The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

3 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Shut down guys are literally a dime a dozen  in the nhl

You know Cff, even though i get and respect where you are coming from, I rest my case with respect to "non-reactionary sanity". For instance, while others are raising the issue with Jordan Staal and how he "looks to be playing hurt", you are decrying his price tag. You seem to be concerned about "price tag", yet concede that we get 2 dead spaces (Marleau and HWSNBN) off the books next year, and further I believe it's being acknowledged that the Cap is set to go up? And finally, all these dime a dozen shut down players you've mentioned as replacements for players who are not producing in your opinion, as they should, who's to say they would fit this coach's and team's concept of their needs. It just seems like the immediate reaction you suggest to remedy a rough patch is more fantasy that reality.

4 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Shut down guys are literally a dime a dozen  in the nhl .   Martinook who the canes got for practically nothing  is a great addition  because of his locker room  presence  but on ice he is a perfect example  of who you could easily replace  someone with   (  what was his name who  the canes traded  for Marty ? ) .   Staal at the price tag he is under  im not a fan of .   Maybe something can be re-worked  once he becomes a ufa in the future .   McGinn   and Foegele  i believe could  be easily  replaced  for better players .   I think with how  tight  the cap is right now  that the canes wont be able to keep it's core  in the future .   I know people for years wanted to see the canes spend to the cap ,   The reason why im not a fan of doing that is because you end up with a toronto or vegas  problem  having to shed away key talented guy in the end ,     and  you have to think about    about future players that   do produce big numbers   ,   no one wants to see guy like that  have to find a new team to be with .   Next year is when HWSNBN  contract comes off  and Marleau's  contract  end  giving the canes what in cap space ?     it's better to think about it now than later .  just a suggestion . 

I’ll take a shot at this. On Martinook, it doesn’t matter who we traded to get him. Do you want to give Nino back for Rask? And I think Martinook put up 15 or 16 goals last year. McGinn has sometimes been playing above his weight with 2 forwards out, but I kind of liked him after game 7 in Washington. And the way he jumped in and took up for Gibbons speaks volumes. Foegele might also be playing above where he ought to be, but he was clutch in the playoffs last year. I don’t give up on that guy because he isn’t scoring in the first 15 games of the season. And all 3 of those guys are RB’s kind of players. I don’t think they’re going anywhere. As to Staal, I also wonder if he’s hurt. I also wonder if like his brother, the weight of the C is holding him down. Hopefully he gets back to his game soon. He’s never going to score a ton, but he usually does everything else well, and Rod never misses a chance to compliment him. Reimer is a different story. He was the cost of unloading Mongo. I wouldn’t say he’s been terrible, but not the steadying player that McE was last year for sure. BTW, last I checked, McE wasn’t doing so great in Tampa. If Ned or Forsberg start lighting it up, Reimer might be on his way out. Then again, we’re not using him as a 1B like we did McE. It’s a lot harder to be sharp when you only play every 5th game. It’s a long season. Judge these guys on a full body of work, not 18 games.

• Like 2

Is 6mil for Staal really overpaying for a guy we're that invested in? I suppose injury risk (multiple concussions) is a reason why he's "trended down" rather than his game itself. We miss him badly when he's out, mainly on D. One of our best players in the playoffs last year. 

38 minutes ago, thickburglar said:

Is 6mil for Staal really overpaying for a guy we're that invested in? I suppose injury risk (multiple concussions) is a reason why he's "trended down" rather than his game itself. We miss him badly when he's out, mainly on D. One of our best players in the playoffs last year. 

Problem is he’s becoming a huge liability against the boards.  And then there’s that NTC JR gave him 😡

1 minute ago, snuffy72 said:

I agree that Staal is hurt or something.  He just don't seem  with it .... at all !!

I don’t buy the injury...I think it’s more mental.  He’s changed his look over the summer and there’s something that seems aloof whenever he’s giving interviews nowadays.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Eetu sent back down to Charlotte.  I’d have sent Gibbons instead.

I would have kept them both and let them battle for ice.  Along with Foegele, McGinn, Walmart, and Nino.

Edited by cclifford10

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

I don’t buy the injury...I think it’s more mental.  He’s changed his look over the summer and there’s something that seems aloof whenever he’s giving interviews nowadays.

THIS.  I was shocked by the surfer dude look he came back with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

If Jordan's last name was Smith rather than Staal, he'd be a 2C or 3C who plays solid at both ends without much upside or downside. He's not a great leader, playmaker, or scorer, but he's dependable, good defensively, and is not going to make mistakes that cost games.

I agree that he seems a little different this year. Maybe he's still dealing with the loss of his child last year, and he certainly deserves to be cut a lot of slack after that. Maybe he's playing hurt. He seems lost or vacant in his post-game interviews.

Sometimes I wonder if he'd just rather be Jordan "Smith" and enjoy playing hockey as a solid 2C or 3C who doesn't have all the baggage that comes with being a Staal or wearing the C. Whatever is going on with him, I hope he finds his way—not because it will help the team, but just because he matters as a person.     

Edited by spyglass88
  • Like 8

I am just not sure why Eetu Luostarinen was sent back as he seemed to be nicely trending upward in his 3 games? I realize that Martinook, whom is it seems is really needed due to his locker room élan, is very close to returning, but Lousty appeared to my eyes to be outplaying several? Possibly Rod et al wanted to get Eetu to work on a few things, but I'm hoping he'll return soon.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I am just not sure why Eetu Luostarinen was sent back as he seemed to be nicely trending upward in his 3 games? I realize that Martinook, whom is it seems is really needed due to his locker room élan, is very close to returning, but Lousty appeared to my eyes to be outplaying several? Possibly Rod et al wanted to get Eetu to work on a few things, but I'm hoping he'll return soon.

Yea! 

Eetu......the poor man's Teuvo.

On 11/11/2019 at 2:09 PM, gocanes0506 said:

Williams ain’t coming back then.

I would think so, but why doesn't he just announce the retirement? What's with that "step away from hockey"?

I assume he is still on the contract and get paid?

10 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

I would think so, but why doesn't he just announce the retirement? What's with that "step away from hockey"?

I assume he is still on the contract and get paid?

He is UFA

39 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

You mean, currently? I.e. he has no contract at the moment?

Yes, he has no contract at all. Instead of signing with Canes or any other team before season start he said that he takes step away from hockey.

Edited by Bonivan

6 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Yes, he has no contract at all. Instead of signing with Canes or any other team before season start he said that he takes step away from hockey.

Thanks for clarification! This though is still puzzling me: say "I am done, thank you very much" and enjoy your retirement. 

Does he have any "agreement" with his buddy RB and the org, should he decide to return they will sign a contract? Because I am not sure any other team would...

The Williams thing goes back and forth with the little we know. Not long ago the team was leaking that Williams was skating and they thought he might be back and even speculated at least a Christmas time table. Then Brind'Amour puts out there that Williams seems to be enjoying coaching hockey and seems comfortable away from the game. But it's all guesswork, and who knows, maybe even gamesmanship. 

It makes for nice speculation, but none of us knows anything. 

• Like 1

JW is somewhat of a conundrum. If we are struggling at New Year’s, is a 38 year old guy going to walk into the locker room and turn things around? And if the season starts trending up, do you break up team chemistry to fit him back in? Or would he be ready in case we have a significant injury a la Erik Cole? Rod may know what Willy is planning to do and be planning accordingly. If he does, he sure isn’t going to share it with other teams and fans ahead of time. If he’s planning on playing by New Year’s, you’d think he’d have to be training hard right now, and that would be hard to hide since he lives in Raleigh. 

As we go through these troubling times just remember, there is no I in team.  But there is an I in Pie.  Meat Pie actually.  Meat spells team backwards.  The point of this post is well.  Yeah, you get the point.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

As we go through these troubling times just remember, there is no I in team.  But there is an I in Pie.  Meat Pie actually.  Meat spells team backwards.  The point of this post is well.  Yeah, you get the point.

No???????