingel, and Gardiner.

6) Every time Reimer gets a start, it is not like when Mac started last year.  I thought the Canes had just as much chance to win with Mac as with Petr.  This year I expect the Canes to lose with Reimer.

This is a team that should compete for a playoff spot if Haula's injury is short termed, and they get a productive JW back to help lead.  Otherwise, their one year return to the post season may take a break.

• Like 4

On 11/9/2019 at 7:03 PM, remkin said:

The Athletic has Dougy as #2 in the Norris race at this point in the season.

Ridiculous that the Norris is more about who the Dman is that puts up the most points.  The best defenseman award should go the player who is just that, and who can also contribute to some extent offensively. By that criteria Slavin would be a top 3 candidate; guy rarely, rarely, rarely gets beat and and also has goals and assists. I like Dougie but he goes out of his way to avoid contact in the corners or end boards when coming back for the puck and often cedes it to the forward breathing down his neck. Ovi exposed him in the playoffs last season and I watch that now with regularity. Nothing physical about his game at all and he's 6'6". Again, glad we have him for the points and PP but Norris? Don't think so.

• Like 1