The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

18 hours ago, 2ndsacker said:

Conversation starter. Maybe a conversation held in past years and I missed it before last year. Remove if needed Mods.

Personally, I think it's time for the NHL to toss the three team divisional qualification nonsense, and not because our division record has suffered thus far, for even on that note we rate top 10 with every talking head and writer to be found. The top 8 teams per conference(or even top 16 league wide), automatically awarding the Division leaders of course, is a better measure of season long success thus warranting playoff credential. When you play a mere 1/3 of a season within a division, it fails to reflect the overall performance, and fails to merit a point total gained and lost league wide and measures everyone equally based on that point total. To reward teams for finishing top three in a division is nothing more(seems to me) than a regional TV ploy to hopefully increase ratings come April. A weak division, as happens sometimes, rewards teams for their geographic location and the imperfect designation of division building upon re-alignment, when teams with more points could be left out simply by rule competing for a spot in a tougher stack of teams. They like to say that every point from October to April counts, but I beg to differ based on some of these scenarios. Come march/april, a team locked into a division spot per say, may not need the 2 down the stretch, and depending on opponent, an all out effort to dispose of a team fighting at the bottom of the WC race may not be there, and a team with more points than the division lock, but fighting against a tougher division may be shortchanged(at that time of year, players are tired and HUMAN). I just think it leaves the door open for malfeasance, reduces the idea that every point is ultra valuable, and misses on collecting the best deserving play to be rewarded with post season. JUST my opinion

I agree that it could/ should be changed. I am unsure how.

we could have do the division winners and then the 12 best remaining teams in the league. The concern with that or any other “open” version is the teams in the weaker divisions are rewarded more for their level of competition with points. Metro teams will be battling it out all season against each other while Pacific top 3 get their bottom 5 regularly. Of course the west looks stronger top to bottom as the east has three teams below Chicago in points.  

its a hard nut to crack.  Maybe we do the division winners, top remaining 5 in the conferences and the last 2 left up to the top 2 point getters from the league.

the playoff bracket would be based on points with the division winners and 2 others hosting the first round.  The top division point getter gets the lowest point team within their conference or league, whichever is lower. Then it funnels down from there. The last two hosting teams will be based on points remaining and could be playing from any conference.

My method wouldn’t change much in far as who goes to the playoffs as we would have 8 from each conference and those 16 are the top 16 point getters.  We would do the rankings based on 16 league wide instead of by conference. 

if my way started today:

1 Wash

16 Toronto 

8 Pit

9 Vegas

4 Arizona

13 Philadelphia

5 NYI

12 Oilers

other side

2 Boston

15 Buffalo

7 Carolina 

10 Jets

3 STL

14 Calgary

6 Colorado

11 Dallas

this would change hosting teams.  Right now Buffalo is the 2nd team in the Atlantic but is 15th in points.  In the current method they would be hosting Toronto instead, based on points they are at Boston.

the consternation in my way would be the Islanders have more points than the coyotes and would have to play in Arizona in the next round as the lower seed. I cant account for that issue if we are rewarding division winners.  Carolina and Pittsburgh have the same points as Arizona as well.  Of course anyone, like Buffalo, that would be negatively impacted by the change would hate it.

Edited by gocanes0506

I’d keep it at top 8 in each conference make it...re-seed after each round 

And if there are 5 Metro teams in, and #6 still has more points than #3 Atlantic, expect some hellraising at this summer’s GM meetings 

Could do a hybrid. Top 2 teams in each division are locked in to stay home. Then have 4 Wild Cards. The top 2 Wild Cards stay in their conference, but the bottom 2 (4 total), go in based on best record regardless of Conference and can cross over, with the lowest teams crossing over. The very top teams get to play at home vs the very bottom teams. 

Metro 1                 Central 1

Metro 2                 Central 2

Atlantic 1               Pacific 1 

Atlantic 2               Pacific 2

WC1 East              WC1 West

WC2 East              WC2 West

WC3 Open             WC3 Open

WC4 Open             WC4 Open

Only the open slots could be taken by the opposite conference if their record was better. The top two teams in each conference are highly likely to have a decent record (vs the #3 team) and having 4 teams that can swing conferences should be enough to allow all teams that should get in to get in. 

It still allows it to be mostly East-West, but also flex to deal with huge disparities between East and West. If there are two WC3-4 teams from each division I would keep them in their division regardless of record. (Different than my initial paragraph, though either way could work. The reason that the Top teams don't play the bottom team cross conference is making them travel so far in round one for the away games).

Theoretically all 4 bottom WC slots could go to the East or West in a given year, but most years it would close to even and really only 1 or 2 teams would cross over to the other conference. 

I have spoken. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

There is no way the NHL is going to a cross-conference schedule for the playoffs.  It will never happen.

And there is no way they would allow playoffs with fewer teams/series.  Too much money thrown away.

Don't think anyone here is suggesting fewer teams. As to the cross conference thing, in my plan there would be very unlikely no more than 2/16 bottom WC teams crossing over. Most years it would be one or none. But it would allow a team like Montreal last year to get in. 

Last year, a big tilt to the East, the only effect would have been MTL over to the West and Colorado out. MTL had 96 points Colorado 90. It would have resolved entirely the asymmetry because Dallas still had more points than Florida who only had 86. 

I don't really see it happening, just like the 3 points for a game or each team getting one exemption to the under 20 prospect back to juniors, but they're still good ideals. IMO of course.

The NHL tried cross conf playoffs around 1980. I think that it lasted maybe 2-3 years, but I'm not sure. The four division champs were 1 seeds, and then 5-12 were seeded per their record. Format was #1 vs #16, #2 vs #15, and so on. It fell out of favor, perhaps because of travel, and loss of regional rivalries. If they did it today, imagine a first round series between Vancouver and Florida as an example. It just doesn't make sense.

24 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

NHL Power ranking:

pr.thumb.png.ebb0f98702da5f73aa064a4342175f15.png

We are doing well :) 

Sixth in ESPN's power rankings as well.  (the theme this week is "Hopes and Dreams in 2020")

6. Carolina Hurricanes

Previous ranking: 6

That they can remain a puck possession monster in the new year. The Canes are the best 5-on-5 team in shot attempt percentage (54.77) in the NHL, one of the reasons why Carolina is fifth in goals-against average this season (2.62).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AssistantGM said:

The NHL tried cross conf playoffs around 1980. I think that it lasted maybe 2-3 years, but I'm not sure. The four division champs were 1 seeds, and then 5-12 were seeded per their record. Format was #1 vs #16, #2 vs #15, and so on. It fell out of favor, perhaps because of travel, and loss of regional rivalries. If they did it today, imagine a first round series between Vancouver and Florida as an example. It just doesn't make sense.

I have no delusion that the NHL would adopt my proposal, I would point out though that my idea would only involve 1-2 teams crossing over. The main "loser" of it would be the team that played the crossover team since they would have to travel for the up to 3 road games, and the team in the conference that was so bad that they were many points worse that the team that got in cross conference. This is different than the whole thing going 1-16 and crossing up all over the place. 

Personally, I'd rather see a team get in that was a lot better than another, even if one team joined the weaker conference.

However, the problem with my suggestion that actually kills it for me would be that some of the time there would only be a one point difference between the teams, and that wouldn't seem worth doing the crossover. They could set a number of points difference above which it kicks in, but that would be too variable and just too complex and odd and no league would go for that.

So, in the end, I nix my own idea because it only becomes a real issue if the disparity is big and that is not common enough to be worth mixing up the whole system.

Cross-conference playoffs just won't work.  Seeding within conferences could change, but Bettman has been on record repeatedly that he likes the current format, and it is supported by the BOG's.  I don't see things changing anytime soon.

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Cross-conference playoffs just won't work.  Seeding within conferences could change, but Bettman has been on record repeatedly that he likes the current format, and it is supported by the BOG's.  I don't see things changing anytime soon.

We have no business being in the division we are in.  Caps, Bolts, Preds, Lightning,  and Panthers should be in a division together.

From the December 20 "spike the egg nog" worthy positives department, OR Who'da Thunk it department

1. CANES would have fewer losses than all but 3 teams(2 in our division, 1 the team we beat last night)

2. CANES would be 4th in goal differential(+14 on TB)

3. CANES would be 2-0 in SO, 4-2 in OT

4. CANES would again have 2 goaltenders with under  2.5/game, over .900, 8+ wins and 4 shutouts

5. CANES would have PK AND PP Top 6

6. CANES would be 6+ points clear of any team that could get hot and challenge us for a playoff spot

7. CANES would be Top 5 in D scoring

8. CANES would have 8 skaters on pace for 40 points

9. CANES would have 1/2 our road games done, both western swings done, and +5 home games remaining

10. CANIACS would be staying up for the MOST west games EVER. Haaaaa

Last night had to be the most raucus filled, fun plane ride home in CANES history.

No matter the next two, MERRY CHRISTMAS CANIACS........

• Like 2

Raleigh to Charlotte frequent miles club

Canes Reassign Gibbons to Charlotte - Forward has skated in 15 NHL games this season

RT @MSmithCanes: Erik Haula has been skating with the #Canes since Monday in Banff. If his body has responded well to that + the off-ice work he continues to do, he might be ready to play Saturday vs. Florida

The holiday trade freeze is in effect but there is no freeze on rumors and speculation

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OBXer said:

There are teams who wonder if they can pry Gardiner out of Carolina before the Feb. 24 trade deadline because of his usage on the Hurricanes (5th Canes D TOI)... Something to monitor in the second half. On other hand, nice depth/luxury to have for Carolina

Did he actually use the verb "pry" related to trading Gardiner?  "pry Gardiner out"?  Am I reading that correctly?  I am pretty sure Carolina would print the trade documents, hand deliver them to any team in the league (distance no problem), get the signature(s) on said documents, hand deliver them to the league office, and be happy to have unloaded that contract in exchange for a gift card to 7/11 for a Slurppy.  Are you kidding?  What is he, -17, and making way too much $ for way too many years?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Did he actually use the verb "pry" related to trading Gardiner?  "pry Gardiner out"?  Am I reading that correctly?  I am pretty sure Carolina would print the trade documents, hand deliver them to any team in the league (distance no problem), get the signature(s) on said documents, hand deliver them to the league office, and be happy to have unloaded that contract in exchange for a gift card to 7/11 for a Slurppy.  Are you kidding?  What is he, -17, and making way too much $ for way too many years?

I'm good with Gardiner. He has had a tough start with us but has been coming on lately. You never know but history says his game will pick up. We might trade him but we won't give him away for nothing.

30 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Raleigh to Charlotte frequent miles club

Unfortunately, I am concerned that Haula's injury could turn into a career threatening situation.  He has been a huge addition to the club when he is on the ice, but having missed most of last season, and given the perception that his recent injury is related to last year's (plus knowing what a bum knee combined with an impact sport can do), it would not surprise me that Haula is skating on borrowed time.  We will see when he returns.  All the more reason to welcome back JW.

Edited by beboplar
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I'm good with Gardiner. He has had a tough start with us but has been coming on lately. You never know but history says his game will pick up. We might trade him but we won't give him away for nothing.

Gardiner's goal line save came in at #3 on Sportscenter's Top Ten Plays list last night. Just an interesting note; I'm not saying one play means a whole lot in the overall discussion,  Leafs fans have said that Gardiner's back injury last season really effected his play.  I still wonder if his early struggles were due in part to a knock-on effect.

Edited by LakeLivin

Just now, LakeLivin said:

Gardiner's goal line save came in at #3 on Sportscenter's Top Ten Plays list last night. Just an interesting note, I'm not saying one play means a whole lot in the overall discussion,  Leafs fans have said that Gardiner's back injury last season really effected his play.  I still wonder if his early struggles were due in part to a knock-on effect.

Lake, you’re probably right...but we will never know. 

58 minutes ago, beboplar said:

That may be true of us fans but I dont think any FO in the league would trade someone because of their +/-. Also he doesnt sit out. Meaning some combo of Rod and the committee feel he is better then Fluery/TVR. Not saying they won't trade him but yes he would need to be pried away. Also he has been playing very well the last few weeks

2 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Lake, you’re probably right...but we will never know. 

We might.  We found out about Dougie's hand injury after last season was over . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

2 hours ago, 2ndsacker said:

8. CANES would have 8 skaters on pace for 40 points

Hey I got one! But yeah, lots of good, lots of good.