The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Is Haula reinjured? Seeing where Luostarinen has been recalled.

That was my thought when I saw the FB posting about Eetu’s recall, but I haven’t seen anything on Haula.

23 hours ago, snuffy72 said:

The Jeff Skinner discussion along with Justin Faulk is interesting.   I met Skinner at an event at the PNC center.   He lights up a room with his smiling personality.   Justin Faulk is also one of the nicest, grounded guys you will ever meet.   I am sure that they have very easily moved on with their lives.   Neither one of them have the skill set to carry the entire team on their backs.   Both were just a small part of the team as a whole.   The thing that really jumps out at me as a sports fan is how much money one person can command and the willingness of teams to pay it.   Hockey is one of the lesser paying sports.    Other sports high paying players get gross amounts of money and many of those players fall way short of expectations.    The Hurricanes are doing just fine without either player but I also have to think that we would be doing just fine with them.  The current coach to me is the difference maker.  

I agree that Skinner and Faulk are two approachable professional athletes whose personalities bode well for representing their organizations.  Each was a + contributor to the Canes, but each was not going to get prioritized in the distribution of available Canes $$, so trades of each with one year remaining on their deals, were prudent.  The return for Faulk has been a pleasant surprise.  Edmundson provides some of the muscle missing from the Ferland, Saku, and JW departures.  I am liking his presence a lot more than Gardiner's.  At the point I wish they would have invested Gardiner's $ on a power forward, as I would be fine with Fleury full time and any from Forsling, McKeown, Priskie, and Bean to back up.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2019 at 9:56 PM, gocanes0506 said:

Except he is doing the same on the top line in Buffalo. He doesn’t play defense or even care about it.  

his version of defense is hoping to steal a puck from a defender in the O zone. When he doesn’t, he has put his team in a bind. When he does, he takes a bad shot 3 on 1.  

So by that explanation Anyone would be right to extrapolate that McDavids 116 points last season and +3 rating makes him lazy on D even though he played top line with Leon Draisaitl. Okay. You’re too bias on putting weight on a players value to a team via plus/minus. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Skinner didn’t play on a first line on a Peters team, never trusted him. Heck didn’t even trust him to play enough defense to put him in overtime.  Peters put him with guys he could cover his issues which were lower skilled dudes. 

15-16 and 16-17 was the 6th or so for ice time.  17-18 he had higher ice time than 15-16 so.....

I don’t know what to tell you.

And still put up career numbers.

On 11/17/2019 at 10:38 AM, Derailed75 said:

No matter what is said about Skinners time in Raleigh the truth if the matter is he is gone and the Canes are a much better team without him.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with going out and getting an actual goaltender, actual D men, and not trying to make AHLers into something they ain't, I suppose.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

How quick many jump on Skinner. He carried this team on his back his first 4-5 years winning the Calder while being the only face of the Canes. He likely called bs on mgmt for not adding any talent and god forbid as a pro athlete slave to ownership you be critical of a garbage can roster. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beboplar said:

Edmundson provides some of the muscle missing from the Ferland

I keep reading this, and nitpicking as this may seem, my thought is that Edmundson MORE than makes up for Ferland with respect to the "muscle', as arguably, he is not prone to injury? Ferland may have been a heavier hitter as well as a more feared fisticuff competitor, but with his litany of injuries, particularly at season's end and playoff time, I'll take Edmundson over Ferland any season.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

So by that explanation Anyone would be right to extrapolate that McDavids 116 points last season and +3 rating makes him lazy on D even though he played top line with Leon Draisaitl. Okay. You’re too bias on putting weight on a players value to a team via plus/minus. 

That isnt it at all.  McDavid's have a ton of PP points.  So his plus/minus is skewed.  Roughly a third of his points or so are PP points so his +/- is a lot less then his contribution.

Skinner had a 1/4 of his points from the PP but Skinner's points are 60 not 120.  

Above all of that the eye ball test of Skinner's play will tell you he isnt a 200 foot player and costs his team.

• Like 1

Maybe it's time to resurrect the plus/minus debate/discussion.

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

That isnt it at all.  McDavid's have a ton of PP points.  So his plus/minus is skewed.

Actually, plus/minus IS relative to the PP AND PK, as players on the ice when his team scores a shorthanded goal are awarded a "plus" while those on the ice when their team gives up a shorthaned goal get a "minus".   

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

We can’t buy a break with his knee 

Not sure that's the problem aka-Brindy, unless that was a misdirection comment on his part?

4 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Schneider  is on waivers    at a 6 mill cap hit.   How much  are the canes paying Reimer ?

Pass as Schneider has been horrible it appears?

36 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Schneider  is on waivers    at a 6 mill cap hit.   How much  are the canes paying Reimer ?

Oh HELL NO!!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Which has absolutely nothing to do with going out and getting an actual goaltender, actual D men, and not trying to make AHLers into something they ain't, I suppose.

I agree but moving him allowed the Canes to improve the team with cap space, ice space moving forward. I liked Skinner and didnt likenthe direct return but you can not argue the team is better now then it ever was with him

12 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

I agree but moving him allowed the Canes to improve the team with cap space, ice space moving forward. I liked Skinner and didnt likenthe direct return but you can not argue the team is better now then it ever was with him

Oh but argue we will Derailed75, because because because, well quite frankly because we can, and truly there is no final answer to either the pro or con in this issue. It's the old "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" comparable. Skinner=beautiful, he was misplayed! Skinner=ugly, he was a selfish self-centered brat! Either side will not yield, thus the conundrum? Both sides have their valid points, and we are if nothing else, a passionate fan base, so Larose, E Staal and now Skinner will stay forever controversial? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I am really upset that Huala is out indefinitely.  He will be missed.

I have spoken. 

Watched mandalorian, you have

Edited by gocanes0506