The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

29 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I think there is some cap calculation, waiver calculation and maybe even some looking ahead to the expansion draft calculations going on here. Or we are just trying to get a look at everyone

How many times do we have to look at the same guy for 1-2 games?!?

Yeah I get the notion of letting a guy go back down and work on things, but there is also the notion of letting a guy stay up and work on things. I'd have kept Goat up here a few more games. Sure, send him down eventually, but get him a few more games. I also base this on how good he looked in camp. I agree in part that 4th line minutes are not ideal, but that also feeds into the idea of getting a decent shot to show your stuff and to figure out the NHL game with only a few games at 4th line minutes. 

If the 4th line minutes and not putting scoring prospects on the 4th line is a big deal, then just put Gibbons or Bishop out there and forget it. 

I don't know if it's an expansion thing, I guess I get it, but if Goat can get back to what he was bringing in the preseason he's going to be better than Gibbons, and I think we'd like to know. I thought that the send down was because we thought Haula was ready, and I'm very good with that, but if not, I'd have liked to have seen Goat stay up longer. 

• Like 1

The Hall thing is interesting in that the Devils seemed to be in a hurry to move him. Thinking back on how Sakic held out on Duchene, you'd think that they'd have kept waiting for the best deal. Probable late first rounder, third rounder, a couple of prospects. Wonder if it was a payroll thing, or something else. I guess if you want to keep picking high in the draft getting rid of Hall would help you stay near or at the bottom in tank mode.

Just now, coastal_caniac said:

Good to see a Metro team fall down the stairs.  Doesn't happen often.

Just wish it was the Evil Empire and Craps doing the falling for a change

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cc said:

I’m in NYC a few

blocks from MSG hoping the Preds put em down..

Watching that game right now. I’m openly rooting for Nashville (which I don’t like either) while the Rangers lady here is fuming mad at me 😂😂

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

Watching that game right now. I’m openly rooting for Nashville (which I don’t like either) while the Rangers lady here is fuming mad at me 😂😂

I’ll be a character witness for you in your upcoming litigation ;)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Good to see a Metro team fall down the stairs.  Doesn't happen often.

The Canes will have that much harder a time beating them, then.  Play down to the level of the Metro competition...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

The Canes will have that much harder a time beating them, then.  Play down to the level of the Metro competition...

We have 42 points regardless, and are well above teams close in points by our regulation wins - but point taken, our Metro record sucks. 
We will fix that.

• Like 1

Columbus kicks the Caps *edit* again, this time a 3-0 shutout. Of course Tim Wilson goons it up at the end by launching himself into Gavrikov along the boards. Wish nothing but suspensions for Tommy boy.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

Columbus kicks the Caps *edit* again, this time a 3-0 shutout. Of course Tim Wilson goons it up at the end by launching himself into Gavrikov along the boards. Wish nothing but suspensions for Tommy boy.

BTW, you ARE doing the Jets GDT, right?  Let's not mess with the mojo.

6 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

BTW, you ARE doing the Jets GDT, right?  Let's not mess with the mojo.

I’ll let some else have the honors on that one. I got the Colorado GDT, so im

sure there is plenty of other good mojo on the board to carry over to the Jets game 👍🏽. We’ll win

2 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Gocanes looks to have the honors, we are in good hands.  Get us through the road trip, I have one coming home.

Go Canes!

I’m going to try to make that Cats game at home on the 21st. All else be damned, I’m determined to make at least one home game before the calendar year flips. 😬. Been wearing the white one too long and ready to Don the home black.

Edited by surfzone365

8 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

Clearly a man who doesn't know which side his bed is buttered on...

Trying to get a handle on the East. Looking at goal differential there really are 5 contenders with a goal diff above +20, and of course but one in the West (Colorado). This is could predict that Philly is a pretender at +2. Of course these things can change as we did last year, but that's less common. 

Given that Pittsburgh is +21 despite most of their games without either Malkin or Crosby, Philly falling back would end up being very good. Rangers and MTL around -1 too. Since the Metro has 4 of the 5 teams above +20, getting a slot in the top 3 will be a struggle, especially if Pittsburgh gets a bump from Crosby's eventual return. 

So, mainly we need Philly to drop back, and the NYR and MTL not to get seriously hot. Or we need to lobby to start playing in the West. 

I just want to take a moment to bask in one stat. Here's our past 10 years ranking in this stat:

19-20: #5

18-19: #20

17-18: #22

16-17: #19

15-16: #21

14-15: #15

13-14: #28

12-13: #27

11-12: #20

10-11: #24

This stat? PP. 

Experts say PK is more important (well we have the #1 net PK, so don't need to worry there). But PP is more fun. There is just something psychologically elevating about having a high functioning PP, and something very depressing about having an inept one. I don't have stats on it, but it just has to carry over to other aspects of the game both good for a strong one and bad for a weak one. And given all of the years of ineptitude in this area around here, this is especially delicious. The last time we had a top half fo the league PP was 07-08 when we finished #8. That was 12 years ago. 

Further, the most effective way to keep teams from taking liberties is not an enforcer. It's a lethal PP. 

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but The Committee set out to fix this, and along with coaching and players they have accomplished the mission. This is a good sign that our management might be pretty good. 

Finally, Gardiner was brought in to help here and is only just getting going, and Haula also, who is only just getting back in, so this can get even better.

Anyway, it's just a lot more fun having a crisp, dangerous PP. Even if we don't score, it looks good most of the time. Loving the new PP.

• Like 1

Now that the Adam Fox watch is over and we've locked down the Rangers' other 2nd rounder, it's mostly about the Toronto watch. 

They were clever to make it top 10 protected. First, the top 10 is still odds on for the best players. Second, there is a narrow band after the top 10 before you get into really the "late first-early second range". One scout said he thought that #20-#40 were pretty similar next year. BTW that would also mean a bit of a NYR watch as a nice fall from them could push their second rounder into the top 40. 

Anyways, in an ideal world Toronto finishes #17 to #21, with #21 being optimal. They currently sit #22 in points percentage, which would most likely put them in the top 10 and freeze us out, but by just one slot and it's still way too early. If they finish #21 we likely get the #11 pick depending on the lottery. The other still good thing would be if Toronto barely slides into the playoffs and exits first round, still getting us in that top 19 pick range.

The most optimal thing would be for Toronto to keep the pick, then totally stink next season, getting us an elite pick. But who wants to wait for that, and it also seems unlikely that would happen. Plus, Seattle sneaks in that year. So here's to us getting pick #11. 

Toronto with the Goldilocks "just right" finish around #20, and the NYR to free fall.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, remkin said:

Or we need to lobby to start playing in the West.

Conversation starter. Maybe a conversation held in past years and I missed it before last year. Remove if needed Mods.

Personally, I think it's time for the NHL to toss the three team divisional qualification nonsense, and not because our division record has suffered thus far, for even on that note we rate top 10 with every talking head and writer to be found. The top 8 teams per conference(or even top 16 league wide), automatically awarding the Division leaders of course, is a better measure of season long success thus warranting playoff credential. When you play a mere 1/3 of a season within a division, it fails to reflect the overall performance, and fails to merit a point total gained and lost league wide and measures everyone equally based on that point total. To reward teams for finishing top three in a division is nothing more(seems to me) than a regional TV ploy to hopefully increase ratings come April. A weak division, as happens sometimes, rewards teams for their geographic location and the imperfect designation of division building upon re-alignment, when teams with more points could be left out simply by rule competing for a spot in a tougher stack of teams. They like to say that every point from October to April counts, but I beg to differ based on some of these scenarios. Come march/april, a team locked into a division spot per say, may not need the 2 down the stretch, and depending on opponent, an all out effort to dispose of a team fighting at the bottom of the WC race may not be there, and a team with more points than the division lock, but fighting against a tougher division may be shortchanged(at that time of year, players are tired and HUMAN). I just think it leaves the door open for malfeasance, reduces the idea that every point is ultra valuable, and misses on collecting the best deserving play to be rewarded with post season. JUST my opinion

• Like 3

For all the folks that want to get rid of Staal, I think the reaction from the team to his goal last night says how important he is to his team mates, and his importance as a captain.

• Like 4