The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

I'm guessing if one called up and two sent down before a long road trip that either Necas or Haula, or both must be ready?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

I'm guessing if one called up and two sent down before a long road trip that either Necas or Haula, or both must be ready?

My $ is on Necas 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Michael Smith said Necas will more than likely be back against Edmonton.  He also said he wouldnt be surprised to see another call up today.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Michael Smith said Necas will more than likely be back against Edmonton.  He also said he wouldnt be surprised to see another call up today.

Interesting. They sent Gibbons and Bishop down. Goat up. Wonder who else might come up? Has to be a forward. Eetu maybe?

13 minutes ago, remkin said:

Interesting. They sent Gibbons and Bishop down. Goat up. Wonder who else might come up? Has to be a forward. Eetu maybe?

I hope somebody else will be called up, unless the org wants to have 5-game road trip in Image result for 7-11mode.

• Like 2

TBH, i woulnt mind us running a 7-11 against Edmonton.  Put Pesce and Slavin back together against the top line.  Edmundson/Fleury with Hamilton.  Edmundson/Fleury with TVR.  Gardiner be the 7th guy that would get his time on the PP and in offensive draws.  Slavin has neutralized McDavid relatively well because of his excellent skating, play anticipation, and poke checks.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Haula isnt making the western trip with the team.

Expected lines:

Nino-Aho-Turbo

Svech-Staal-Foeg

Dz-Wally-Necas

McGinn-Marty-Goat

Really like to see Haula get  back, but obviously will be a while. That said, this Aho and Turbo cranking it up, and Svech capable by himself, I do think we have some decent pop on those top 3 lines.

• Like 2

Wallmark is going to play a long time in this league, and has underrated, maybe greatly underrated, upside. Both he and Foegele have taken more games to get rolling than we might have liked, but that's to be expected in anybody's sophomore year. Now they are fast returning to their second-half form of last season.

I do think Nino finally busts out on this trip. He's very close, and hopefully being with TT and Aho will help the Swede find some Finnish. 

• Like 2

Hopefully we keep these guys together for a long time. The Finns or Cherubs as Forslund calls them (where did that get started?) have major chemistry. From Sarah Civ: "...Teravainen has assisted 48 of Sebastian Aho’s 99 career regular-season goals."

• Like 3

9 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Wallmark is going to play a long time in this league, and has underrated, maybe greatly underrated, upside. Both he and Foegele have taken more games to get rolling than we might have liked, but that's to be expected in anybody's sophomore year. Now they are fast returning to their second-half form of last season.

I do think Nino finally busts out on this trip. He's very close, and hopefully being with TT and Aho will help the Swede find some Finnish. 

I'll discuss the other half of the Wallmark/Foegele duo. They are a nice duo for discussion as both guys made their way up the AHL route, first dominating the AHL, that so few long time NHL guys have in our system. Foegele is a year younger but both have a similar number of NHL games.

Foegele showed such a spurt at the end of the year and into the playoffs last year: He had 3 goals in his last 6 regular season games, then 5 goals and 9 points in the first 11 playoff games (nobody did nothin' vs Boston). That was his rookie year. Now that 8 goals in 17 games was a 38 goal pace for the season, which is obviously not reasonable at this point, but it did tempt one to think he could hit 20 this year. But the NHL is hard. Like very hard. Brind'Amour has talked about how this league chews up really good players. So for both Foegele and Wallmark, it is a challenge to stay consistent offensively. 

But as you mention, this is the sophomore year, especially for Foegele, and there are guys whose offense just suddenly clicks at the NHL level after even a few seasons. Foegele put up 30 goals in the AHL, almost all 5 on 5 (OK 28, but in 73 games). As with Wallmark I think he has 20 plus goal upside at the least. 

While we must always put the caveat next to that stat, Foegele's +/- has markedly improved. It would take a deeper dive to prove he's improved that part of his game, but he was -17 last year by far team worst bottom of the barrel (next was Wallmark -8, TT was +30, and only 5 guys with 40 games were negative). Anyways, he was -17 last year, but he's +5 this year good for #7 on the team. His scoring is on pace for 11G and 30P, equal goals but double points of last year. 

I think Foegele has improved his all around game tightening up on D and making more plays for assists at the same time. That is not bad. It means he will start to pick up the goals and become an all around player. That gritty winger who can score, and he has no fear of scoring in the playoffs, even as a rookie.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Try this one on for size....

Faulk is really lighting the lamp with that new big contract.  He is putting up really big numbers.

I have spoken. 

Yep, 31 games, 1goal and 7 assists. You got me!!

• Like 1

As much as Waddell received flak, the team is built for a lengthy run at relevance. 

Got one of the youngest cores in the league

A top 5 farm system that added a bunch of skill

Have at least 1 first, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds in one of the deepest drafts.  If Toronto continues, will be two firsts.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

If Toronto continues, will be two firsts.  

I thought that if they were lottery this year, they kept it and we got their #1 next year 

3 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I thought that if they were lottery this year, they kept it and we got their #1 next year 

Top 10 protected. Im sure at the time Dubas didn’t care if it was Top 10 or lottery protected, he didn’t see the need to worry about semantics. 

Edited by gocanes0506

8 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I think it was top 10 protected. I wonder though, if that's after or before the lottery. I'd have to think after, but I don't know. 

If that's true, the perfect scenario would be for Toronto to miss the playoffs but stay in that thin strip between 21 and 16 or pick 11-15.

Well I guess the perfect scenario would be to skip this year and have them stink next year and get a lottery pick, but that's pretty unlikely. So I'm dreaming of pick #11. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

As much as Waddell received flak, the team is built for a lengthy run at relevance.

Guilty as charged.  I was a hater.  I've come around.  My mind is changed.

I should have known he has a soul when he agreed to do that commercial with the water bottle being sprayed in his face.  Also, when Remkin (I think) conveyed to us the discussion he had with him.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Got one of the youngest cores in the league

A top 5 farm system that added a bunch of skill

Have at least 1 first, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds in one of the deepest drafts.  If Toronto continues, will be two firsts.  

Whenever Waddell gets credited (or if he were blamed) for anything Canes, I feel the need to chip in with my opinion that it should more accurately be The Committee.  While I have no doubt that Waddell is an important part of The Committee, I suspect that Tulsky may be just as (or possibly even more?) important.  With a bunch of other people chipping in as well (including Brindy)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Whenever Waddell gets credited (or if he were blamed) for anything Canes, I feel the need to chip in with my opinion that it should more accurately be The Committee.  While I have no doubt that Waddell is an important part of The Committee, I suspect that Tulsky may be just as (or possibly even more?) important.  With a bunch of other people chipping in as well (including Brindy)

I agree with your point.  My point was a check to all those that dogged the decision of Waddell because of his history with Atlanta and then the Skinner move.  He usually takes all the blame on moves while Eric moves in the background, skillfully.  Eric is a big part.  

Just now, gocanes0506 said:

I agree with your point.  My point was a check to all those that dogged the decision of Waddell because of his history with Atlanta and then the Skinner move.  He usually takes all the blame on moves while Eric moves in the background, skillfully.  Eric is a big part.  

Well, I agree too.  Initially, I viewed Waddell as being so negative, that he'd overwhelm a committee.  Even though he is in the committee, he still is GM.  Dundon has forced a kind of business view on this team.  Most CEOs are part of a committee too, usually called the "executive committee" or more pejoratively, the "c-suite."

Ironically, from what we are hearing, it looks like DW had less power in Atlanta and the raft of owners were the real c-suite, while DW was somewhat powerless. 

On 12/10/2019 at 1:13 AM, top-shelf-1 said:

Nino is a Swiss born player.

18 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Same thing.  

People from Switzerland might not agree.

Agree with Top though, Nino is right there, and we need him.  Rod seems to be really good at putting players in spots to help the team.

• Like 3