The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

46 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

As we go through these troubling times just remember, there is no I in team.  But there is an I in Pie.  Meat Pie actually.  Meat spells team backwards.  The point of this post is well.  Yeah, you get the point.

AC715A28-D7EB-4482-9BB2-DC6D38D035ED.jpeg

8 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

Thanks for clarification! This though is still puzzling me: say "I am done, thank you very much" and enjoy your retirement. 

Does he have any "agreement" with his buddy RB and the org, should he decide to return they will sign a contract? Because I am not sure any other team would...

While it's glamourous to some to think Williams will play again, there are no real signs that it'll happen - and for that matter there's no agreement and/or guarantee that if he does play again, it'll be for the Canes.  We can all wake up in the morning, open our laptops, and be immediately welcomed with a headline saying he's just signed for the remainder of the season with the Pens.  Sure, i doubt that'll happen, but it's just as possible as a headline saying he's returning to the Canes.  He is nobody's property and as such, can go to any team willing to throw a couple bucks at him should he choose to do so.  He can even come down to Charlotte again and skate with the Chex for a couple weeks before joining former-longtime Checker Jamie McGinn in St. Louis, you never know.  Best bet at this point is to count on Williams not playing in the NHL again and if he does return, maybe the Canes get him.

Personally i wouldn't be surprised to see him go to the Caps, should they have a use for him and he feels he has a better shot at one last cup there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

While it's glamourous to some to think Williams will play again, there are no real signs that it'll happen - and for that matter there's no agreement and/or guarantee that if he does play again, it'll be for the Canes.  We can all wake up in the morning, open our laptops, and be immediately welcomed with a headline saying he's just signed for the remainder of the season with the Pens.  Sure, i doubt that'll happen, but it's just as possible as a headline saying he's returning to the Canes.  He is nobody's property and as such, can go to any team willing to throw a couple bucks at him should he choose to do so.  He can even come down to Charlotte again and skate with the Chex for a couple weeks before joining former-longtime Checker Jamie McGinn in St. Louis, you never know.  Best bet at this point is to count on Williams not playing in the NHL again and if he does return, maybe the Canes get him.

Personally i wouldn't be surprised to see him go to the Caps, should they have a use for him and he feels he has a better shot at one last cup there.

With his relationship with Brind'Amor, I wouldn't bet the farm on any of this.

• Like 1

I don't see Brindy as the begging type for most things but through interviews where Brindy said things such as he hopes he wouldn't need to talk to Williams about his decision I get the vibe Brindy asked as a favor that Williams not retire and just take as much time as he could on the decision with hopes Williams would miss the game and come back. 

I think Williams is content with being a full time Dad at the moment and his next NHL role will be in an office if he wants one.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

6 mill for staal  ,   is that really what we are paying for a over rated  2nd over all pick ?  I know   I know  jimmy rutherford is to blame . 

I'm not sure why I am bothering Canesfanforever, but you are aware that the $6mil salary you are criticizing is based on his perceived value, AT THE TIME WE TRADED FOR HIM, not what you view as his value now several years down the road? Apparently your profound current estimate is not shared by HCRB, but even if so, I am curious how you think that could be remedied, or is this just another trolling venture vs Fantasy Hockey at it's zenith?

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

I'm not sure why I am bothering Canesfanforever, but you are aware that the $6mil salary you are criticizing is based on his perceived value, AT THE TIME WE TRADED FOR HIM, not what you view as his value now several years down the road? Apparently your profound current estimate is not shared by HCRB, but even if so, I am curious how you think that could be remedied, or is this just another trolling venture vs Fantasy Hockey at it's zenith?

It's going to be some time till  Staals contracts comes up for renewal ,   and i think  a lesser amount  is reasonable .   and given the age factor that tends to play out anyways .     Im just not satisfied with  where Staal is slotted on the lines ,  a 3rd or 4th line  guy sure    but 1st or 2nd?   I think the Canes  can place better players already on the team with each other than having Staal lined up with them .     And im not a fan of Staal on the power play units either  ,    Him on the penalty kill is  where he suits best , which im  fine with .  

On 11/13/2019 at 12:36 PM, KJUNKANE said:

I am just not sure why Eetu Luostarinen was sent back as he seemed to be nicely trending upward in his 3 games? I realize that Martinook, whom is it seems is really needed due to his locker room élan, is very close to returning, but Lousty appeared to my eyes to be outplaying several? Possibly Rod et al wanted to get Eetu to work on a few things, but I'm hoping he'll return soon.

I liked Lusty's work and it was getting better every game. Seemed to know where he should be at most times and was no pushover to get him off the puck. Hope to see him again.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

With his relationship with Brind'Amor, I wouldn't bet the farm on any of this.

I wouldn't bet the farm on anything with Williams at this point, but it's as strong a possibility as him returning to the Canes this season.

20 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I wouldn't bet the farm on anything with Williams at this point, but it's as strong a possibility as him returning to the Canes this season.

I honestly  think Williams never wanted to be the captain .   Im lead to this belief  based on him wanting to step away from the game and  the factor of when he came to carolina  he stated he wished to just be treated as one of the guys .    I think the only reason he took on the mantle  was because Brind'Amour  and Fans  wanted him to  and that he was still under contract .     I might be wrong   but  this is just how i see it  .    Which explains why he wanted to step away   .   And also to think  how Awkward it would be for him  if he did come back   nearly everyone  still would look at him as the Captain  despite the C  on Staals  jersey .    and you know what they say ,  "  to many chiefs  not enough Indians  "    can cause  problems .  

19 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Sabres played a strong game in losing but thought I caught Skins giving Brindy a smile as in 'how do you like me now?' Love him or hate him he's a sniper.

He’s still a punk *edit* 🐕 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Sabres played a strong game in losing but thought I caught Skins giving Brindy a smile as in 'how do you like me now?' Love him or hate him he's a sniper.

Snipe away. Plenty of great goal scorers never hoist Lord Stanley. Ask Marcel Dionne. At the end of the day, he's not a team guy, and that's what Brindy wants to build a team around. I would say Brindy can take solace in the fact that he's building a team around guys that buy in, not ones that stand around hailing a cab so they can pad their stats. Brindy wins. So much winning.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, raleighcaniac said:

I'm sure Brindy smiled when he fell on his rear and gave up the puck in OT. 

Edited by threeman33
Added
  • Like 3

Jeff Skinner has 679 NHL games played. Justin Faulk, the other guy that had been on that same page in a way has 578 NHL games. But after his strong season last year and not being traded then, Faulk now has 15 playoff games. 

Skinners Playoff Stats on NHL.com:

Jeff Skinner Career Stats, Playoffs
Jeff Skinner does not have any NHL stats
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, remkin said:

Jeff Skinner has 679 NHL games played. Justin Faulk, the other guy that had been on that same page in a way has 578 NHL games. But after his strong season last year and not being traded then, Faulk now has 15 playoff games. 

Skinners Playoff Stats on NHL.com:

Jeff Skinner Career Stats, Playoffs
Jeff Skinner does not have any NHL stats

EFD8D2C2-A34B-432D-B26B-86268F79F2E9.gif

• Like 2

Fun with names:

Bendan Woods, Brody Sutter, Patrick Brown, Sergey Tolchinsky, Andrew Poturalski, Chris Terry, Zach Boychuk, Drayson Bowman, Justin Sugg, Jarome Sampson, Josh Jooris, Clark Bishop, Jared Staal, Zac Dalpe, Brett Sutter, Phillip DiGuiseppe, Brock McGinn, Brian Gibbons, Warren Foegele, Nicolas Roy, Eetu Loustarninen, Janne Kuokannen, Victor Rask, Valentin Zykov, Saku Maenalanen, Derek Ryan.......Martin Necas.

What do those names have in common? 

That's right. Those are the list of all forwards who spent significant time in the AHL affiliate (since 2012) who recorded at least one NHL point with our team. Which name jumps off the page? That's right. Martin Necas. 

Our organization has had star players, but with perhaps the rare exception of Eric Staal in a lockout year, none of our star forwards have come through our system the supposed "right way", except for Martin Necas. I point this out more to highlight how special Necas is more than anything. 

Yes, things are changing. Yes, it's partly a change in philosophy and yes, it's mostly because we are now a deeper than ever organization. Lusty, Foegele, Geekie, maybe Goat and newer picks could change this history also, but right now, the single example of a potential game changing star forward spending a full year in the AHL for this team in the past 17 years is Martin Necas. 

Again, more to point out the specialness of Necas than anything else.

• Like 1

The team had been so bad for so long if you had obvious NHL chops whether it was today or tomorrow you just went straight to the NHL and we probably stunted severals growth from it namely Lindholm. Aside from Larose and Rask I'm not sure any other AHLer who spent 60+ games in the AHL ever amounted to anything at the NHL level for the Canes.

On 11/14/2019 at 4:28 PM, slapshot02 said:

I liked Lusty's work and it was getting better every game. Seemed to know where he should be at most times and was no pushover to get him off the puck. Hope to see him again.

I would love to see a 4th line with Lusty and Nookie.

Throw in Ginner and you've got quite the party!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

The team needs more grit.  We are missing Ferland.

Nah, he can keep his one goal and most recent concussion right where he is. Toughness serves no value if you go out on the DL every time you use it.

• Like 4