The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

The thing on Gauthier is playing on a top line in Charlotte is better than the press box, and the Canes have said they don't want to put yutes who are supposed to score on the 4th line.

I agree Goat has had the better camp, but it sure looks like the team is acting like Necas is in. Personally, I'm fine with it, and think Gauthier will end up back here with any injury OR  Necas subpar play.

Could be a surprise still, I guess we'll find out soon.

Or maybe we just check the Checkers website

Forwards Clark Bishop, Julien Gauthier and Brian Gibbons, defensemen Gustav Forsling and Roland McKeown and goalie Anton Forsberg have all been assigned to Charlotte.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Or maybe we just check the Checkers website

Forwards Clark Bishop, Julien Gauthier and Brian Gibbons, defensemen Gustav Forsling and Roland McKeown and goalie Anton Forsberg have all been assigned to Charlotte.

Well there it is. The remaining question was McKeown vs Fleury, but as expected Fleury stays, I guess plays his off side.

I really like our lineup. As it stands Goat and McKeown would seem to be the first call ups. I do think Necas has to create some offense to stay up.

I like our group.

If I'm remembering right Gauthier was not happy about not getting a look in the past at the NHL level, I'm hoping he's matured past that and puts his future in his own hands. 

I'm also pretty glad Forsberg's still around. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Reimer winds up back in the AHL after watching him during some practice streams. Shouldn't be watching pucks shot at half speed on routine drills go in the net.

I think it is safe to say the Hurricanes lean left. Necas is our only right shot forward.Pesce and Hamilton our right shot Dmen

33 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Gauthier being sent down doesn’t make any sense to me. He had a great camp

I'm just thinking that Necas is here for the 1st few games, up to 10 maybe, to let him get a taste to whet his appetite and then down to Charlotte to work on his evolving deficiencies. I'll bet, unless Necas just blows us away, that Gautier is the player of these 2 for this year. The time in Charlotte for Gautier will just be to get him up to speed?

With those roster moves, it means that our injured guys are ready to go Thursday (Dzingel, Gardiner and Necas).  Being relatively healthy to start the season is always a good thing.

Even though Gauthier ended up not finding a chair when the music stopped, the fact that he showed so well can only be good for the organization. He will absolutely get looks throughout the season. The last 4 years, the #13 forward in games got 36, 48, 34, and 47 games. If there is an injury to any top 9 player, at least at this point the first call would go to Gauthier, which would give him lots of chances to show his stuff. 

If I'm the Canes, I'm thrilled with what Gauthier showed. If I'm Gauthier, yes I'm disappointed to miss the cut with a strong camp. But I'm also feeling good about the strong camp moving me a big step closer to NHL games. He has not been in a real NHL game yet. If he works hard, keeps his chin up, he will be this year. 

• Like 1

I've got to believe that Bishop also stands a good chance of serving as an early call up given that he proved last season that he can hold down a 4th line spot in the NHL.

3 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I've got to believe that Bishop also stands a good chance of serving as an early call up given that he proved last season that he can hold down a 4th line spot in the NHL.

Yeah I would think if the need is 4th line it would be Bishop, if the need is top 9 Gauthier. But it's just guesswork.

5 hours ago, remkin said:

Well there it is. The remaining question was McKeown vs Fleury, but as expected Fleury stays, I guess plays his off side.

I really like our lineup. As it stands Goat and McKeown would seem to be the first call ups. I do think Necas has to create some offense to stay up.

I like our group.

The truth is you don't win the Cup necessarily with the group you line up with at Game 1, so the thinking has to be for the spring.  I think this lineup would not be physical enough to go far in a playoff scenario, but by then Gauthier may be a fixture on the team.  I have been following this franchise since its WHA days and I don't ever recall them starting with only 20 players.  I thought they were clever passing McKeown through waivers early in camp, which bought them 30 days, but now that they have sent him down, if he gets called up again because a D man gets nicked, they will have to pass him through waivers again, right?  In that regard, I don't like him being sent down.  Gauthier is waiver exempt, so they can play yoyo with him as much as the rules allow.

Who on this team is going to make any hits?  Marty, Edmundson, and ?????

20 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Who on this team is going to make any hits?  Marty, Edmundson, and ?????

Svech, McGinn, Fleury (he says), Foegele. We'll be fine.

Gaut will be back.

I hope Roddy's got someone watching Necas's.

Thursday has great grudge-match potential; paying Les Habs back for their summer B.S. comments about Aho wanting to play there, in an effort to cover up their naivety in setting his market price. Watch out! Make way! The most storied organization in pro sports is taking the ice! Last Cup: 1993!

Necas gets six games, methinks, to earn his starting spot on the fourth. Of those two are away, both of them nearby, so calling up is a snap if necessary. Once we make the turn for the coast we'll be carrying 22 (McKeown and Gaut), guaranteed, and I would think if Necas doesn't own his slot by then Gaut will get his shot. 

Though I could also see us calling guys up for Saturday's game.

It's important that guys riding the elevator between leagues guide the younger guys at the lower level, and being there for camp--as defending AHL Champions--is part of it, especially with a new coach.

5 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Necas gets six games, methinks, to earn his starting spot on the fourth. Of those two are away, both of them nearby, so calling up is a snap if necessary. Once we make the turn for the coast we'll be carrying 22 (McKeown and Gaut), guaranteed, and I would think if Necas doesn't own his slot by then Gaut will get his shot. 

Though I could also see us calling guys up for Saturday's game.

It's important that guys riding the elevator between leagues guide the younger guys at the lower level, and being there for camp--as defending AHL Champions--is part of it, especially with a new coach.

I'm not sure he is the right fit for the 4th.  I'm debating them putting him at wing to see how he holds up.  I'm not confident he can handle a center work load.

It should be a delicate balance of continued auditions for the young guys/new-comers, and getting down to business now that these games count.  I think we're going to see some real growth along with a Stanley Cup season. I expect nothing less than a chip-on-our-shoulder demeanor and to kick *edit* in the Metro.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

So a 20-man roster to start the season.  That's interesting.

Dundon's too cheap to keep extras hanging around in Raleigh when they can Uber in from Charlotte.

sarchasm alert for the ignorant

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

sarchasm alert for the ignorant

I ain’t fallin inta that trap. Get it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beboplar said:

f he gets called up again because a D man gets nicked,

Not necessary that he go thru waivers if he's called up on emergency basis?

4 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Svech, McGinn, Fleury (he says), Foegele. We'll be fine.

The Canes have been getting outhit consistently, and that was even with Gauthier playing and Necas sitting.  Fleury will have to pick it up, as the hits have not been coming.  Let's see what the hits for and against looks like after 5-10 games.

4 hours ago, beboplar said:

The Canes have been getting outhit consistently, and that was even with Gauthier playing and Necas sitting.  Fleury will have to pick it up, as the hits have not been coming.  Let's see what the hits for and against looks like after 5-10 games.

I'm more interested in wins within the same timeframe. That said, you can't judge hits based on preseason--if you can judge them at all, and I'm not sure anybody can.

Since he came up, Fleury has been the only Canes defender to consistently play the body first in our own corners. That doesn't always show up in the stats as a hit, but he tends to come out of those tussles with the puck--which is the whole point.

Now, if you're talking about intimidation, okay--with Fleury, you'd be barking up the wrong tree. But that's why we have Roddy.