The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

31 minutes ago, snuffy72 said:

I would be very happy with a draft pick for Gardiner.  He is not very good.    I don't know why we keep benching Fleury and keep Gardiner who is at a -14.   At the very least bench Gardiner and bring in Fleury every other game.   I don't think we are doing Fleury any favors always keeping him as a healthy scratch.  If I were him I would request a trade and I personally think he would be justified.   He is only 23 years old and his upside is very good.   Play the guy for goodness sakes. 

I see 2 things questionable about this snuffy. 1st, what are the chances that the reason to keep playing Gardner as opposed to Fleury(whom I personally like), is that we are show casing for exactly the reason being hinted at, we are intent on moving him and want to maximize his perceived value?

2nd, I'm not sure that "requesting a trade" by any player is a good career decision? Now, I don't know this as a fact, but I could see where a player could get a rep as a disgruntled player that could taint his image. Best to stay a team player than become known as a prima donna?

I want to clarify one thing. My "trade Gardiner" thing is just how I'm leaning now. I would not actually try to trade him at this point. The guy has a ton of skill. If he can settle his D game down he could be very good. He still may start to click better on the PP, where he is smooth. He's on a new team and needs time to adjust. I would not actually start looking for a trade now. But IMO our experience suggests that you do indeed need your D men to play at least some D. So if it turns out he continues to struggle on this, I'd want to at least see what kind of return we might get. 

DeHaan is plus 8 on a -3 Chicago team just for consideration. Still not sure what the rush to move him was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I want to clarify one thing. My "trade Gardiner" thing is just how I'm leaning now. I would not actually try to trade him at this point. The guy has a ton of skill. If he can settle his D game down he could be very good. He still may start to click better on the PP, where he is smooth. He's on a new team and needs time to adjust. I would not actually start looking for a trade now. But IMO our experience suggests that you do indeed need your D men to play at least some D. So if it turns out he continues to struggle on this, I'd want to at least see what kind of return we might get. 

DeHaan is plus 8 on a -3 Chicago team just for consideration. Still not sure what the rush to move him was.

I'm still not sure either... thought he was a great fit.  Only justification is could see was that it looked like he may be out a while, but he didn't miss much, and RB certainly could have used Fleury in the meantime.

I couldn't figure out why Nino felt a guy who was skating into four Canes head on absolutely had to be hooked. All this right after having the Wings throw the puck right past him as he stood next to the empty net. 

• Like 3

As we head into the Rangers game the Fox watch stands at 21 games. :) If Toronto continues to lay an egg. Canes could have 2 picks in each of the first 3 rounds. Hopefully to go with another playoff run!

Isn't it nice to have more teams chasing us than we are chasing. We seem to be finding ways to win instead of finding excuses for why we haven't. I'm still not sure how good we are but I suspect the best is still to come.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I couldn't figure out why Nino felt a guy who was skating into four Canes head on absolutely had to be hooked. All this right after having the Wings throw the puck right past him as he stood next to the empty net. 

We talk about what Dzingle may or may not be accomplishing, while Nino continues to outstink him in pretty much every aspect of the game.  Where's the Nino who played last season?  This guy isn't impressing me at all.  Injured Haula or no, i think Nino's about due for a night in the pressbox.

6-1 in our last 7. I'd say the ship is back on track.

We can all see room for improvement, but really, we're doing great. And arguably most important we are getting better defensively and in the neutral zone.  It's also a bit obscured by the fog of Washington and the NYI jumping out. But we remain #4 in the East and #6 in the NHL based on record. We are also #6 in the NHL in goal differential at a fairly amazing +15. Amazing by past team's standards. 

We will now be cleanly in a playoff spot on Thanksgiving for the first time in forever. This is a good time. 

• Like 3

A few guys have room to improve. Nino, and frankly J Staal are the biggest up front IMO, though at least Staal is defensively strong. Dzingel can be a bit better too. That Florida game was pretty bad for him, but also he's on a 13 goal pace. He is contributing, on a 50 point pace, but he's supposed to be a goal scorer. The aforementioned Gardiner has room to improve on the back end. To my eye he is rushing plays. He has the skills, but is not seeing the right play a lot.  Hopefully this is something he can settle into improving. 

I do think that all 4 of those guys have better game in them and likely will improve making us that much better. 

We do miss Haula because we've always been a bit weak down the middle and while Walmark is respectable, and Eetu commendable, they just aren't big scoring threats. 

But with the D being so good overall, and our top line humming, I'm pretty happy. Hopefully those guys get going, but we are winning either way.

• Like 2

Lastly, while to my eye Reimer is just one of those goalies that leaves me holding my breath, he had a great outing last night, is .500 and has a better save % than Mrazek. This is still my biggest area of concern and so far...not bad :crossfingers:.

• Like 1

Also on the plus side, the Canes have 3 guys over a ppg and Aho close. 4 ppg players is amazing. I think we all predicted Svech would bump up a lot this year, but the guy is on a 92 point pace in his sophomore campaign and playing with Aho and TT it is not crazy to think he might finish near that. 

Joel Edmundson is was on a 6 game point streak, a career best. As with Dougie, how great is it for guys to get that feeling here and elevate their game here. I think that is one of this organizations biggest pluses and Brind'Amour leads the way on that atmosphere and helping guys find that zone of intense play but not tense play. 

We have 58 games remaining with 116 points available.  We need at least 66 more points to get into the playoffs, a 56.8 point percentage the rest of the way.  slightly below the season starting need of 59 point percentage.  

Edited by gocanes0506
bad math

2 hours ago, remkin said:

But with the D being so good overall, and our top line humming, I'm pretty happy. Hopefully those guys get going, but we are winning either way.

Yes. Keep the top line the way it is. Until Haula returns, I'd like to see Dzingel put back with Wallmark and Necas on our second line. I think Dzingel has more speed and scoring upside than Nino, and he seems to be a better fit with Necas. Try Staal with McGinn and Martinook for a shutdown line. They might even have some chemistry and score a goal every now and then. Then put Nino and Foegele with Eetu and see if they could generate some offense. I think Eetu can be more of an offensive center, but not so long as he's with McGinn and Martinook. 

Not sure whether Staal or Eetu would be our fourth line, but at this point it doesn't really matter.

Edited by spyglass88

4 hours ago, remkin said:

Lastly, while to my eye Reimer is just one of those goalies that leaves me holding my breath, he had a great outing last night, is .500 and has a better save % than Mrazek. This is still my biggest area of concern and so far...not bad :crossfingers:.

WAS more worried on that front 2 weeks ago. Playing every 7-10 days, which he's made a career of, still has an adjustment period on a new club. I may be wrong, but I've liked his last 3 outings or so, and think he may be settling in to the D and his own style. Probably not to the tune of 1B, but able to be sound on a club that continues getting it's fair share of finish.

Scoreboard watching tonight...Canucks, Fighting Bill Peters, Sens, and Wild did us zero favors...all Metro teams won 🤮

edit...except the Aisles...whose streak finally ended by being shut out by the Duckies...WTG Anaheim!

Edited by AWACSooner

On 11/24/2019 at 5:11 PM, remkin said:

Still not sure what the rush to move him was.

The rush was his injury and his contract. The first created enough uncertainty that, combined with the second, we couldn't risk it, and with the D in our system we didn't need to. We signed him to a great deal for his skill set, but given our defensive depth we could afford to let him go, and arguably, we couldn't afford not to: Gardiner saved us $650k a year in salary and 500 in cap on our third pair, which is where DeHaan was going to end up. In Chicago he's playing 20 minutes plus most nights, a much better fit to his salary. 

Edited by top-shelf-1