The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

4 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Me too.  Only a week ago people suggested sitting Staal in the press box or trading him.    

And it wasn't too long ago that a couple people were contemplating bringing Ned or Forsberg up in place of Reimer.  

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 2ndsacker said:

From the December 20 "spike the egg nog" worthy positives department, OR Who'da Thunk it department

1. CANES would have fewer losses than all but 3 teams(2 in our division, 1 the team we beat last night)

2. CANES would be 4th in goal differential(+14 on TB)

3. CANES would be 2-0 in SO, 4-2 in OT

4. CANES would again have 2 goaltenders with under  2.5/game, over .900, 8+ wins and 4 shutouts

5. CANES would have PK AND PP Top 6

6. CANES would be 6+ points clear of any team that could get hot and challenge us for a playoff spot

7. CANES would be Top 5 in D scoring

8. CANES would have 8 skaters on pace for 40 points

9. CANES would have 1/2 our road games done, both western swings done, and +5 home games remaining

10. CANIACS would be staying up for the MOST west games EVER. Haaaaa

Last night had to be the most raucus filled, fun plane ride home in CANES history.

No matter the next two, MERRY CHRISTMAS CANIACS........

After last night Canes are up to 3rd in goal differential (+16 on TB). :thumbsup2:

9 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Me too.  Only a week ago people suggested sitting Staal in the press box or trading him.    

Who in the hell would suggest such a thing?  Must be the board idiot!  

• Like 1

Ennis has really good hands but this shows you how difficult it is and how good Svech is.  Ennis attempt is very slow compared to Svech’s. 

im not dogging Ennis here, he does it a lot better than I ever could.

Looking a head the next 8 on the schedule are big.

we have two at home against the division leader.  Those will be heavy, hard fought games. We have 4 games against middle of the pack Atlantic teams that are battling for positioning / sneaking in as a WC: @Toronto, Florida, TB, and Montreal.  We also play two games against metro teams trying to catch us, Philly and @Rangers. 

Need to do well against this bunch to ensure put some distance between us and the teams chasing us.  6 of 8 at home!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Ennis has really good hands but this shows you how difficult it is and how good Svech is.  Ennis attempt is very slow compared to Svech’s. 

im not dogging Ennis here, he does it a lot better than I ever could.

No chances at all on that play. There were no teammates in front if the goal to draw goalie's and defenseman's attention

8 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Looking a head the next 8 on the schedule are big.

we have two at home against the division leader.  Those will be heavy, hard fought games. We have 4 games against middle of the pack Atlantic teams that are battling for positioning / sneaking in as a WC: @Toronto, Florida, TB, and Montreal.  We also play two games against metro teams trying to catch us, Philly and @Rangers. 

Need to do well against this bunch to ensure put some distance between us and the teams chasing us.  6 of 8 at home!

Every game of the season starts 0-0, and with this league of parity, is up for grabs.  One shift at a time, one period at a time, one game at a time.  Forecasts such as 6 of 8 can only lead to disappointment.

• Like 1

I dunno what Haley Salvian thinks almost is but it ain't that. He was losing control of the puck as he was lifting it and then the lumberjack slash. If defensemen think that's how you defend that we will also enjoy some free powerplays from the slash.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

I'm good with Gardiner. He has had a tough start with us but has been coming on lately. You never know but history says his game will pick up. We might trade him but we won't give him away for nothing.

1 hour ago, Derailed75 said:

That may be true of us fans but I dont think any FO in the league would trade someone because of their +/-. Also he doesnt sit out. Meaning some combo of Rod and the committee feel he is better then Fluery/TVR. Not saying they won't trade him but yes he would need to be pried away. Also he has been playing very well the last few weeks

This. Fully agree. He plays better and better and may not reach full potential yet this season. Rod (and likely the Committee) is very patient to support, coach and develop players - that make me think that they see something valuable in Gards and take their time to let him flourish. The same I would apply to Svech-Staal-Foegele line. How many times we called for break it? - How many goals they scored together in this road trip? To let a player "figure it out" and reach full potential by creating proper environment/support - that is the feature of a great coach and Rod is one. He has at least one challenge left - get Nino on the scoresheet... :) 

And even with Nino not scoring directly he has been playing very well. Even in the scoring drive we are in goals in the NHL arent like buckets in basketball, there are only so many per game and sometimes you just do t get them for awhile. Nino needs to just keep doing what he has been doing and either goals will come or the team will keep winning or both. He was a big part of getting those 9 points even if he didnt score

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Uh, dude, you aren't Svech.

I just re-watched Svech's and noticed:

-First one against the Flames he faked like he was going around behind the net to far side, the D in front of the net bit and went to meet him far side, then he pulled it up near side and scored 

-Second one against the Jets he came from the glove side and wrapped it around to blocker side. Didn't stop behind the net, he pulled it up mid stride

I tuned out for Tripp's breakdown at the second intermission last night so sorry if this has already been said. 

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

NHL article: Svechnikov lacrosse-style goals get attention of NHL goalies

https://www.nhl.com/news/unmasked-stopping-andrei-svechnikov-lacrosse-style-goals/c-312825572

Crazy that Hellebuyck tracked him and defended it well but Svech still scored. We might have to wait some games for him to do it again when the opponent least expects it 

• Like 1

There is an article on The Athletic about Jake Gardiner.

The beginning is intriguing, but you have to start free trial to read full story.

If anybody have a subscription or want to start free trial (I didn't) please publish some excerpts or in full here - it may help some haters and the rest of us to learn about him more... Thanks.

2 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

There is an article on The Athletic about Jake Gardiner.

The beginning is intriguing, but you have to start free trial to read full story.

If anybody have a subscription or want to start free trial (I didn't) please publish some excerpts or in full here - it may help some haters and the rest of us to learn about him more... Thanks.

In short:

Gardiner played through a back injury last year

Glad to be in a low key market since he has a kid. He actually turned down a higher AAV contract from a big market, rival of Toronto.

Just bought a house and is moving in soon.

As a subscriber, I don’t feel I should share more. 

• Like 1

The Svetch lacrosse goal is something he does so smoothly and skillfully it is scary.  As the NHL article says: "he does it without breaking stride."

That's what makes it so damn skilled and tough to defend, because Svetch basically has options while behind the net.

Ennis' attempt was almost comical, including a complete break in stride.  Reminds me of anyone who tries something without a lot practice.  Kicking a football comes to mind, for example.  Skilled players make it look so easy.  And then you try... "ha ha ha ha ha" is what Charlie Brown found out.

Gardiner is playing much better of late and he is very skilled and smooth. The upside is high.

Pulling the Svech in the NHL is a much higher degree of difficulty than other leagues. On both of Svech's goals the goalie got over and even tried to close the top corner. There is not much room there, and a second later there is none. 

Not saying no one will do it, but it is much harder.

Ennis moved way too slowly to pull off the lacrosse goal. Fox Sports showed Svech’s 2 goals. On the first, he had the puck up and in the goal in .7 seconds, and on the second, it was up and in in .5 seconds. I’m sure someone else will do it, and maybe soon. Maybe it will be Ennis, but they have to be quicker than he was on that play. I was in the stands sitting at the goal line low in the upper bowl for the first one, and had no idea what happened except Svech celebrated and the goal horn went off. It happened so fast and of course I’ve never seen anything like it. I kind of hope someone else does do it, preferably from the Leafs or Rangers, so the league doesn’t outlaw it this summer.

Looking at the standings, it seems the Rangers may be falling back to earth. Pittsburgh unfortunately is starting to even out home vs. away games (still 20 at home vs. 15 on the road), but could they please start losing away games without Crosby. Philadelphia has won their last two, but their trend over the last 10 games is they are falling off. Minnesota must have peed in someone’s cornflakes because they have played only 13 home games (and won 10), but 23 away games. I know most of these teams share arenas, but the NHL should not schedule such wide disparities in home and away games. Yes it’s even in the end, but with 23 of 36 on the road to start the season a team could easily get buried before the schedule evens out. Hurricane like comebacks (and St. Louis) from last year don’t come along often.