The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

10 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I have spoken.

Yes you have, but it could result in a hidden gem becoming more polished in Eetu? And presuming Rod is correct in that it's not the knee apparatus, then hopefully Haula recovers in a timely fashion, then there's 2 players on board?

Also Jason Zucker may be available on a faltering Wild team? Course he does make $5mil, which could be offset by a TvR trade?

Edited by KJUNKANE

10 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Yes you have, but it could resulting a hidden gem becoming more polished in Eetu? And presuming Rod is correct in that it's not the knee apparatus, then hopefully Haula recovers in a timely fashion, then there's 2 players on board?

Also Jason Zucker may be available on a faltering Wild team? Course he does make $5mil, which could be offset by a TvR trade?

I hope so.  I would rather go for Greenway.  That is the kind of guy we need.

17 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

We can’t buy a break with his knee 

Not totally unexpected.  I had my first knee surgery in 1971 from basketball, 2nd in 1991 from skiing, ultimately knee replacement a few years ago.  Playing sports, especially at the pro level, with broken knees, is not a given.

Why isn't Morgan Geekie getting a look?  He is leading the Checkers in scoring.

4 minutes ago, beboplar said:

My guess, Eetu looked good AT THIS LEVEL? Unknown how Geekie's AHL game translates, so better to go with known commodity than an unknown at this critical stage?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

I hope so.  I would rather go for Greenway.  That is the kind of guy we need.

Not a prolific scorer at this stage, but might look nice with Nino to rejoin a teammate? He is a LW and shoot L?

25 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Not a prolific scorer at this stage, but might look nice with Nino to rejoin a teammate? He is a LW and shoot L?

He is 6 foot 6.  I am sold on that alone.

I have spoken.

Edited by bluedevil58

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

These decisions can be hard to read unless there is a meaningful comment by someone in the know, but just an opinion: Eetu and Geekie have essentially identical production. The same number of goals, and .67 and .71 ppg. The main statistical difference is Eetu is -3 and Geekie -9. That stat in small batches is not helpful, but the coaches would know if Eetu is playing a better two way game. When it comes to call ups the one thing I do know is almost all coaches and GM's want a guy who plays a complete game because it's rare for those guys to score much. Also Eetu is two years older and is further in his development. Among other things, we need to get at look at him sooner, and Geekie can wait. Finally, Eetu looked strong in his NHL debut. Bringing him back makes sense both for on ice reasons, and systemically to reward guys who are sent down for no fault of their own. 

Personally I really like Geekie and think he is one of our top prospects. But I have been pleasantly surprised with Eetu so far, and want to see more of him now.

4 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

He is 6 foot 6.  I am sold on that alone.

I have spoken.

Maybe we can teach canesfanforever Mandelorian punctuation.

• Like 2

The Evil Empire’s radio guy was on NHL on XM...and it reminded me that we don’t even play them til MARCH, and then we play them FOUR TIMES that month.  Who in the hell is running NHL scheduling?  They need their heads examined!

Just now, AWACSooner said:

The Evil Empire’s radio guy was on NHL on XM...and it reminded me that we don’t even play them til MARCH, and then we play them FOUR TIMES that month.  Who in the hell is running NHL scheduling?  They need their heads examined!

One thing about spreading it out is getting teams at various times in their cycle of goodness. Would be nice to get them a couple of times with Crosby out.

• Like 1

Just now, remkin said:

One thing about spreading it out is getting teams at various times in their cycle of goodness. Would be nice to get them a couple of times with Crosby out.

My point exactly...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

We can’t buy a break with his knee 

Could we not use "break" and "knee" in the same sentence? Such talk is only acceptable in the Oval Office...

20 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

I agree but moving him allowed the Canes to improve the team with cap space, ice space moving forward. I liked Skinner and didnt likenthe direct return but you can not argue the team is better now then it ever was with him

Unloading Eric Staal and Cam Ward did a whole lot more for this team fiscally than trading Skinner did. He still had another year on a very fair contract. The facts of the extension "talks" we (supposedly) engaged in with him that summer ending the minute they started, and "Ambassador" Erik Crybaby's slanderous radio appearance designed to force him out tell me all I need to know about the thanks he got from this franchise for, as RC noted, not only tolerating but somehow managing to excel with third-rate players throughout his time here. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, beboplar said:

Not totally unexpected.  I had my first knee surgery in 1971 from basketball, 2nd in 1991 from skiing, ultimately knee replacement a few years ago.  Playing sports, especially at the pro level, with broken knees, is not a given.

Same reason Gaut isn't: There is no reason.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Could we not use "break" and "knee" in the same sentence? Such talk is only acceptable in the Oval Office...

Or at figure skating rinks? :P

• Like 3

I'm hoping DW is keeping the lines open and thinking about adding another forward. It would be wise to do so especially with Haula's situation and making a move early would buy us extra insurance. No idea who possibly could be had via trade and I'm sure DW is always open to options for making the team better.

42 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I'm hoping DW is keeping the lines open and thinking about adding another forward. It would be wise to do so especially with Haula's situation and making a move early would buy us extra insurance. No idea who possibly could be had via trade and I'm sure DW is always open to options for making the team better.

maybe Toronto will want a shakeup :crossfingers:

Edited by gocanes0506

With Babcock out of toronto ,  I only see this team playing worse now    which is good news for the canes ,  That is depending if they end up just a little right above  10th  in the standings  among worst teams  .   or   if they do end up getting that 10th slot  this year and  end up really bad the following year   for 2021s  draft   that is a guaranteed  high end prospect .    All for  just taking patricks  contract and buying it out  .   WOW !   

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

That would mean we are closing the door on JW, right? Of course Waddell probably knows if that door is already closed anyway.

23 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

With Babcock out of toronto ,  I only see this team playing worse now    which is good news for the canes ,  That is depending if they end up just a little right above  10th  in the standings  among worst teams  .   or   if they do end up getting that 10th slot  this year and  end up really bad the following year   for 2021s  draft   that is a guaranteed  high end prospect .    All for  just taking patricks  contract and buying it out  .   WOW !   

That really isn’t good news for us. Toronto has too good of a roster and too much money not to be much better next season. Our best bet is to get an 11th-15 pick this season due to depth of the draft.

44 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Umm...Pittsburgh fired their head coach in-season in  2008-09 and 2015-16, and St Louis fired theirs in-season last season.  Wanna guess the end results for both teams?