The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

13 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

With Hall not playing  that is a sign  he is on his way out of new jersey .   Devils want a kings ransom  from what i heard .  

I didn't know Los Angeles was Jerseys primary trade target. :P 

Looked at standings, and FWIW, Pittsburgh has played 20 home games (14-4-2) and 13 away games (5-6-2). We have played 15 at home and 18 away, with the records being fairly comparable. Hopefully down the road as this evens out, we can get some separation from the Pens. So far their record suggests a big drop off when not playing at home, and they’ve already played half their home games.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Looked at standings, and FWIW, Pittsburgh has played 20 home games (14-4-2) and 13 away games (5-6-2). We have played 15 at home and 18 away, with the records being fairly comparable. Hopefully down the road as this evens out, we can get some separation from the Pens. So far their record suggests a big drop off when not playing at home, and they’ve already played half their home games.

Yah, we’ll get em 4x in March when they’re all healthy 😡

1 hour ago, cc said:

To what end does the vilification of Jordan serve? 

Because Eric is gone so it would serve no purpose to vilify him further. Many not happy with Jordan getting the C, but that was Rod’s call, and there’s no one I trust more to make it. 

23 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Bump cause it was at the bottom of the last page and y’all missed it 

Should equate to a few more wins for us. I usually do not get on the refs but Peel is special.

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Should equate to a few more wins for us. I usually do not get on the refs but Peele is special.

Maybe not wins, but at least better officiated games!

1 hour ago, cc said:

I dont get it. Jordan was never and never will be a  big scoring threat. He has never put up more than 50 points. His offense has fallen off this year but his other assets is what he is all about. Puck control down low,grinding in the corners and face off expertise is his game. My only wish is that he'd put his big body in front of the net more to provide screens and work rebounds or tips. I dont question his leadership and I believe the team fully supports his role. Some believe he should be on the 3rd or 4th line with diminished minutes which would only put a void in the line up without his assets being utilized. Staal's playoff performance last year was excellent, so yeah moving him down in the lineup the opposition would grin ear to ear. The team looks pretty good right now and does look like a playoff team.....dont mess with the mojo.

18 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I dont get it. Jordan was never and never will be a  big scoring threat. He has never put up more than 50 points. His offense has fallen off this year but his other assets is what he is all about. Puck control down low,grinding in the corners and face off expertise is his game. My only wish is that he'd put his big body in front of the net more to provide screens and work rebounds or tips. I dont question his leadership and I believe the team fully supports his role. Some believe he should be on the 3rd or 4th line with diminished minutes which would only put a void in the line up without his assets being utilized. Staal's playoff performance last year was excellent, so yeah moving him down in the lineup the opposition would grin ear to ear. The team looks pretty good right now and does look like a playoff team.....dont mess with the mojo.

Yes, and he is fairly reliable with little downtime.  That's important in this cap era.  Compare to Brandon Sutter who is an injury machine.

The reason the offense comes up is due to the fact people placed high expectations on his O when he was traded.  There were all kinds of wishcasting that him working with The Brother or Someone Not To Be Named would result in massive O output.  That never happened.  It is fun to look back on the speculation though.  See other thread...

5 hours ago, cc said:

I don't think I'm "vilifying" Jordan when I question whether he should be centering the line with our top scorer or whether he should be on the #1 PP unit, given his limited offensive scoring and passing skills and unwillingness to get in front of the goalie. You can agree, disagree, or ignore me. I thought his board was where we could come and praise, question, or criticize Hurricanes hockey without being accused of "vilifying" any particular player.

Jordan is an important member of this team. His experience and steadiness is extremely valuable to our younger players, and probably is the main reason he wears the "C." But over the years, in my view, we (coaches and fans) have expected him to play a role—two-way center—that he is not particularly skilled to play. Slapshot02 is right—Jordan never has been and never will be a big point producer. Wxray1 correctly points out how Jordan came in with high O expectations, which is one thing that fueled the role mismatch. 

I'm simply questioning whether Jordan should be paired with Svech (and Nino with Aho and Turbo) and whether he should be on the #1 PP unit. Those questions seem particularly acute in a year when even the modest O output he's had in the past has fallen off this year (so far). 

In the end, I don't question the "C"—it was inevitable, I think, for reasons I've mentioned elsewhere. To my eye, Jordan doesn't seem to be the out-in-front leader that many team captains are, but I certainly have no way of knowing what kind of leadership he brings to the room. Rod made the decision, so that's that. I also think Jordan is excellent on the #1 PK unit and that his line (sans Svech) should be on ice against the other team's #1 line as much as possible.

But—and maybe I'm way wrong on this—it seems his play is a little different this year, and it's not just his lower O output. It appears to me that he's a step slower and he's doing some of the "Eric coast" we saw the couple of years before Eric was traded. Maybe this due to aging, discouragement over his game, off-ice issues, or whatever. For Jordan's sake and for the team's sake, I genuinely hope he steps up and has every success this year as a player.

Questioning his current offensive role? Yes. Vilifying? Absolutely not.  

Edited by spyglass88
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, spyglass88 said:

Questioning his current offensive role? Yes. Vilifying? Absolutely not.  

They’re directing this at me cause I’m spouting an unpopular opinion.

10 minutes ago, MisterDobz said:

Jonathan Towes May be the canes MVP this season...

Definitely deserves a fruit basket from us this Christmas 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

They’re directing this at me cause I’m spouting an unpopular opinion.

No, mostly because you just spouted off.  I'm calling you out on it.  Fair game.  That's okay here.  Your suggestion to immediately get rid of Staal from the lineup is dumb one, IMO.

13 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

No, mostly because you just spouted off.  I'm calling you out on it.  Fair game.  That's okay here.  Your suggestion to immediately get rid of Staal from the lineup is dumb one, IMO.

Aaaand here we go again...

Just because I have voiced an opinion here and have listed my reasons why I have that opinion doesn’t mean I’m “spouting off” just because you happen to disagree with it.  But, then again, given your repeated adversarial nature towards me, I’m not surprised with your assertion.

Edited by AWACSooner

Check out this excerpt from a The Hockey News All Access + article about Dougie Hamilton.  

https://thehockeynews.com/all-access/article/hurricanes-hamilton-at-peace-after-finding-the-perfect-home-for-his-personality

[It's from their $ subscription section so that's all I could see, but I wouldn't feel comfortable quoting much more than that anyways.]

Click on the text to blow it up so you can see it better.

560481745_Hamiltonexcerpt.thumb.JPG.457b02a2ff47b3854cd629e2f086f803.JPG

I'm having a hard time deciding who my favorite Cane currently is, Dougie or Svech.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Check out this excerpt from a The Hockey News All Access + article about Dougie Hamilton.  

https://thehockeynews.com/all-access/article/hurricanes-hamilton-at-peace-after-finding-the-perfect-home-for-his-personality

[It's from their $ subscription section so that's all I could see, but I wouldn't feel comfortable quoting much more than that anyways.]

Click on the text to blow it up so you can see it better.

560481745_Hamiltonexcerpt.thumb.JPG.457b02a2ff47b3854cd629e2f086f803.JPG

I'm having a hard time deciding who my favorite Cane currently is, Dougie or Svech.

VERY interesting...good on Dougie.

I wonder which of our four n00bs it was...they have a lot to learn about what makes this market so special.