The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Okay, so back to hockey. I know that our lineup for opening night is about set in stone, and pretty much our team for the year. However, seeing the list of players placed on waivers, I wonder if there's anyone there that we might think about?

6 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Okay, so back to hockey. I know that our lineup for opening night is about set in stone, and pretty much our team for the year. However, seeing the list of players placed on waivers, I wonder if there's anyone there that we might think about?

I don't know at this point. We seem to be having enough trouble becoming CAP compliant. I suppose we could but I some how doubt it. On the other hand if we have learned one thing about Waddell isn't shy making unexpected moves.

6 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Great to hear that most are back to practice. Looking forward to seeing the team on the third and my first peek at the new jumbotron. 

• Like 1

At noon or shortly there after we should find out who clears waivers. At 5p or shortly there after we should know our roster. It's starting to feel a lot like hockey.

• Like 3

Chip AlexanderVerified account @ice_chip 5m5 minutes ago

Today's lines: Staal with Svechnikov, Teravainen; Aho with Nino, McGinn; Haula with Dzingel, Martinook; Wallmark with Foegele-Gauthier/Necas

Today's D pairings: Slavin-Hamilton, Edmundson-Pesce, Fleury-Gardiner.

I'm sure the lines will be constantly moving but not in favor of McGinn being on the second line. It appears these lines are geared towards balance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OBXer said:

This shows to me that despite our hesitation about Necas, that Brind'Amour probably had him inked in the whole time. I'm assuming the Aho PP is the first unit. Personally, I like Hamilton's offense, but we had him last year and still felt the need for a PP QB, so I really like the way Gardiner moves the puck.

And it is just so awesome that all of our injured guys are back in the fold!

• Like 1

I'm ready for disagreement on this but Aho and Necas on the PP wings assuming Staal plays the middle gives us no grinder strength/pressure in the corners to win loose pucks.  Gauthier has a superb wrister and brings some serious strength to the corners not to mention planting himself in the paint. He may not be a half wall talent, I don't know, but Necas is still seems too string bean to do the he-man stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Aho and Necas on the PP wings assuming Staal plays the middle gives us no grinder strength/pressure in the corners

Maybe Nino?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

I 2nd that OBXer and further don't see why we go thru these spells of personal attacks from time to time(even though I do admit to being guilty myself), but this board is one of the best because you, rem, gocanes and Lake do a great job of defusing these petty macho spats.

Amen to that. (dittoes to me for being offensive)

Edited by cc

1 hour ago, iceman11 said:

I’m not sure why the Canes waived Forsberg instead of Reimer?  Forsberg is younger and cheaper.  Probably more of chance he gets claimed than if Reimer.  Unless Reimer really outplayed Forsberg over training camp

Good question.  Forsberg was awarded a 1-way contract in arbitration, so both will get a fixed salary regardless of where they play.   I wonder if they just heavily weighted Reimer's significantly greater NHL experience?  If Forsberg clears I also wonder if they might carry all 3 for a while, which Waddell once indicated was a possibility.

I think they think it's both. I think they want a proven NHL goalie as back up to start, but I also think that they think they can sneak Forsberg through waivers. With Pittsburgh waiving DeSmith, I have to think that increases our chances of it working.

The Arizona Coyotes claimed goaltender Eric Comrie off waivers from the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday, while the Jets claimed defenceman Carl Dahlstrom from the Chicago Blackhawks.

All other players placed on waivers Monday cleared.

Boom there it is!

Edited by rocheccw
  • Like 1

kind of surprised gibbons is still with the big club. i haven't seen anything out of him that a younger/bigger player couldn't do. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, wlfpk81 said:

kind of surprised gibbons is still with the big club. i haven't seen anything out of him that a younger/bigger player couldn't do. 

Welcome wlfpk.

29 minutes ago, rocheccw said:

The Arizona Coyotes claimed goaltender Eric Comrie off waivers from the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday, while the Jets claimed defenceman Carl Dahlstrom from the Chicago Blackhawks.

Boom there it is!

Interesting.  Comrie has all of 5 NHL games and a lifetime AHL save% of .910.   Forsberg with 45 NHL games and an AHL save% of .922.  Forsberg bigger but Comrie almost 3 years younger.  Of course, those are all just numbers on paper . . .

Really glad both the Fors and Bishop cleared, though.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rocheccw said:

Boom there it is!

So there's still hope for the return on the DeHaan trade!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, remkin said:

So there's still hope for the DeHaan return!

I looked at that and my initial thought was that DeHaan might somehow be available to come back to the Canes, lol. You might want to rephrase that as

So there's still hope for the return on the DeHaan trade! :grin:

I think we have some trimming to do. I thought we might keep 23 up.

Gauthier being sent down doesn’t make any sense to me. He had a great camp.  

Gibbons and TVR put on non roster injured reserve 

Down to 20

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Canes GM Don Waddell, speaking at annual “We Love The Hurricanes” luncheon, said team will have 20-man opening night roster.

I thought we generally have a healthy extra or two. Then again, Bishop would have been the forward for that.

If Necas is practicing on the top PP unit, and we go with no extras, is Gauthier going back down?

And on D, it would be either Fleury or McKeown. I know it seems obvious it would be McKeown, but Fleury hasn't been great on his off side.